Jump to content
Glaucus

I would like to talk about a tournament rule.

Recommended Posts

In another part of the forum a thread touched on this, but it was closed before I ever saw it and had a chance to reply. 

 

Guys, keep this thread civil PLEASE, so that moderators don't have to close it. This is a very important topic for me personally and you will see why. 

 

I have Aspergers Syndrome. I'm very high functioning to the point where almost nobody would notice. I was even able to be a really good football player back in high school. I work full time and I have a wife and kids. I do well. My battle is internal. But one of my issues is that I suffer from anxiety on top of PTSD from something unrelated to my "developmental disorder" (I hate that it's called that).

 

Last year I fished my first tournaments as a co-angler... Not ONCE did I hear or see anything about a polygraph test being taken by winners. Mind you, it's a small club with very little money on the line. And that's what I want to talk about. Polygraph testing in tournaments.

 

My dream is to make big tournaments at some point in my life. Bass fishing is my passion and my obsession. With Aspergers, I don't think that anyone could ever accurately polygraph me. I would be having an anxiety attack during the process for absolutely no reason other than being in that situation. Those things aren't accurate. You can't use them in the court of law.

 

It seems that this rule would effectively eliminate people like me with special needs, as minor as mine really are, from any serious tournament fishing. That's a terrible shame and completely unfair. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like other aspects of life, people make rules to account for the majority. 

 

I suffer from dyslexia, and extreme adhd. I probably wouldn’t remember cheating even if I had.

 

Fish your tournaments, catch your fish. If it ever comes up, explain your situation. Fishin folks are generally pretty nice and understanding people, and everyone loves an “underdog”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glacus, congratulations on the taming of your situation. Kudos to you on what you have achieved.

 

I have a friend whose son has the same condition and he can't hold a job; he gets into arguments with everyone about anything; he can become physically combative; and all he wants to do is sit in his mother's home's basement and play games on the computer. He does not want to work or go outside. He has had strong therapy and treatments at a specialist clinic but to no avail.

 

Now, let me tell you about polygraph tests in bass fishing tournaments. Only the larger tournaments with thousands on the line usually have polygraph tests. And many do not. Club tournaments; local tournaments; regional tournaments among clubs or individuals usually do not have any polygraph tests.

 

Some of the larger BASS and FLW tournaments have the option of polygraph testing. Some of the large private tournaments can also perform polygraph tests. But it has been my experience that these tests are few and far between.

 

If you are concerned about the tests just ask the tournament director before you enter the tournament if they are going to test the top three to ten winners. You will then know what to expect.

 

If you want to fish the tournament and there is a possibility of a polygraph test, you can consider your options. One option is in lieu of you taking the test have the tournament director agree to having your fishing partner take the test and be asked questions about you and your catches.

 

This will a test about you but taken by the other guy in the boat.

 

I have seen your situation destroy a family. Not a nice situation as the father bailed leaving the son with the mother who is having a terrible time coping with the situation.

 

Once again, congratulations for beating the syndrome. You deserve an award and so does your family. You are a special guy. Keep up the good work no matter the challenges.

 

And fish a tournament and knock it out of the park! Be sure to let us know how you do.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Catch the winning bag first.  Worry about the polygraph later.  The only time I have ever seen it used was to settle a protest.  The "random" statement is meant to keep options open and an honest man honest.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, TOXIC said:

Catch the winning bag first.  Worry about the polygraph later.  The only time I have ever seen it used was to settle a protest.  The "random" statement is meant to keep options open and an honest man honest.  

^yeah, this. Catch a bunch and don’t cheat. That should take care of it. The way I hear most guys cheat, sounds harder than actually fishing in itself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've fished quite a few $10k to win and up tournaments and never saw anyone other than the winner get tested. And the only time I've seen it be guaranteed to be tested is when folks when a boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think you should worry either or allow the fact they may test to limit the tourneys you enter. Fish your strengths and have fun. If you ever popped a random explain your condition before they start the test and hopefully they take it into account. 

 

You have come this far without it limiting don’t let this discourage or stop you from doing. Go out and stick em, hell you never know there might be some young kid who struggles with this and you could make a positive impact for them. I say do it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like what Sam says.....keep fishing...enjoy life....and by the way....well done with what you've done and good luck.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say that you should bring that up to the directors of whatever tourneys you are fishing.  If you win they should know what your situation is and take that into consideration.  We all know that a polygraph test is not the end all be all solution but they can help.  In a case like yours I would think they would need sufficient evidence to rule that you cheated in a tourney.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Glaucus said:

...It seems that this rule would effectively eliminate people like me with special needs, as minor as mine really are, from any serious tournament fishing. That's a terrible shame and completely unfair...

 

Don't take this the wrong way, but there is a rule in basketball that allows opponents to block your shot.  That rule effectively eliminates very short people from any serious basketball competition.  Would that be considered a terrible shame & completely unfair?

 

I would suggest looking at solutions on how you can work within the existing rules as opposed to looking to change them.  As an example, any tournament that you know has polygraph testing as a possibility, go to the tournament directors prior to the tournament and explain your condition.  When you tell them why a polygraph wouldn't be effective with you, at the same time give them an alternate solution to test you.  Get creative with solutions, like a full time GoPro set up filming your every move.  Something that makes it obvious you aren't trying to skirt the spirit of the rule, just altering the process to get to the same result (proof of not guilty).  Just the fact that you approach them beforehand will go miles and you may find out they have run into this issue before and have a solution themselves.

 

Good Luck!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like many things in life, the anxiety in advance of the event can be far worse than the actual event.

