Jump to content
BigBass'n_Harrison

new 2019 Shimano SLX MGL!? Thoughts??

Recommended Posts

SO I was scrolling through YouTube and I found a video by THE REEL TEST. He had a video about the release of a JDM Shimano SLX with an MGL spool! The US version of the SLX withough the MGL spool has some pretty great reviews and a lot of people believe it will knock the Speed Spool and Fuego from their spot on top of the $99 reel price point. I think an SLX with an MGL spool would be an extremely nice reel and it will probably be around $150 USDM. It's supposed to be replacing the Casitas MGL I believe and that had a graphite frame, the SLX has an aluminum frame so it will probably be a stronger reel without raising the price I would think. It also has SVS Infinity brakes with the external brake design of the Bantam MGL, looks pretty badass. 

 

Here is a picture of it from the Shimano Japan Website and a picture of the external brakes that was used a thumbnail for his second video on the reel: 

  SLX MGL  Image result for shimano SLX MGL

I personally love the features this reel will have and I think it looks way better as well. On Shimano Japan it says they are expecting a May 2019 release.

 

What are everybody's thoughts on this new reel???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Joshua van Wyk said:

Wish I waited before I bought the Slx. This version looks awesome!

Well this isn't coming out for another 4 months anyway, but yeah it looks amazing! I'm sure the normal version is good enough if you aren't using finesse baits. I'm tempted to wait for this reel, but I can't. Need this new set up before the season starts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BigBass'n_Harrison said:

Well this isn't coming out for another 4 months anyway, but yeah it looks amazing! I'm sure the normal version is good enough if you aren't using finesse baits. I'm tempted to wait for this reel, but I can't. Need this new set up before the season starts

Easy fix. Get both!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Joshua van Wyk said:

Easy fix. Get both!

I'm debating that as well lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not liking it and very disappointed with Shimano this time. This new SLX will get 70 size MGL spool plus external adjustable brake plus 1 more bearing (I think it is gonna be main shaft bearing since no mention on X-ship and I think a lot complaining about geary feel with X-ship) plus almost double the price.

 

Don’t get me wrong I like SLX and don’t mind owning another one. I don’t care for refine adjustable brake one bit since this reel I use for heavier lure where I don’t need this feature. The SLX cast well by itself no need for MGL spool.

 

I like to see this MGL spool on Curado 70 instead and I will buy 5-6 or 7 mores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2019 at 9:52 PM, Joshua van Wyk said:

Wish I waited before I bought the Slx. This version looks awesome!

Every version of everything looks awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2019 at 7:04 PM, Joshua van Wyk said:

Easy fix. Get both!

That there, is aka the bait monkey option! 😎👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, islandbass said:

That there, is aka the bait monkey option! 😎👍

The only option 😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will be a gateway JDM reel worth getting. The SLX will probaly be about $230 dollars to import to the USA. There will also be a JDM Scorpion MGL (Pictured below) which will be around $300 to import. Though the prices may vary by seller when they come out.661eb95cly1fz1woezgl3j20dk0dkdgf.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, matbellon3 said:

This will be a gateway JDM reel worth getting. The SLX will probaly be about $230 dollars to import to the USA. There will also be a JDM Scorpion MGL (Pictured below) which will be around $300 to import. Though the prices may vary by seller when they come out.661eb95cly1fz1woezgl3j20dk0dkdgf.jpg

I thought the Slx Mgl would retail for the same price as the Casitas Mgl?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to shimano japans website the SLX mgl will retail for 21000 jpy. With the current exchange rate that means it is $193 usd. After import and shipping it will be around $210-$230. Though the price may drop once it actually comes out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2019 at 9:05 AM, Joshua van Wyk said:

I thought the Slx Mgl would retail for the same price as the Casitas Mgl?

Yeah I thought the same since it seems to be replacing the casitas.... hmmmm

On 1/16/2019 at 10:03 AM, matbellon3 said:

According to shimano japans website the SLX mgl will retail for 21000 jpy. With the current exchange rate that means it is $193 usd. After import and shipping it will be around $210-$230. Though the price may drop once it actually comes out.

 

Yeah that's what I'm guessing as well..... and hoping lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JDM sites like Digitaka and Japan Lure Shop are always way under retail. Usually no custom fee on stuff in that price range either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The Bassman said:

JDM sites like Digitaka and Japan Lure Shop are always way under retail. Usually no custom fee on stuff in that price range either.

Well at least now I know what I want for Christmas 😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2019 at 8:57 PM, Joshua van Wyk said:

Well at least now I know what I want for Christmas 😂😂

a long 11 months until you get it :) I would just whip the credit card and deal with the wife. 

 

Just like I told her before - CRY ONCE and smile forever ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2019 at 7:45 PM, The Bassman said:

JDM sites like Digitaka and Japan Lure Shop are always way under retail. Usually no custom fee on stuff in that price range either.

Yep $168 at Digitaka free shipping. 

https://www.digitaka.com/item.php?item=4969363040466

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks pretty sweet. I have a regular SLX and it casts way better than a $100 reel should. With the refined braking and Mgl spool you should be able use this one with a range of baits, not just the heavier stuff. I like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never ever take advice from Reel Test. That kid is a huge Shimano fan boy.  If you want a real break out down of reels head over to tackleadvisors youtube channel.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JBFishin said:

Never ever take advice from Reel Test. That kid is a huge Shimano fan boy.  If you want a real break out down of reels head over to tackleadvisors youtube channel.

He also thinks the best reels are the ones that cast furthest distance 🤦‍♂️

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JBFishin said:

Never ever take advice from Reel Test. That kid is a huge Shimano fan boy.  If you want a real break out down of reels head over to tackleadvisors youtube channel.

I second this. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JBFishin said:

Never ever take advice from Reel Test. That kid is a huge Shimano fan boy.  If you want a real break out down of reels head over to tackleadvisors youtube channel.

I completely agree with this

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...