Jump to content
potomac_pete

Looking for Best finesse Daiwa baitcaster, anyone try the new smaller tatula 100?

Recommended Posts

Can’t afford the tatula sv. Looking at the new tatula 100, says it’s smaller and good for casting light lures. Also considering the tatula ct which seems to have better technology for handling these smaller baits, but that stuff kind of confuses me.  Anyone out there tried these that can give me some advice?  Think I’m better off just looking for one of the older used sv 105 or 103 series on eBay?  I’m also open to other brands in the $100 range if you’re familiar w daiwas and think there’s better options.  Thanks. .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new tatula 100 isnt a finesse reel. It just fot lost in translation being called finesse. Its just a smaller platform tn the current CT size reels. Still a deep spool reel. The alphas sv105 would be a far better option for light line and light baits.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a new 100.  It's an amazing caster. It can handle 1/8 and up. I found mine for 109.00.  Well worth it at that price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the new Tatula but I haven’t casted it yet. After flushing the bearings, I can say this reel has some of the fastest and high quality stock bearings of any reel. It will be as close to finesse casting as any reel for the US Market once flushed. These are almost Abec ceramic fast. Unflushed, the bearings are “stoppy” and somehow slow themselves down automatically. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new Tatula 100's spool weighs 17g. It's nowhere in the realm of being anything close to a finesse casting reel. 1/8oz weight and a worm isn't finesse. Any casting reel and a M action rod can throw those. The SV105 is your chepeast route if you want to actually go "finesse". You can also go used and look for a stock Pixy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@iabass8is right about finesse, but what is finesse in OP mind? Weightless Senko? Or weightless finesse worm? 3/8 oz finesse jig? or 1/16 oz Ned rig?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really irks me whenever people boast about being able to cast a weightless senko on baitcasting gear. Go throw a 5" Senko on a quality scale and you'll see that they weigh around 3/8oz. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with iabass8 on the pixy.  You can now find used ones on ebay for under $150 pretty regularly, and they are a fantastic reel for that money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CrankFate said:

I have the new Tatula but I haven’t casted it yet. After flushing the bearings, I can say this reel has some of the fastest and high quality stock bearings of any reel. It will be as close to finesse casting as any reel for the US Market once flushed. These are almost Abec ceramic fast. Unflushed, the bearings are “stoppy” and somehow slow themselves down automatically. 

How does one flush bearings? I have a couple of tatulas and one in particular casts really well, but I feel like it has that stop effect you mention. Never considered trying a spool bearing flush to see if problem is solved. The bearings are shielded so I'm not sure how to do those

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:welcome:

 

Lots of informative articles, gear tests, etc. on this forum for you to enjoy.  Many knowledgeable people.

 

I don't want to burst your bubble, but if you can't afford a Tatula SV then you definitely can't afford the best finesse Daiwa baitcast reel. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, fishballer06 said:

It really irks me whenever people boast about being able to cast a weightless senko on baitcasting gear. Go throw a 5" Senko on a quality scale and you'll see that they weigh around 3/8oz. 

Yep. 

 

However they do cast differently than a hard plastic in 3/8oz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Glaucus said:

Yep. 

 

However they do cast differently than a hard plastic in 3/8oz.

Yup cast differently I can cast 3/8 oz jerkbait only 30 yds but cast Senko about a mile and a half 😝 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JustJames said:

Yup cast differently I can cast 3/8 oz jerkbait only 30 yds but cast Senko about a mile and a half 😝 

It took me awhile to cast Senkos on a baitcaster. Oddly enough the learning curve of using a baitcaster was extremely fast for me. If I remember correctly day 1 or 2 and I was golden for the most part. Senkos on the other hand took a bit and I think it's because of wind resistance. I dunno. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FishDewd said:

How does one flush bearings? I have a couple of tatulas and one in particular casts really well, but I feel like it has that stop effect you mention. Never considered trying a spool bearing flush to see if problem is solved. The bearings are shielded so I'm not sure how to do those

 

I used brake cleaner, then used a compressed gas keyboard cleaner (the one that blows air that is really refrigerant in a red straw tube) to blow out the oil or grease. Then I soaked them in acetone, dried them and soaked them in Ethyl Alcohol, dried them again, then added a drop of oil. They are very, very fast. Faster than any other reel bearings that came with any reel I have, except for Avet reels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Casting light weight non aerodynamic lures with a 100 size bait casting reel has more to do with the rod and line then the reel. Super tunning a bait casting reel will add performance only if you have the skill to use it.

