From June into September, Saturday morning comes early. I'm up at 4:30, frying bacon and 2 eggs, which are then made into 2 sandwiches, one for myself and one for my grandson Aiden. Our boat is ready to go, rods and tackle loaded, along with a small cooler which holds 10 or 12 bottles of water, kept on ice overnight. I head out in darkness, swing by and pick up Aiden, then we're off. Our goal is to be launched, and trolling slowly by daybreak. We like to start with a buzzbait, casting over shallow weedy water. We can usually pick up at least 2 or 3 bass on the buzzbaits. The surface fishing may last for 1 or 11/2 hours, before the sun is high, and beating down on us. We then move to some deeper water spots we've found. I almost always use a plastic worm, Aiden his Rage Menace grub on a shakey head. Since he had a big day with this bait last summer it's his favorite now, and, it is a good one. We usually fish untill around noon. If it's overcast we stay longer. A good hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen are 3 things we always take along. The one thing I've found with summer bass fishing over the years is after several days of hot, humid weather, the fish are easier to locate. It's been easier for us to get a pattern going. The heat can be rough, but it's our favorite time to fish. We almost always can catch several bass in the 5 to 6 hrs were fishing. This year, we plan on making some evening trips, and fishing on into the night. For various reasons I havnt been able to fish at night for the past 2 seaons, so we're both looking forward to night fishing again. How do your summer fishing days go? Do you fish in the hottest part of the day? What are your favorite baits for hot weather bass? Do you become a night fisherman only?

• Like 5

I'm fishing topwater almost all summer.

My trips are first light to around noon or 1

Once the sun gets higher I target the shade with my topwater presentations.

Some times it is easier when the sun is high and I'm hitting the shade spots than it is at first light.

I'll use a toad, buzzbait and walk the dog type lure.

Sometimes I'll fish a section with the topwater and then swing back through trying something a little more finesse like pitching a senko to the laydowns.

More often than not I'm just covering water anxiously awaiting the next topwater explosion!!

Also love to hear about kids getting out on the lake, so that's awesome!!

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your ritual.  That's priceless stuff!

In the summer, I generally limit myself to early mornings to about 11 AM.  Or about 6 PM to dark.  I don't do much night fishing.  If it is overcast and/or windy, I will definitely go out any time of day.  Sometimes, mid-day, I will tool around our local lake and hit all the shade-offering docks that I can.  Another thing I will do in the hot months, when it is possible, is wade the local river for smallmouth and walleye using small crankbaits.

Like above, topwaters are preferred.  I really like buzz toads, since there is a ton of surface slop on the shores in the lakes and ponds I frequently fish.  If that doesn't get bit, a weightless fluke fished near the surface, or something T-rigged to punch through weeds would be next.

I really despise the heat and humidity, so when it is very warm, I tend to stay in and work on hobby stuff.  But, sometimes the itch is just too much and a guy has to get out there.

• Like 2

Same as it is now. Every chance I get, sometimes before work sometimes after and occasional Saturday mornings. Usually at night though big worms, topwater if I can, cranks and spinnerbaits usually round it off. Hoping to have some Saturdays panfishing with the grandson. 

• Like 1

I do all my fishing during the day. Usually from around 9 or 10 A.M. to about 3 to 5 P.M. depending on how much cloud cover and shade is available. I will use crankbaits, spinnerbaits, swimbaits, jigs, and a lot of soft plastics. I don't do any night fishing since I fish alone most of the time. There are to many things that can go wrong at night to take the chance. I will have a sandwich, nabs, ice tea, Gatorade, and water with me.

• Like 1

Bite is on: fish until they stop biting.

Bite is not on: find bar that is on the water. Enter bar. Purchase items. Return with items to boat and continue to fish as if bite is on. 

• Haha 1

My normal summer fishing day goes from around 8AM to 2PM.

generally in summer I focus on offshore structure. Time of day does not seem to matter as much when fishing offshore.

I have caught some of my largest fish around noon on 95+ degree days.

if you dress properly and drink plenty of water the summer heat is tolerable. generally around here the wind is always blowing at that time. if it is a calm day I will leave earlier.

I wear a UPF 50 long sleeve shirt, gloves, and a wide brim hat.

favorite baits depend on where I am fishing. small weedy lakes it is usually a  Pop r, neko rig, texas rigged worm  or a mojo rig.

larger rocky reservoirs it is usually a deep diving crankbait, football jig,  shakyhead/trickworm, or slow rolling a heavy spinnerbait.

Edited by Russ E
addition
  • Like 2

Usually the summer is slower around here , but not as slow as winter. They’ve been biting well lately for some reason , probably because it rained more this week and boosted the oxygen.

I usually do better in the summer starting at daybreak and fishing til 11-12 or so. I usually start with a frog and fish it an hour or so. I may try a spinnerbait for awhile and then switch to soft plastics. By 1030 or so the fish often will start relating to docks so I fish them until I quit.

Sometimes if I’m still out past noon I will fish some kind of worm in deep holes and have found that big fish tend to be there I reckon because they can find cooler water there. It often produces in mid to late pm too . Just caught a 5 pounder at a deep hole the other day.

• Like 2

It makes me happy hearing you have set that ritual. Probably means the world to aiden. Summertime fishing for me is whenever I can wake up and until I get hungry. For some reason if I bring food I don’t eat yet until noon (I’ll skip bfast to get to water). Then break for food and right back out till dark. Like you Saturday’s are my fishing days and if anyone can come great. I always, always target wood regardless of sun or overcast and may it be the 3rd, 4th or so on laydown I target I get one. Summertime for me is topwater and finesse. I’ve caught more lately on shakeyheads with a roboworm. Had luck on jigs the other day. Around my ways the fisheries specific pop tends to have required taste it seems. Buzzbaits are my favorite because the pickerel destroy my frogs and I’m about to quit buying them. I’ve been wanting to try the menace grub. You and aiden should try roboworms on a shakeyhead, and I’ll try a menace

• Like 2

@Mobasser I read your post and thought a lot about fishing with my grandfather as a boy.   Those experiences are a VERY big part of who I am.  Your grandson is very fortunate and I’m sure he will cherish his memories of fishing with you long after you’re gone.

• Like 2

Was thinking while reading this and realized that I had never fished with my grand parents other than my grandma taking a trip one or twice a year to fish off the Columbia River for salmon.  Dad...not to much either...was always pretty busy.   Me....when I had kids (Boy and Girl) I told my wife I was going to be irresponsible as I wanted to do things with my kids and I did.  We got a Volkswagen camper bus and it was game on on weekends.....it was very inexpensive.  As we got a little more money we got a john boat and things just kept going.  Great great memories.  

All the best to all of ya.

• Like 2