Primus

Opinions of Livingston lures

I have no doubt that they will catch a few fish, that said I'm curious if the electronic chirping sounds have made a difference in the overall catch rate and if there are any noteworthy baits in their line-up that have performed well for you . I've dabbled with them a little but I was not overly impressed with the couple of baits that I tried, however I don't think I've put in enough time with their baits for a fair evaluation. 

I've tried several and haven't been impressed, especially for the price. Only one I've liked enough to keep is the Walking Boss Part II. Basically a long, jointed Jitterbug that chirps. I've done pretty well with it and the noise does seem to make a difference to fish staring at it while it's at rest.

• Like 1

Like a lot of guys, my inclination is to avoid them for two good reasons:  they are expensive (by my standards) and I despise gimmicks or gimmicky things.

However.

I found some at clearance prices at a couple of Walmarts and so I bought a few.  

I've had good success with the ProRipper, fishing it every which way: burning, yo-yo-ing, etc.  In classic TW review style, I even "caught a bass on my first cast" with one: chucked into a pocket among weeds and it got nailed as it fluttered down.  I then promptly got another burning it like mad across a shallow flat.  I've had more success letting it flutter on the fall near targets.  Is it the flutter, the shimmy, or the chirping?  Who knows.  All I can say that I have to give it credit - it worked.

• Like 1

I have tried a few cranks but not really impressed. I think I will just stick to my Bandits.

I don't own a single one, if that gives you any idea of my opinion...

I don't doubt that, on occasion, the weird peeping and grunting "baitfish sounds" may generate a reaction strike you wouldn't have gotten without them.

But is it really any different than a rattle?  I can get rattling crankbaits and topwaters for much cheaper.

• Like 1

I bought into the gimmick when Howell won the Classic on the DMC squarebill. I bought a handful of the DMC, Lipless and Wakebaits. Now I have sold off all but one DMC, Lipless and Wake but I am still trying to unload them. I'll stick with my Strike King and River2Sea.

• Like 1

I use one of the mid depth cranks that I like.  I do not know if the sound and lights help at all but I like the weight and action of it.  I own 3 of that bait but I don't really feel the need to buy any more of their hard baits.  I have pocked up their swimbaits and I like the design of those. their smaller 4 inch models remind me of the smaller Hud baits in their action.  like the weedless shad.

• Like 1