To answer OP question about the Daiwa Tatula 100 ability to cast light weight lures is yes.

what rod, line and lures are being used?

Tom

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure if this is an option for you, but if you’d rather have the SV, they are doing the rod and reel trade in at Bass Pro and Cabela’s. I just purchased an SV and got $30 off for the trade in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WRB said:

Casting light weight non aerodynamic lures with a 100 size bait casting reel has more to do with the rod and line then the reel. Super tunning a bait casting reel will add performance only if you have the skill to use it.

To answer OP question about the Daiwa Tatula 100 ability to cast light weight lures is yes.

what rod, line and lures are being used?

Tom

Well said 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a rays spool in a tatula CT and on the right rod it will cast 1/16 with 3/4 of a zoom tiny fluke on it reasonably accurately and far enough. It's not as easy as my alphas with cosugi spool, but then it doesn't cost anywhere near that either. The Tatula CT and 100 both take the same spool, so I would imagine it would work fine for you too. The rays spools are well worth getting if you want to cast lighter baits. Put some 10lb braid on it and it's very benign to cast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whelp, here’s pics of the Tatula spool weight.

 

25.18 grams spooled with 20lb braid. An aftermarket BFS spool is only

 

11.44 grams spooled with 20lb braid.

 

So it does throw finesse into question.

 

The wired thing is, with the BFS spool in the reel, it is harder to start and stops too fast. Like it might not actually work, unless I back off the zero adjust. Even more weird— the zero adjust is easy to turn with the aftermarket spool. It’s even easier to turn than a standard knob with the BFS spool in the reel.

 

???

57C2B9D5-433B-4B6E-8227-A078259E243D.jpeg

750EDA3E-5EE5-43BE-8508-15EE2616F86F.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, CrankFate said:

Whelp, here’s pics of the Tatula spool weight.

 

25.18 grams spooled with 20lb braid. An aftermarket BFS spool is only

 

11.44 grams spooled with 20lb braid.

 

So it does throw finesse into question.

 

The wired thing is, with the BFS spool in the reel, it is harder to start and stops too fast. Like it might not actually work, unless I back off the zero adjust. Even more weird— the zero adjust is easy to turn with the aftermarket spool. It’s even easier to turn than a standard knob with the BFS spool in the reel.

 

???

57C2B9D5-433B-4B6E-8227-A078259E243D.jpeg

750EDA3E-5EE5-43BE-8508-15EE2616F86F.jpeg

The DIY spool for the CT does indeed work in the new 100. Remove a shim. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, iabass8 said:

The DIY spool for the CT does indeed work in the new 100. Remove a shim. 

No way! You don’t want to know how long it took to put them on.

 

I don’t have time for that kind of project at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CrankFate said:

No way! You don’t want to know how long it took to put them on.

 

I don’t have time for that kind of project at the moment.

Remove the spool side shim or the shim under the CC knob. It will take you 2 minutes. You don't need to open up the reel to remove them. Zero adjust is just there for people new to baitcasting reels. If you use different spools in reels /w it, you have to adjust the CC knob anyway. The reason your DIY spool is difficult to use unless you back the CC knob off is because of the length of the spool shaft. It's a cheap spool and imperfections are notorious for them. Sometimes you have to play /w shim thickness' or using one side or the other without the other. Polishing them down /w a dremel is also an easy alternative. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, iabass8 said:

Remove the spool side shim or the shim under the CC knob. It will take you 2 minutes. You don't need to open up the reel to remove them. Zero adjust is just there for people new to baitcasting reels. If you use different spools in reels /w it, you have to adjust the CC knob anyway. The reason your DIY spool is difficult to use unless you back the CC knob off is because of the length of the spool shaft. It's a cheap spool and imperfections are notorious for them. Sometimes you have to play /w shim thickness' or using one side or the other without the other. Polishing them down /w a dremel is also an easy alternative. 

Ooohhh, I thought you meant the shims under the c-clip on the spool!!! That makes sense,  I’ll try it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2019 at 7:40 PM, CrankFate said:

I used brake cleaner, then used a compressed gas keyboard cleaner (the one that blows air that is really refrigerant in a red straw tube) to blow out the oil or grease. Then I soaked them in acetone, dried them and soaked them in Ethyl Alcohol, dried them again, then added a drop of oil. They are very, very fast. Faster than any other reel bearings that came with any reel I have, except for Avet reels.

Ah that makes sense. Thanks. I'll have to do that sometime, if I ever get the courage to take my Daiwa reels a part...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×