It’s that time again for me to put new tires on my dual axle trailer.  Always sparks a lot of discussion on brands and preferences.  Here’s my story.  

First, I’ve never had a blowout.  Never want a blowout since I have fiberglass fenders and it can be an expensive experience.  I also tow long distance and with my luck it would happen out in the middle of nowhere.  I am a firm believer on changing out trailer tires by age regardless of tread left.  I take care of my tires, they are covered when not on the road and coated with 303 protectant on a regular basis.  The tires I am taking off have a good amount of tread left but are over 4 years old.  Here’s what the trailer shop owner that I take my trailer to told me.  As a side note he works almost exclusively on very high dollar horse trailers, some with living quarters and retail in the 80k range.  These trailers cover more miles and carry heavier weight than any bass boat trailer.  His lesson to me was that you need to buy a trailer tire that can carry the load, keep them aired up properly and that wears out in the 4 to 5 year timeframe.  If you run them any longer than that you are asking for trouble regardless of tread remaining.  If you go out and buy a high dollar tire that still has most of its tread left at the replacement date, you wasted your money.  He doesn’t carry tires but recommended Power King Towmax because he has mounted a lot of them and none have come back with blowouts.  That’s what I put on my dual axle trailer almost 5 years ago.  I thought about stepping up to the new Endurance tire but after due consideration, I went with the Power King again.  Why?  First I have a problem giving Goodyear a pass after they shipped production of the Marathon to China and the quality went down.  Second, I don’t need the carrying capacity of the Endurance on my dual axle.  Third, if these tires last as they should at almost twice the price of the Power King, then at the time they are scheduled to be replaced, they more than likely will have a lot of tread left.  Wasted money.  Yes, the tires I bought are Chinese as well but are hopefully manufactured to a different standard.  I am also replacing my spare which is a New Zealand manufactured Marathon that is likely original to the boat (2005) and has never been on the ground.  There is no date code on the tire to know for sure. Peace of mind.  Take it for what it’s worth, that’s my reasoning.😉😎

You can still get Marathons at Walmart, Endurance has replaced them nearly everywhere else. You are saying Marathons are now made in China....good grief!

I change to Endurance because that's all my local tire place carries. 65 psi inflation pressure is higher then my small compressor can inflate without a surge tank. Most service stations can't go over 45 psi, so I guess it will be truck stops if I need to add air pressure.

Tom

I replaced (4) 5 year old Marathons with Endurance at the end of last year. The spare is still the Marathon. I've probably put 1500 miles on them this season. Boat/trailer/fuel/gear probably weighs 4000lbs. So far I'm impressed if nothing more than they don't appear to "swell" (for lack of a better description) like the Marathons did.

@WRB As far as I know, once the Marathons are gone, they are gone. Walmart must have bought out inventory.

@TOXIC Power Kings come as standard equipment on many travel trailers as do Carlyle's. That tells me one of 2 things. They are either really cheap or really good quality. Hope you get 5 trouble free years out of them.

First let me say I was in the retail tire business for about 17 years with Goodyear. The quality of tires produced in other countries vary widely by country & manufacture. I would not recommend any one trust their welfare to tires built in China regardless of manufacture. The quality control can not be trusted. 

Research your tire purchase from companies & countries you trust. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Those Chinese made Goodyear Marathons were lousy for sure. They were original equipment for Skeeter trailers recently (until they were discontinued), and the number of complaints from those things was just ridiculous. I've heard the Endurance tires are much better, but I think I'll still pass on anything Goodyear.

Carlysle tires are made the USA 👍

i put a set on my trailer this spring

• Like 2

I went with Kumho 857s, great tires, higher speed rating than most trailer tires (which translates to better quality to get the higher rating).

On the third season, zero issues...but I'm kind of a nut about tire maintenance...

Endurance cost for my double axle $435.96 and that's without mounting/balancing and because of their increased PSI rating, I more than likely would replace my valve stems with high pressure ones.  You also have to make sure your rims can handle the additional pressure but I'm pretty sure most do.  I would be concerned with older steel rims though.  I'll still replace all of my valve stems with the new tires.  Cost for Power King $237.  Originally I ran Marathon's for a number of years without problems.  My last set were manufactured in Canada.  The fact that Goodyear ended production of the Marathon tells you that the reputation caught up to them.  I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't reappear with a new name.  If I had not gotten the recommendation from a very reputable trailer shop, I would have never bought the Power King.  My experience aligned with the trailer shop owner so that tells me that their QC/Manufacturing process is better and that I didn't just "luck out" with a good set of 4 on my last purchase.  I have read the horror stories and personally know more than a few boat owners that have had bad experience with the American made tires as well.  My overall opinion is that there is a lot of variance in all "Trailer" tires so every purchase is a crap shoot so to say.  I have not heard anything bad about the new Endurance and they may have upped their game to provide a better tire and if I had a single axle, they would be on my short list.  The additional speed rating on the Endurance seems like a sales pitch to me since if you examine trailer blowout data, the #1 cause is underinflation followed by a number of other factors but exceeding the speed rating is not in there.  First big pull on my new tires will be to Wisconsin and back from Virginia in August heat and that will be a good test!!  I also opted to change the Marathon spare that is on my trailer.  It's never been on the ground and is New Zealand made but there is no date code and the fact that I know its over 8 years old at a minimum made that choice easy.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TOXIC said:

Endurance cost for my double axle $435.96 

I bought mine on sale last fall. Was under $400 mounted with me bringing the rims in. I didn't have them balanced. There is conflicting info on line regarding balancing trailer tires and Goodyear said there was no need to as balancing is done more for ride quality than wear.

Touchy subject you bet.  For a number of reasons.  Mainly because trailer rims are harder to balance and you can't really feel an out of balance trailer tire.  But for me there's just no way I'm pulling anything at highway speeds without balanced tires underneath it.  Tire cupping/uneven wear and vibration that will eventually affect bearings and trailer components are all good enough reasons for me to balance them.  If I didn't make long pulls, it may not matter.   

• Like 3

On 6/25/2018 at 6:47 AM, TOXIC said:

Touchy subject you bet.  For a number of reasons.  Mainly because trailer rims are harder to balance and you can't really feel an out of balance trailer tire.  But for me there's just no way I'm pulling anything at highway speeds without balanced tires underneath it.  Tire cupping/uneven wear and vibration that will eventually affect bearings and trailer components are all good enough reasons for me to balance them.  If I didn't make long pulls, it may not matter.   

Well said.

On 6/25/2018 at 6:47 AM, TOXIC said:

Goodyear asked me if I wanted them balanced to which I replied "Do they need to be balanced?" Had he said yes, rather than the response I mentioned above, I would have taken his advice. This is a shop I have a relationship with. They did a lot of work on my Tundra over the last 2 years. Don't think he would steer me wrong. Either way, as long as I can get 5 trouble free years out of them, I'll be happy.  

I understand and likewise I took the advise of my independent trailer shop owner.  As long as we both are satisfied with the results then no harm no foul.  This is the first time I bought the tires from a retail shop and was a little disappointed that they didn't have the proper attachment to be able to balance them with sticky weights.  I normally want sticky weights on the inside of the rim because dunking the lead ones in water all the time can rust the clips causing the rim to throw the weight up into the glass fender which can cause damage.  I had to settle for the old style mounted on the outside of the rim.  I guess I got pretty lucky since most retail tire places won't even mount trailer tires but I have spent a lot of $$ over the years at this location and they did it with no hesitation.  Sorry if the pic is upside down, I loaded it regular and it showed upside down so I went back into my file and flipped it and it still loaded upside down.  

Tires.jpg