WI_Angler1989

St Croix Rods- Factory Seconds

Hey All,

Who out there has experience with St Croix's factory second rods?? I'm curious as to what the "defects" could be to make them fall into that category. A Buddy and I are planning out a trip/fish-along/pilgrimage up to Park Falls this spring, starting here in Eau Claire, following back roads and ending at the St Croix factory. We'll be traveling along a number of great rivers here in WI: the Chippewa, Flambeau, and Eagle River. Not to mention a bunch of lakes.

I'm guessing that a new rod may be in order as well...

The seconds have a factory blemish. It is nearly always a cosmetic defect that is very difficult to even find.  They only have a one year warranty and are marked with an “S” on the reel seat or if it has a foam handle, it might be marked on the butt end. The amount of B stock rods is limited and they don’t have every size of every model. They also sell combos with a B stock rod and a reel. The reels are almost always low end models. You never know what you will find until you get there. 

While you are there, check out the “C” stock rods. These are rods that had the tip broken off and have been repaired. You can get a used $300 rod for $50. It might be one inch or one foot shorter than when it was made. There  is a measuring stick in the bin so you can see the current length. No warranty on those rods.  Depending on when you are there, they might have closeouts on new “A” stock, discontinued rods that have the full warranty. 

Its also a full tackle shop with full retail prices on lures. If you like St Croix branded clothing they have that too. 

Where do I find a location to buy these rods?

19 minutes ago, Chuck Popeeye Moser said:

Where do I find a location to buy these rods?

They only sell them at the St. Croix factory store in Park Falls WI.  You could call them up though and see what they have in stock.

Thanks....tight lines

20170227_122145.thumb.jpg.d9a693c357aec9d6c54fa3da8e1fdd82.jpg.e2fbcf3c14ee3541cb11cb5d3b815d2f.jpgI can attest to the greatness that is St.croixs rod factory. These are all seconds, 50%+ off these. If i handed you 1, theres no way you could tell it was a "b" stock. Have fun on your trip up there, its awesome! Be sure to post what ya findB)

• Like 2

I go to the St Croix store from the Chicago area around 3 times a year for many years and I’ve never seen the B stock rods at 50% off. Normally the discount is closer to 30%

I have a couple "B" stock rods, as mentioned above they only have a 1 year warranty and some blemish which you may or may not be able to figure out. Every time I've gone the B stocks are 30% off, and you can get an additional 20% off the B stock rod if you buy a new rod full price at the same time. As far as I know the blemishes are likely issues with the cork, some sort of pit or something. Could also be the finish of the blank or the St Croix decals, etc. There shouldn't be anything functionally wrong and like I mentioned I don't even know what's wrong the the few that I have.

I've only ever seen them at 50% lol. My last trip up they accidentally rang up a premier crankbait rod (b stock) at full price and i failed to notice. Called them up and they immediately sent me a gift card to cover the half that was off. Awesome people and company.