Jump to content
Wagster

Snapped My Dobyns Champion Extreme 703SF

Recommended Posts

 I was throwing a 1/8 ounce lure when my 703SF snapped in half. There was a moment of silence before the #@&$%#@! came outta my mouth. I have no idea why it snapped but I'm confident that Dobyns will take care of me. 

 

19990295_10154750096680267_7215870472465410560_n.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When rods break under conditions you describe it is often caused by previous un-noticed damage, like striking the edge of a boat, stepped on, got whacked by another rod or a lure flying back, etc.  Doesn't take much, if struck just right.  Or, if the rod is pretty new and hadn't been cast much before, could just be a defect.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MickD said:

When rods break under conditions you describe it is often caused by previous un-noticed damage, like striking the edge of a boat, stepped on, got whacked by another rod or a lure flying back, etc.  Doesn't take much, if struck just right.  Or, if the rod is pretty new and hadn't been cast much before, could just be a defect.

 I haven't struck it on a boat, stepped on it or had a lure fly back and smack it. It may have just been a defect. It's great rod and hopefully I can get it back on the water soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll probably have to pay 20$ for them to ship the rod to you + the champion replacment fee which is around 60$.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only mentioned the previous damage issue since many don't understand just how fragile modern high modulus rods can be.  Of course I have no way of knowing what happened to yours.

 

1 minute ago, iabass8 said:

You'll probably have to pay 20$ for them to ship the rod to you + the champion replacment fee which is around 60$.

 

Wow, not a great warranty.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MickD said:

I only mentioned the previous damage issue since many don't understand just how fragile modern high modulus rods can be.  Of course I have no way of knowing what happened to yours.

 

 

Wow, not a great warranty.

Do you think companies should replace a rod free of charge because somebody says "i broke x rod fishing a tiny bait. I never boat flip, i use rod covers, i baby my stuff, etc"? Could this be true of the OP? Sure. For every true story theres 400 liars that want to take advantage of something. A company has no way of  knowing the truth. If his rods new, sure he will get a new one probably for free. It he (or anybody) breaks a rod after a year of use and thinks they should get a replacement for free is delusional. Sometimes a company will do it. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, iabass8 said:

Do you think companies should replace a rod free of charge because somebody says "i broke x rod fishing a tiny bait. I never boat flip, i use rod covers, i baby my stuff, etc"? Could this be true of the OP? Sure. For every true story theres 400 liars that want to take advantage of something. A company has no way of  knowing the truth. If his rods new, sure he will get a new one probably for free. It he (or anybody) breaks a rod after a year of use and thinks they should get a replacement for free is delusional. Sometimes a company will do it. 

I uderstand that but I honestly have done nothing but baby that rod since getting it a few weeks ago. I was looking forward to taking it to Harpers Ferry this week for some Potomac smallmouth fishing. I'm sure it will get resolved in the near future.

 

 Anglers Express is a local Dobyns dealer and after I hear back from Dobyns I'll take it there for them to handle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wagster said:

I uderstand that but I honestly have done nothing but baby that rod since getting it a few weeks ago. I was looking forward to taking it to Harpers Ferry this week for some Potomac smallmouth fishing. I'm sure it will get resolved in the near future.

If you got it a few weeks ago it will probably be free. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, iabass8 said:

If you got it a few weeks ago it will probably be free. 

 

 

 

Why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, tcbass said:

 

 

 

Why?

Because a rod only being a few weeks old with minimal, if any, use that breaks can  plausibly and realistically be chalked up to a manufacturing defect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Wagster said:

 I was throwing a 1/8 ounce lure when my 703SF snapped in half. There was a moment of silence before the #@&$%#@! came outta my mouth. I have no idea why it snapped but I'm confident that Dobyns will take care of me. 

 

 

 

That happens to my favorite wacky rod (BPS CarbonLite 6'8 M/XF). That rod was my bass slayer ...

I just stood there ...for a good moment ...until I launched out the colorful words :)

 

but on the bright side, I got the St. Croix LTB in 6'8 M/XF ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MickD said:

Wow, not a great warranty.

 

$80, no questions asked, life time replacement on a $340 rod? Sounds like a great warranty to me. I could snap my rod in half every two years for the rest of my life and keep getting a brand new $340 rod for only $80.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, you all can stop beating on me now.

 

Original poster, if you don't have to replace that rod, it most likely can be fixed and will be better than new (no defect in repaired rod).  I expect you'll have to send it back, but if not. . .  If you need details post again.

22 minutes ago, fishballer06 said:

 

$80, no questions asked, life time replacement on a $340 rod? Sounds like a great warranty to me. I could snap my rod in half every two years for the rest of my life and keep getting a brand new $340 rod for only $80.

'

You could if you're a crook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MickD said:

OK, you all can stop beating on me now.

 

Original poster, if you don't have to replace that rod, it most likely can be fixed and will be better than new (no defect in repaired rod).  I expect you'll have to send it back, but if not. . .  If you need details post again.

'

You could if you're a crook.

How does utilizing a lifetime warranty make you a crook??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The op is a friend of mine. I know when he got the rod and I cast it just a few days after he got it. It broke the next day. That was the first Champion Extreme I have had a chance to cast. What a nice rod.  Heart braking for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being that new, it is probably got damaged enroute to you or the store if you bought it from one. Or, if you might have a little nephew who stepped on it accidentally and didn't tell you, lol.   I am sure they will inspect the damage to ascertain the true cause of the break.

 

Lamiglas, a local company in my area deals similarly to what iabass8 described.  They assess the damage and tell you what your options are. If rod companies replaced every rod we break free of charge, they'd all go broke.  Fortunately, for the OP's case, being that new, I'd be inclined to think they'd replace it without issue.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm actually waiting for a Dobyns replacement rod after one of mine broke when my son stepped on it. You just send back the 6 inch segment of the blank that has the logo and model number, in a padded envelope with your info and a nice check.

 

The replacement cost for the Extreme, BTW, is $80+$20 = $100. You can also just bring the broken rod to a Dobyns dealer, give them the $80 and they'll hand you a new replacement rod if they have one. That way you can get a rod right away and also save $20.

 

I sent Dobyns my 6 inch segment 3 weeks ago and haven't received or heard anything yet. My rod was only 2 months old. The foot that stepped on it was 28 years old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sure hope I don't have to pay since I didn't do anything wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like it's a defect and should be a free replacement.  You just need to pay shipping but they need to determine if it's a defect or was caused by you.   This could be an interesting conversation!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I broke a brand new Champion Extreme HP first time out by hitting my trolling motor. It will cost you $100 regardless of the reason for the HP. Turned a $350 rod into a $450 rod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, you got $700 worth of rods for $450. "Warranty " often gets confused with replacement program. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got my new Dobyns rod today, through the replacement program. It took about three weeks from when I mailed them the blank segment and check. Came by UPS in a PVC tube.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spoke with Dobyns and they will honor a full warranty even though I'm not the original owner as long as they determine that's it's a factory defect. If not I will have to pay a replacement fee. I honestly can't ask for more than that. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing poles

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×