Jump to content
nwstriper

spinning rod recommendations

Recommended Posts

 Looking for recommendations for a 7' (or a little longer) med fast action spinning rod for finesse applications for bass. I recently purchased a Daiwa TATULA 7' Medium, Fast Action Spinning Fishing Rod, Black - TAT701MFS but still not sure what is good and not. Is that a decent rod? Just getting in the game and I would like to have 2 medium fast action spinners. Recomendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a Fenwick HMG, before that I used a Wright McGill 7’ 2” dropshot rod. Walmart carries them, and they are surprisingly good rods. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a Denali AttaX rod 7' Med/Fast for most of my finesse applications for Bass. I highly recommend it. One of the best looking rods I own as well. The Winn grips are icing on an already beautiful cake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a lot of St. Croix rods and, without advertising for a particular outlet, I note that rods are on sale right now at one of the major retailers. I think they are 20% off in general.

 

I am uncertain why you'd want two rods of essentially the same length and power, but I must say if I had to choose a single power for a spinning rod for finesse applications and wanted multiple rods, it'd likely be a Medium power.

 

MH is too much in my estimation for many finesse applications, getting a bit away from the strengths of spinning tackle.  Good for you dialing in a proper power rating!

 

A ML might be the better companion rod and it'd be the rod power of choice for many with smaller finesse presentations, say, light drop shots and small Ned Rigs. Then, the M for slightly heavier presentations like T-Rigs, small jigs, weighted wacky worms. But, you aren't asking so much for power rating opinions but I thought I'd present my thoughts on the "best combination" for owing 2 rods.

 

Brad

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nwstripper said:

 Looking for recommendations for a 7' (or a little longer) med fast action spinning rod for finesse applications for bass. I recently purchased a Daiwa TATULA 7' Medium, Fast Action Spinning Fishing Rod, Black - TAT701MFS but still not sure what is good and not. Is that a decent rod? Just getting in the game and I would like to have 2 medium fast action spinners. Recomendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Yes that Daiwa is good. The suggestions above are lesser quality than what you have. Wait out a sale then buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Custom:

Batson Enterprises

Rainshadow Eternity ETES72M-SS  

 

Production rod:  

St. Croix Avid AVS70MF

 

http://stcroixrods.com/products/freshwater/avid-series-spinning

 

:fishing-026:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have that same Daiwa rod and it's a pretty good rod, especially if you can get it at a sale price. I think it fishes a little heavier than a typical medium power, so I don't ever really use mine anymore. I think a medium-light in the same rod would be really good. I usually try to look for sales before buying anything. A lot of times you can snag a $200 rod (or more) for around $100. Dickssportinggoods.com recently had the Loomis e6x spinning rods on sale for $99 and they're actually pretty good for that price. They only have medium heavy left now, but you can sometimes find similar deals if you search around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kistler KLX drop shot/finesse rod. Its my workhorse spinning rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have any Tatula spinning rods, but I do have a few Tatula casting rods.  They are excellent rods, but as Tywithay said they do fish a bit on the heavy side.

 

What is your budget?  Is 7' or longer written in stone?  How about Fast action?  Willing to accept an Extra Fast for finesse?  I ask because there are some very nice 6'10" finesse rods, but they often have an Extra Fast action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a G Loomis E6X 842 SJR. I just bought it this year so I haven't used it much yet. I really like it, but I haven't tried anything but wacky senkos on so far. I'm not sure if the tip will be soft enough for drop shotting or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you already have a medium powered rod, I would go with a medium light for a second. You can use the medium for slightly heavier drop shot and shaky heads, and the medium light for clear water drop shot or neg rig for example.

 

I just ordered myself a St. Croix Avid X 6'9 ML/XF rod. Obviously, I haven't got to use it, but I did get my hands on a few and they seem like nice rods.

 

I have a couple of Tatula casting rods, and they're great. I didn't get the ML Tatula, labeled as a finesse rod because I hear the tip is really thin on that particular rod and virtually everyone complains they break it when casting or hooking a 2lb fish. I don't think you will have that problem on the medium rod with the normal tip.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for your recommendations. I was able to get that rod on sale. Believe it was around 110. I will take the advice and get a med lite for 2nd rod. Makes good sense. Now the hunt begins. Thanks again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nwstripper said:

Thank you all for your recommendations. I was able to get that rod on sale. Believe it was around 110. I will take the advice and get a med lite for 2nd rod. Makes good sense. Now the hunt begins. Thanks again.

$110 is a great price for a Tatula rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, frosty said:

I use a Fenwick HMG, before that I used a Wright McGill 7’ 2” dropshot rod. Walmart carries them, and they are surprisingly good rods. 

I recently picked up a HMG 7'0 in ML-F and love it. Im a quantity, mixed bag fisherman and have down sized into 8lbs line and 1/16-1/8oz lures.

