Jump to content
The Maestro

Is rod sensitivity more about feeling bites or feeling bottom/structure?

Recommended Posts

I've read that super sensitive rods (like an NRX) really excel when it comes to fishing bottom contact presentations.  I don't do much of that. I mostly fish weeds vertically on short-medium range pitches.  I guess my question is do you think I'd detect more bites with the most sensitive rods available?  I feel like I'm probably not missing many fish but have any of you noticed that you could feel more bites with super sensitive/high end rods when fishing the way I described.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quick answer is yes on both accounts, more sensitive blanks help a blind man feel what the terrain is and can change how you may be presenting the jig or whatever pending, or fouled out for that matter...blank, line and thumb/finger all play a part...and many times, the biggest of girls can have the most subtle bite/pick up etc...you wouldnt even know if missed a fish or not...bait when in and spit back out before you felt anything or ever aware it happened...that scenario can still can happen with high end blanks...but the more dead the stick, the more you're gonna miss and didnt even know it and/or made you too late pulling the trigger...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Frog Turds said:

quick answer is yes on both accounts, more sensitive blanks help a blind man feel what the terrain is and can change how you may be presenting the jig or whatever pending, or fouled out for that matter...blank, line and thumb/finger all play a part...and many times, the biggest of girls can have the most subtle bite/pick up etc...you wouldnt even know if missed a fish or not...bait when in and spit back out before you felt anything or ever aware it happened...that scenario can still can happen with high end blanks...but the more dead the stick, the more you're gonna miss and didnt even know it and/or made you too late pulling the trigger...

I'm sure I still miss some bites on those super subtle takes and drops.  But like you said even the most sensitive set up probably wouldn't transmit those.  For the way I fish, line watching, managing the slack and concentrating on the feel or weight of the bait have probably resulted in more caught fish than actually feeling the bite through the rod.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you asking if a high end rod will make you a better fisherman? Maybe. Maybe not. But they are a whole lot more fun to fish with. I was fine with a Johnny Morris rod before I got my first NRX. Be careful because they make fishing other rods less fun.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fishin' Fool said:

Are you asking if a high end rod will make you a better fisherman? Maybe. Maybe not. But they are a whole lot more fun to fish with. I was fine with a Johnny Morris rod before I got my first NRX. Be careful because they make fishing other rods less fun.

I guess I'm asking if it's worth it to pay top dollar for sensitivity for an application where it may not be the most important thing for detecting bites.  The rods I use are mid to mid-high level but I hear you about the addictive nature of fishing with high end gear.  It just enhances the whole experience even if it's not necessarily resulting in more fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

I guess I'm asking if it's worth it to pay top dollar for sensitivity for an application where it may not be the most important thing for detecting bites.  The rods I use are mid to mid-high level but I hear you about the addictive nature of fishing with high end gear.  It just enhances the whole experience even if it's not necessarily resulting in more fish.

I upgraded my rods a few years back. My suggestion is find deals. Tacklewarehouse was selling NRX at 40% off during the Bassmaster Classic so getting a NRX for $340 was worth it to me. I ended up buying 2 for that price and sold 1 after 1 season for what I paid for it. Buy what your budget can afford. Would I buy those rods again at a discounted price? In a hearbeat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bottom line with everything considered, will a more sensitive stick for bottom contact be another piece of the puzzle that assists you to be more successful? My personal opinion, hell yes as its helped me and many others...Jig is one of my bread & butters and I'll never forget the noticeable difference in general how much more I could feel and sense going from a dead stick to a sensitive one, night & day...and as stated, higher end sticks are much more pleasurable to fish with, same goes with reels...

 

if there was only 1 stick of all sticks where i'd only suggest to invest your hard earned change on, the one where sensitivity matters most, that is you're bottom contact stick...