Assuming the person administering the polygraph is professional and competent,  you have nothing to worry about.  Physiological indications will be present in control questions, so the deception indication spikes would be measured like anyone else.  You will have an opportunity to explain medical, health or other things, if you choose.

Take care of things you can control....don't sweat the rest.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

another option is to get documentation from your Dr. about your condition and submit that prior to entering. also bring it to tournament directors attention asap. 

also good luck to you on upcoming tourneys. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt I could pass a lie detector either, I just don't have anything to blame it on other than the fact that I simply don't lie so if I did, I'm sure it would show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Glaucus Have you considered seeing a therapist to address your PTSD?  Seems like this is something you could work through in that setting, to prepare you for something as simple as answering a few questions truthfully.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

everything on a polygraph is taken from a baseline, that is why they ask all the routine questions at the beginning of the test.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Heartland said:

everything on a polygraph is taken from a baseline, that is why they ask all the routine questions at the beginning of the test.

 

That's a really good point.

 

I just got registered for the KBF National Championship and had to agree to this:

Polygraph Examination Agreement*

I agree, as a condition of participation, to submit to a Polygraph Examination upon request by the Tournament Director, whether randomly selected, for specific cause, or to validate ranking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say go for it, and worry about that bridge IF you ever have to cross it.  I'm sure you could even get a doctor to sign a document explaining your situation.  You shouldn't let the possibility of having to take a polygraph hold you back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're really anxious the baseline questions will show that and the other answers would be in the "same ball park"

 

Questions arise when most of the questions match the baseline levels and 1 has a severely different reading.

 

Like others have said Chase the dream

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OCdockskipper said:

 

....

 

I would suggest looking at solutions on how you can work within the existing rules as opposed to looking to change them.  As an example, any tournament that you know has polygraph testing as a possibility, go to the tournament directors prior to the tournament and explain your condition.  When you tell them why a polygraph wouldn't be effective with you, at the same time give them an alternate solution to test you.  Get creative with solutions, like a full time GoPro set up filming your every move.  Something that makes it obvious you aren't trying to skirt the spirit of the rule, just altering the process to get to the same result (proof of not guilty).  Just the fact that you approach them beforehand will go miles and you may find out they have run into this issue before and have a solution themselves.

 

Good Luck!

This. Be upfront, get the knowledge you need and fish stress free. No surprises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, OCdockskipper said:

 

Don't take this the wrong way, but there is a rule in basketball that allows opponents to block your shot.  That rule effectively eliminates very short people from any serious basketball competition.  Would that be considered a terrible shame & completely unfair?

 

I would suggest looking at solutions on how you can work within the existing rules as opposed to looking to change them.  As an example, any tournament that you know has polygraph testing as a possibility, go to the tournament directors prior to the tournament and explain your condition.  When you tell them why a polygraph wouldn't be effective with you, at the same time give them an alternate solution to test you.  Get creative with solutions, like a full time GoPro set up filming your every move.  Something that makes it obvious you aren't trying to skirt the spirit of the rule, just altering the process to get to the same result (proof of not guilty).  Just the fact that you approach them beforehand will go miles and you may find out they have run into this issue before and have a solution themselves.

 

Good Luck!

I'll reply to everyone eventually.

 

I'm going to start here. I don't like your analogy. The short NBA player like Nate Robinson can compete in the league despite the odds. He could maneuver around big guys like nobody else. Same with me. I can fish. I can compete. 

 

It would be like Nate competing and succeeding, and then being given a test to prove how he did it, failing, and officials taking everything from him. "Oh well you side stepped LBJ and sunk a fade away but if you can't answer these questions like we want you to, we're gonna have to go ahead and take those points from you." 

 

Talent =/= cognitive ability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t worry about it. I worry about taking a polygraph if I win as well because I have issues with anxiety. I like to compete too much to let it prevent me from doing it. I’ll deal with it if I ever get there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Glaucus said:

I'll reply to everyone eventually.

 

I'm going to start here. I don't like your analogy. The short NBA player like Nate Robinson can compete in the league despite the odds. He could maneuver around big guys like nobody else. Same with me. I can fish. I can compete. 

 

It would be like Nate competing and succeeding, and then being given a test to prove how he did it, failing, and officials taking everything from him. "Oh well you side stepped LBJ and sunk a fade away but if you can't answer these questions like we want you to, we're gonna have to go ahead and take those points from you." 

 

Talent =/= cognitive ability.

I think, (not speaking for him) but the way I understood it is you are already using your disability as a crutch and already making an excuse. I have been a school teacher for 13 years so I know all about how disabilities are used to change the rules so those with said disability could still be just as successful as other students in their class.

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I wouldn’t worry about it. I worry about taking a polygraph if I win as well because I have issues with anxiety. I like to compete too much to let it prevent me from doing it. I’ll deal with it if I ever get there. 

Same, I hope I am never a suspect in a murder investigation, I would fail miserably.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jbsoonerfan said:

I think, (not speaking for him) but the way I understood it is you are already using your disability as a crutch and already making an excuse. I have been a school teacher for 13 years so I know all about how disabilities are used to change the rules so those with said disability could still be just as successful as other students in their class.

Same, I hope I am never a suspect in a murder investigation, I would fail miserably.

That’s why they’re not admissible by law. We’re all wired differently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jbsoonerfan said:

you are already using your disability as a crutch and already making an excuse. I have been a school teacher for 13 years so I know all about how disabilities are used to change the rules so those with said disability could still be just as successful as other students in their class

Quite the opposite.  He's voicing concern, and asking how he can succeed in the current format. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Quite the opposite.  He's voicing concern, and asking how he can succeed in the current format. 

Guess i misunderstood. I thought he was saying a polygraph was unfair to him because of his disability, even though he has no idea if he could pass one or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×