 

Im presently debating getting a HMG travel rod and was thinking about asking the community for their thoughts on it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I'm looking for suggestions for a med lite, fast action spinning rod. Not set length. Price 100-200. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The original Villain rods weren't all that great.  Things have changed with the 2.0 new model.  Check out TT's review of the 6'10" ML spinning rod.  I'll try to post a link, but it may not be excepted on this site.

 

http://tackletour.com/reviewabuvillain2spin.html

 

That price range will get you some mighty fine rods from quite a few brands such as Dobyns, Phenix, St. Croix, Shimano, Ark, iRod, Major Craft, Hammer, Kistler, etc.  Your choice is great making it hard to narrow down to even 2-3 models.  Researching is half the fun.  Good luck.  :grin:

 

EDIT:  Search and you should be able to beat that $200 Villain price by quite a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will second the fenwick hmg. I have the previous generation 6'9" ml-f and it has been rock solid. 

 

For medium power, I prefer my st Croix 6'8 m-xf. Even though both rods have the same lure rating, 1/8-5/8, they are very different rods. 

 

Cover and target species dictates which rod I use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Armtx77 said:

I recently picked up a HMG 7'0 in ML-F and love it. Im a quantity, mixed bag fisherman and have down sized into 8lbs line and 1/16-1/8oz lures.

 

Im presently debating getting a HMG travel rod and was thinking about asking the community for their thoughts on it.

 

 

I kinda wish I’d have gotten a medium light but I couldn’t turn down the sale price. It does pretty good, just not quite as soft a tip as I like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Boomstick said:

If you already have a medium powered rod, I would go with a medium light for a second. You can use the medium for slightly heavier drop shot and shaky heads, and the medium light for clear water drop shot or neg rig for example.

 

I just ordered myself a St. Croix Avid X 6'9 ML/XF rod. Obviously, I haven't got to use it, but I did get my hands on a few and they seem like nice rods.

 

I have a couple of Tatula casting rods, and they're great. I didn't get the ML Tatula, labeled as a finesse rod because I hear the tip is really thin on that particular rod and virtually everyone complains they break it when casting or hooking a 2lb fish. I don't think you will have that problem on the medium rod with the normal tip.

This ^^^^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I have a opportunity to buy a Daiwa TD-S 701MHRB casting rod for 50 bucks. Rod is like new. Would that be a good buy for a spinner/crank bait rod? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On April 12, 2018 at 11:05 PM, nwstripper said:

 Looking for recommendations for a 7' (or a little longer) med fast action spinning rod for finesse applications for bass. I recently purchased a Daiwa TATULA 7' Medium, Fast Action Spinning Fishing Rod, Black - TAT701MFS but still not sure what is good and not. Is that a decent rod? Just getting in the game and I would like to have 2 medium fast action spinners. Recomendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I use Major Craft NASWJ701MH spinning rod for a all around spinning rod. Spinning rods are generally 1 power lower in strength then baitcasting rods; MH spinning = M baitcasting. I say general rule because no standards exist and it's a personal touch and feel situation.

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, WRB said:

I use Major Craft NASWJ701MH spinning rod for a all around spinning rod. Spinning rods are generally 1 power lower in strength then baitcasting rods; MH spinning = M baitcasting. I say general rule because no standards exist and it's a personal touch and feel situation.

Tom

Never heard that. I have been told that G Loomis and most manufacturers uses the same blank on their spinning and casting. For example, Gloomis uses the same blank for the NRX 852C and 852S. The only difference is the guide orientation differences for casting and spinning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2018 at 5:07 PM, nwstripper said:

So, I have a opportunity to buy a Daiwa TD-S 701MHRB casting rod for 50 bucks. Rod is like new. Would that be a good buy for a spinner/crank bait rod? 

I have no experience with that line of rods.  It sold for about $95 new so I personally feel $50 for one in that condition is a good buy.  I could find very little about that rod, but it is listed as a crankbait/spinnerbait rod so it should work well for you.  I'd have to say from the research I have been doing that Daiwa is doing a good job with their lower cost line of rods. The Fuego and Aird-X get good reviews for the most part.  I bought a Procyon spinning rod for a brother-in-law's birthday gift on the recommendation of a fellow member.

 

I did buy a Daiwa V.I.P. Smallmouth on closeout that I like.  The Ballistic crankbait rod on closeout...not so much.  Too heavy.

 

I do have a few HMG rods so if you are looking for one at the $100 price point I can highly recommend them.  Have never handled a Dobyns Fury, but from what I've read they are excellent rods at $10 more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and ideas. I purchased the St Croix Avid X 6'9" ML/XF rod. I'm very familiar with St Croix as a company as I have several steelhead rods by them. Great American company. I also bought the used Daiwa rod. If it don't work for me I will give it to my grandson. Thanks again.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one St. Croix and it isn't a spinning rod or an Avid X.  However, from everything I have read I feel safe in saying you are going to love that rod.  Congratulations, and let us know how you like it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×