 

I'll say this; is something i've said to myself and is of no offense...but ignorance is bliss and cheaper on the pocket book...atleast for me, once I crossed the line with sticks and reels, ignorance was no longer bliss and cost myself thousands haha...the same thing happens to many of us and will continue for countless others...no one starts out with $3-400.00 dollar on up reels and 3,4,$500.00+ sticks...its progressive like any thing else/sport you become more & more passionate about and experienced with...and no one is to tell you or others how you should/shouldnt spend your earned cash (excluding significant other) ;)

 

do people start out their mountain biking passion with carbon fiber bikes or golfers with a bag full of high end clubs etc...? most certainly not, its progressive... 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frog Turds said:

you wouldnt even know if missed a fish or not...

Which is where the old adage comes into play for fishing- "What you don't know won't hurt you". :smile1:

 

Seriously though. Most of my "higher" end rods are between $150-$200 (but I wait for 20% off sales). I've been wanting to try an NRX for some time for jigs/t-rig. But man, that's a lot of coin. And like Fishin' Fool said, using one makes using your other rods less fun. I think that's my biggest worry. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it is a legit worry...unless I was rolling in the cash and could afford it just because to have all my arsenal top shelf which isnt the case here, so only my bottom contact sticks will I spend that kind of money...for moving baits, its unnecessary going that route and well down the list of importance on my scale...

 

reels are different story with me, I love the performance and feel of high end reels...Id put a 400.00 reel on a 100.00 stick before Id saddle a 100.00 reel on a 400.00 stick...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some people, the extra sensitivity is worth the money. For me, much above the $100 price point, I can't feel the difference. I've got GLoomis and high end St Croix's, along with cheaper St. Croix's and other custom rods. In a blind test, I can't tell the difference.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Frog Turds said:

it is a legit worry...unless I was rolling in the cash and could afford it just because to have all my arsenal top shelf which isnt the case here, so only my bottom contact sticks will I spend that kind of money...for moving baits, its unnecessary going that route and well down the list of importance on my scale...

 

reels are different story with me, I love the performance and feel of high end reels...Id put a 400.00 reel on a 100.00 stick before Id saddle a 100.00 reel on a 400.00 stick...

That's an interesting perspective. I'd always want to sink my money into the rod.  I'll assume your buying mostly expensive casting reels? My highest end rods are spinning but I also live in Michigan home of ultra clear water and 5 pound fish are huge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im just weird like that...but ya just BC's & the truth of it even if it seems ass-backwards haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are not using braid don't expect much from a high end rod.  If you are using braid and a high end rod then you are fishing the most sensitive combo possible.  With any rod the biggest gain in sensitivity is to use braid.  An FC leader of reasonable length will not cost significant sensitivity.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MickD said:

If you are not using braid don't expect much from a high end rod.  If you are using braid and a high end rod then you are fishing the most sensitive combo possible.  With any rod the biggest gain in sensitivity is to use braid.  An FC leader of reasonable length will not cost significant sensitivity.

Not sure what you mean by don't expect much. An NRX, GLX, Conquest, K2, Legend Elites, Legend Xs and Destroyers with fluorocarbon are fantastic and extremely sensitive. These rods are top of the line and I have no problem at all detecting bites, structure, etc with fluorocarbon. You are correct in that braid has no stretch thus transmits more vibration but there is a time and place for fluorocarbon, braid, and mono. I don't have trouble detecting bites and thorough enjoy fishing all of them with fluorocarbon. 100% pleased regarding sensitivity. 

 

SB

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scott F said:

For some people, the extra sensitivity is worth the money. For me, much above the $100 price point, I can't feel the difference. I've got GLoomis and high end St Croix's, along with cheaper St. Croix's and other custom rods. In a blind test, I can't tell the difference.

I agree with this. I think you could ask a few very experienced jig fisherman, and they would tell you it's more than just the rod hat allows them to hook more fish. Sure, nice rods can help, but experienced fisherman catch the fish that others never feel, even with mid quality rods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fishin' Fool said:

I upgraded my rods a few years back. My suggestion is find deals. Tacklewarehouse was selling NRX at 40% off during the Bassmaster Classic so getting a NRX for $340 was worth it to me. I ended up buying 2 for that price and sold 1 after 1 season for what I paid for it. Buy what your budget can afford. Would I buy those rods again at a discounted price? In a hearbeat!

