Jump to content
bigbill

Let’s talk italian food

Recommended Posts

I’m italian and every holiday it’s homemade pasta. As we (misses) get older it’s rough making and prepping all the foods. Our local market has celetano frozen pastas. But it’s close but not homemade. I was asked to checkout this place in ny city called Pastosa ravioli there online and do mailorder. This is as close to homemade pasta as I ever had. Check them out. There manicotti is just like homemade. This pasta is fresh made. Add sauce to the pan, add the manicotti cover with some sauce and bake 20 to 25 minutes. No preservatives 

 

i been insearch of italian sausage too. I found some great sausage at Espositos sausage in ny city too. There online. No preservatives 

 

another good sausage is at wholey in penn. Another great product. Online ordering. No persertavies.

 

Lets talk about any foods.

 

lets talk about good food. If you know of any other good sausage makers or foods post. I want to get away from persertavie chemicals.

 

theres just too many of us baby boomers having health problems as we get older.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well....now that you got me hungry I did find some sauerkraut in the store the other day called "Saverne" Artisanal kraut...made with Craft Beer....gotta say this was awesome....very mild.  Went really well with some "BB'Qd" Simple Truth Polish from Kroger 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a BBQ fanatic.  So I smoke a lot of different meats and use different sauces and rubs depending on the meat.  If I want something special or want to send a gift I order from here:

https://www.nueskes.com/about/

 

If I want BBQ sauces I get them all from Kansas City.

 

Gates: Ribs

Arthur Bryants: Pulled Pork

Haywards: Burnt Ends

Jack Stack: General Use

 

If I want to send pastry as a gift I order from here:

https://www.ohdanishbakery.com/everyday-kringle-favorites/wisconsin-kringle

 

Best Kringle on the planet.  

 

My father used to own a few restaurants/steakhouses in Nebraska so I have some other go to places for meats (steak cuts/Prime Rib) as well.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am from Louisiana.

 

Too much to write about.

 

Bon Apatite!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mention italian food because not everyone has italian food available across our country. It’s so easily done with Pastosa ravioli. Stuffed shells or manicotti just add sauce and bake 20 to 25 minutes. Make some home made garlic bread and a salad your good to go. Any pasta you boil should be aldente still chewy not over cooked soggy. Tender yet chewy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We lived in Aviano Italy for 6 years (Pops was Air Force). Mom learned how to make a mean Carbonara. Rolled out and cut her own pasta.  Wish she woulda left a recipe. It’s one of my favorites. Pasta Aglio E Olio is up there too.

 

Planning a trip there this summer hopefully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I love Italian. She's an amazing cook and makes

a ridiculously delish baked ziti. Among many dishes.

 

One of my absolute fave dishes is Penne Rustica at Macaroni

Grill. My wife learned how to make it and holy cow is it almost

identical!!

 

Love ribs, love BBQ, but I'm actually waaay more partial to 

Eastern Carolina (vinegary) style BBQ over ketchupy-style

BBQ...but I like both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bigbill said:

I mention italian food because not everyone has italian food available across our country. It’s so easily done with Pastosa ravioli. Stuffed shells or manicotti just add sauce and bake 20 to 25 minutes. Make some home made garlic bread and a salad your good to go. Any pasta you boil should be aldente still chewy not over cooked soggy. Tender yet chewy.

Sauce? We call it gravy in these parts, and mom's gravy is a recipe that spans at least 4 generations and came over from Calabria.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to cook and i like to make italian as well.  I love making fresh pasta and sauces.  I'm also a big an of using my smoker but i am against sauces for the most part.  I prefer to dry rub and let the taste of the meat come through, not the taste of the sauce.  My favorite thing to make on the smoker is shredded beef sandwiches, which is probably what i am going to make on super bowl sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my closest neighbors growing up was Sicilian. I think the only ones I've ever met.  She made absolutely the best meatballs in the world even better than my mom's who was a North Carolinian born and bred ! But miss agata could not have beaten my moms fried chicken or fried fish ,  samon cakes  , or cornbread !

