Jump to content
Ohioguy25

Last thread - is this thing sufficient for bait storage?

Recommended Posts

Bait Up genie jar 

 

is this thing big/oxygenated enough or do I need the Frabill 6 qt one?

 

I want something easy to access when I'm kayak fishing on a moving river. I also would prefer it was as small as can be. Just need it to be large enough to hold a few minnows/crawdads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps drill a load of tiny holes in it and toss it over the side.

Drag it around as you go.

Should keep'm fresh.

:smiley:

A-Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think with the holes in it you could lure some bait fish.  i am not completely sure. i would chum some bait fish with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I poked a bunch of holes in a big Gatorade bottle to hold my live bait when I'm kayaking, it works well and pouring the water into my hand works pretty well as a bait dispenser. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, A-Jay said:

Perhaps drill a load of tiny holes in it and toss it over the side.

Drag it around as you go.

Should keep'm fresh.

:smiley:

A-Jay

So without holes in it they won't stay alive/fresh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Ohioguy25 said:

So without holes in it they won't stay alive/fresh?

My thought was to turn the one you posted into a 'floating live well'.

By hanging it off your kayak, the water you're in would obviously be an endless supply helping to keep your bait alive.

Otherwise, with such a small self contained unit, there's a decent chance the bait would use up the limited O2 in the water quickly.

Not what you want.

 :smiley:

A-Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, A-Jay said:

My thought was to turn the one you posted into a 'floating live well'.

By hanging it off your kayak, the water you're in would obviously be an endless supply helping to keep your bait alive.

Otherwise, with such a small self contained unit, there's a decent chance the bait would use up the limited O2 in the water quickly.

Not what you want.

 :smiley:

A-Jay

Oh ok good point, how quickly would it use up the O2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would depend on temperature, number and size of fish.  No way to even estimate.  I saw these things on clearance at F&S and thought no way I'd use them for minnows.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ohioguy25 said:

Oh ok good point, how quickly would it use up the O2?

@J Francho  Covered it.

:smiley:

A-Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like it would hold leeches very well but that's about it. Those things will survive just about anything. I'd put holes in it and keep it over the side as others mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't need holes it has a open screen upper 1/3rd for water flow.

Frabill bait bucket that floats behind the boat will keep minnows lively. Crawdads don't need to be in water, damp or wet moss is they need.

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WRB said:

Doesn't need holes it has a open screen upper 1/3rd for water flow.

That screen is in the cap for catching a minnow by pouring the cup into the cap.  The cup itself is sealed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J Francho said:

That screen is in the cap for catching a minnow by pouring the cup into the cap.  The cup itself is sealed. 

I see said the blind man. Yep, just get a Frabill plastic bait bucket and drag it behind the kayak. My inlaws used these in Canada for decades to keep minows alive for several days walleye fishing.

Tom

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes to the Frabil.  I still have mine some 30 years later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On September 5, 2018 at 10:11 AM, J Francho said:

Yes to the Frabil.  I still have mine some 30 years later.

How exactly does the Frabil keep fresh water flowing through, doesn't it float and stay above water?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One problem I had with the Frabil minnow bucket was the size. It took some time to fish out minnows in a bucket like that. Especially if there were just a few minnows left. If I only fished with a dozen or less minnows on an outing I would try the Genie jar. For under $20 it might be worth it. @Ohioguy25As far as water flow, it doesn't. You can dunk it and the holes in the top will allow water in but when you are trolling I have found the bucket floats even though its weighted and has water in it. It does keep the water temp inside the bucket close to the surface water temp but that is about it.

 

276399_7747_is.jpg.c7bb0e7ca88c4e10424871e9cd3dedce.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ohioguy25 said:

How exactly does the Frabil keep fresh water flowing through, doesn't it float and stay above water?

There are two "pontoons" on the side.  It stays semi buoyant, with water flowing through vent holes.

 

http://www.frabill.com/open-water-fishing/aeration-bait-care/flow-trollc-bait-containers/flow-troll-bucket.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On September 13, 2018 at 11:05 AM, J Francho said:

There are two "pontoons" on the side.  It stays semi buoyant, with water flowing through vent holes.

 

http://www.frabill.com/open-water-fishing/aeration-bait-care/flow-trollc-bait-containers/flow-troll-bucket.html

How does water flow through the vent holes if it's above water most of the time?

On September 13, 2018 at 10:53 AM, Gundog said:

One problem I had with the Frabil minnow bucket was the size. It took some time to fish out minnows in a bucket like that. Especially if there were just a few minnows left. If I only fished with a dozen or less minnows on an outing I would try the Genie jar. For under $20 it might be worth it. @Ohioguy25As far as water flow, it doesn't. You can dunk it and the holes in the top will allow water in but when you are trolling I have found the bucket floats even though its weighted and has water in it. It does keep the water temp inside the bucket close to the surface water temp but that is about it.

 

276399_7747_is.jpg.c7bb0e7ca88c4e10424871e9cd3dedce.jpg

 

How long will minnows survive in the bait thing I have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look on YouTube for a Kayak Bait Tube...you can make your own for under $10.  The Frabill one is like an anchor when you are paddling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:55 AM, Bluebasser86 said:

I poked a bunch of holes in a big Gatorade bottle to hold my live bait when I'm kayaking, it works well and pouring the water into my hand works pretty well as a bait dispenser. 

That is a great idea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, camman said:

Look on YouTube for a Kayak Bait Tube...you can make your own for under $10.  The Frabill one is like an anchor when you are paddling

The DIY bait tubes on YouTube are all made of PVC, they look like they would be just as sluggish as the Frabil. Maybe I'd be best off drilling some holes in mine, unless you think my craws and minnows would stay lively in that thing as is for a few hours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ohioguy25 said:

 

How long will minnows survive in the bait thing I have?

What do you have? If you have the Frabil, as long as you check on them and occasionally dunk the bucket so they can get fresh water they will last all day. The Genie I'm not sure about. I don't own it but, just as the frabil, if you make sure fresh water comes in they should be good. Only difference is you can't keep as many in the Genie as you can the Frabil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gundog said:

What do you have? If you have the Frabil, as long as you check on them and occasionally dunk the bucket so they can get fresh water they will last all day. The Genie I'm not sure about. I don't own it but, just as the frabil, if you make sure fresh water comes in they should be good. Only difference is you can't keep as many in the Genie as you can the Frabil.

I have the Genie. How often do I have to change the water?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On September 5, 2018 at 8:21 AM, J Francho said:

That screen is in the cap for catching a minnow by pouring the cup into the cap.  The cup itself is sealed. 

Just discovered how to use the Genie! One end is for loading/grabbing bait, the other for changing water. It is blocked so they can't get out. Pretty brilliant design actually and perfect for my needs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a small bubbler and run the air line through a small hole drilled in the top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×