Wow, wish I had known about that deal. My next rod is going to be an 853c but I just can't justify the retail price. I've been keeping an eye out on a deal like that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mobasser said:

I agree with this. I think you could ask a few very experienced jig fisherman, and they would tell you it's more than just the rod hat allows them to hook more fish. Sure, nice rods can help, but experienced fisherman catch the fish that others never feel, even with mid quality rods.

 

2 hours ago, Scott F said:

For some people, the extra sensitivity is worth the money. For me, much above the $100 price point, I can't feel the difference. I've got GLoomis and high end St Croix's, along with cheaper St. Croix's and other custom rods. In a blind test, I can't tell the difference.

I tend to agree for the most part with this. While the difference between an Abu Garcia Veritas to a G Loomis GLX is significant regarding sensitivity IMO and detecting structure, bites, etc is amplified with a more sensitive rod, ultimately you are correct in that experience in invaluable. Buying an expensive rod will help in detecting some bites, but you are right on regarding your assessment in that buying an expensive rod doesn't necessarily make you a great fisherman. Rods are just tools allowing us fisherman to complete a task, which is to catch fish.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TBAG said:

Wow, wish I had known about that deal. My next rod is going to be an 853c but I just can't justify the retail price. I've been keeping an eye out on a deal like that. 

I'm with you. I just got lucky and was reading this website and someone had pointed it out. I went back and forth about spending that much money on a rod which I know is $200 less than retail. I pulled the trigger and have been happy ever since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to see if there is a difference in cheap and quality rods, go to someplace like Academy sports and pick up a cheap rod and a quality rod in each hand. Have someone click their fingernail on it at the end. Which one do you feel the click on better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Google every Pro you can think of & see how many use G. Loomis.

 

According to what's wrote above it should be every one of them!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both. But I still prefer less sensitive rods. I swing way too hard and fast for a stiff sensitive rod for nearly all the fishing I do. Sensitivity is overrated in a lot of ways, but is probably more important to guys fishing mono CP or FC only rigs. Braid is too sensitive, especially under 20’ deep. Since I only fish braid, the less sensitive rods are still bordering on too sensitive. For example, fishing a C-Rig I bumped a beer can 1/3 filled with soil. It rolled a little and bumped back on my hook, so I slammed the hook and reeled up a perfect two hole hookset in the can. I have done this many times, before learning the feel of submerged cans. Anything more sensitive and I’m swinging at the bubbles from turtles when they hit the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have the money go for it, too rich for my blood. I think there is a point where you get the most sensitive bang for your buck. For me that's $200.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Light weight well balanced rods are a pleasure to fish with but high price doesn't directly reflect strike detection. Strike detection is a skill developed by the angler regardless of the rods modulus, it's about line movements or lack of.

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An overlooked aspect of better rod sensitivity or overall sensitivity is feeling the fight of the fish after it is hooked which also has benefits. Adding to this is the line type and braid is near the top (feel nanofil is more sensitive than braid). A very sensitive rod lined with braid and you feel every shake twist jerk direction change way better than FC or mono, they dont come close. As just a recreational fisherman the feel of the fight is a priority for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, QUAKEnSHAKE said:

An overlooked aspect of better rod sensitivity or overall sensitivity is feeling the fight of the fish after it is hooked which also has benefits. Adding to this is the line type and braid is near the top (feel nanofil is more sensitive than braid). A very sensitive rod lined with braid and you feel every shake twist jerk direction change way better than FC or mono, they dont come close. As just a recreational fisherman the feel of the fight is a priority for me.

Interesting. I have never heard anyone every mention that. Explain if you don't mind. 

1 hour ago, WRB said:

Light weight well balanced rods are a pleasure to fish with but high price doesn't directly reflect strike detection. Strike detection is a skill developed by the angler regardless of the rods modulus, it's about line movements or lack of.

Tom

I agree for the most part with this. Knowing what to look for in terms of line jumping and line movements is important. However, sometimes you have to rely more on feel which is detected easier with a more sensitive rod especially when they just pick it up which I notice they do a lot for me in the winter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×