 

Present day I go to olive garden every now and then and enjoy the food and trying to pronounce the words on the menu !😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

man! you cook it I eat it! you kill it eat it!  you invite me I eat it!, if I can make a mess and don't have to do dishes I really eat it. basically I see it I eat it!:hello:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2018 at 4:10 PM, bigbill said:

I’m italian and every holiday it’s homemade pasta. As we (misses) get older it’s rough making and prepping all the foods. Our local market has celetano frozen pastas. But it’s close but not homemade. I was asked to checkout this place in ny city called Pastosa ravioli there online and do mailorder. This is as close to homemade pasta as I ever had. Check them out. There manicotti is just like homemade. This pasta is fresh made. Add sauce to the pan, add the manicotti cover with some sauce and bake 20 to 25 minutes. No preservatives 

 

i been insearch of italian sausage too. I found some great sausage at Espositos sausage in ny city too. There online. No preservatives 

 

another good sausage is at wholey in penn. Another great product. Online ordering. No persertavies.

 

Lets talk about any foods.

 

lets talk about good food. If you know of any other good sausage makers or foods post. I want to get away from persertavie chemicals.

 

theres just too many of us baby boomers having health problems as we get older.

I think preservatives are a good thing. They reduce food borne illness, I don't have to shop as often, I don't throw away as much food, and it reduces the amount of money I have to spend buying food. There are a lot risks from eating food that spoiled. The health risks from eating the preservative I believe is minimal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Scott F said:

I think preservatives are a good thing. They reduce food borne illness, I don't have to shop as often, I don't throw away as much food, and it reduces the amount of money I have to spend buying food. There are a lot risks from eating food that spoiled. The health risks from eating the preservative I believe is minimal.

Your kidding right? It's pretty well known that the chemical preservatives used in the food system are linked to cancer, asthma, allergies and probably anything else you can think of. Even the American Cancer Society states you should steer clear of preservatives if you wish to attempt to remain cancer free. So maybe you have to go shopping a couple times a week, it's what the rest of the world does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, deaknh03 said:

Your kidding right? It's pretty well known that the chemical preservatives used in the food system are linked to cancer, asthma, allergies and probably anything else you can think of. Even the American Cancer Society states you should steer clear of preservatives if you wish to attempt to remain cancer free. So maybe you have to go shopping a couple times a week, it's what the rest of the world does.

A few preservatives have been linked to an increased risk of cancer, not ALL of them. At some point or another almost everything has been linked to cancer. My sister was a health nut. She avoided anything that was linked to cancer. She didn't eat meat, she bought organic foods. We buried her a few years ago after she died from the disease. Peanuts can kill you if you are allergic to them. My friends son is allergic to peanuts, dairy, wheat, and who knows what else. All of those things can kill him in minutes. The epi pens that are used to save his life in case of an allergic reaction have preservatives in them. The insulin that keeps diabetes under control has preservatives that keep you from getting an infection. To condemn all preservatives as a bad thing isn't right.

 I'm living now and have to survive on a limited income. I can't afford to throw food away because I can't finish it before it spoils. I'll take my chances with the preservatives. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did somebody say...Italian food? 

 

My wife makes pasta from scratch, sauce as well.  I make a pretty good lobster ravioli.  It's a wonder I can keep at ~200 lbs. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Scott F said:

A few preservatives have been linked to an increased risk of cancer, not ALL of them. At some point or another almost everything has been linked to cancer. My sister was a health nut. She avoided anything that was linked to cancer. She didn't eat meat, she bought organic foods. We buried her a few years ago after she died from the disease. Peanuts can kill you if you are allergic to them. My friends son is allergic to peanuts, dairy, wheat, and who knows what else. All of those things can kill him in minutes. The epi pens that are used to save his life in case of an allergic reaction have preservatives in them. The insulin that keeps diabetes under control has preservatives that keep you from getting an infection. To condemn all preservatives as a bad thing isn't right.

 I'm living now and have to survive on a limited income. I can't afford to throw food away because I can't finish it before it spoils. I'll take my chances with the preservatives. 

Your kinda making my point. Your friends son is allergic to basically food. I'm a firm believer in no chemicals in my food, and that means from seed to table. There's no coincidence that the astronomical rise is health defects has happened in lockstep with the increased use of chemicals in our food system. I'm on a limited budget as well, but it's more about the quality of life to my family. My kids don't get sick, don't have any allergies, don't have add,adhd or any other of the telltale symptoms of chemical poisoning. 

That being said...to each his own. My mom makes the best lasagna west of italy. I will say my wife makes a darn good one as well, but something about the sauce cooking in the house for 10 hours with sausages, meatballs and braciole floating in the pot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing poles

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×