RHuff

Did I stumble upon "The Spot?"

For you guys that has better experience at mapping, my first tournament of 2019 looks to be at the end of March at a lake I have never been on, so I'm trying to spend the next few weeks doing my homework on gaining as much knowledge as I can about this lake during the winter months. I was looking at a few historical images of google each of when the lake level was drawn way down about 10 years ago and I found a heck of a flat. As you can see the main channel runs next to it with a creek channel to each side. Did I just find the golden spawning ground for this body of water where the fat ones will be come March? I'm going to guess that water temp will be between 45-55 degrees depending on the weather we have for the rest of the winter. I am hoping that they won't be in full spawn yet. Here is a picture of the water at summer pool vs drawn down. The area is not on navionics, but it appears that the main river channel leading to the bend and past the bend runs around 18-20 feet deep. I've always read that deep water access, shallow water access, cover, and entry and exit channels are what mature bass look for. Can you guys tell me what you think about this area and if it seems as legit as it appears at first glance?

Sutton Lake Flat 1.jpg

Sutton Lake Flat 2.jpg

I'd fish it!  😉

The snakey channels & pond at the top of the cove look very good too. That mid cove hump & channel is sexy. Looks like good place to check out.

FM 

Looks good if the water level is up over the flat  in March.  Remember where those ditches are that run through the flat.

fish that small creek channel if its flooded, fish the main river channel as well. Pre spawn location if the water is 45-55. The fish will be moving up from the depths. If its sunny out then the fish should be shallow in the warm water. That island on the edge of the main channel looks good to. 

My dad likes to joke that I’ve never seen a fishing spot I didn’t like. So with that being said.....it looks good to me!!

You found "A" spot.  You won't know if it's "The" spot until you fish it.  ;)

• Like 4

The first spot looks very close to a ramp in that first pic.  If it is that close its probably well know to many if it is a honey hole.

That  early in the year I would hit those steep channel banks first . The one north of the island and the south side of the island should be in direct sunlight . Big momma basss like to get shallow   on them and soak up the sun .You might nail  big fish by parallel casting a crankbait on them . 

• Like 1

There are several spots in this channel swing area.

What caught my eye is the orange tree in the center of the channel swing that becomes a small island when flooded. To the left of this tiny island is a sharp break casting a shadow, way point that shadow spot and the mouth of drain above the tiny island.

At the top of the channel swing are rocks and to the left of that rocky bank is another S small drain break, way point that spot.

I am also curious what the rectangle frame shapes are between the tiny island and point, could be foundations? Way point those and the isolate structure casting a small shadow to the right next to the channel swing.

Good looking area with a few isolated spots to focus on.

So what isn't on the Navonics map? 

Tom

• Like 1