FrankN209

What size braid for punching?

I was watching a video of a local bass fisherman. He said that he was punching with 80lb braid. Isn't that too much? Would 50lb be suffice? 

Depends on how thick the slop is...I get by with 50#, but if it's really thick I'd consider going to 65#. 80# seems a bit much.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fishaholic7lbs said:

65# power pro super slick

That's what I figured at max. 

• Like 1

50# is plenty for me where I deal with limited amounts of grass. If I was in Florida flipping dense grass with a 2oz weight for potentially DD fish, 80lb would possibly be something I'd look into. I would think 65 would be plenty though and would cut through vegetation easier. 

• Like 1

50 lb Seagar smack down in stealth gray.

• Like 1

IMG_20190111_114837.jpg.e202791bd03783f22e05dd8a1c9ddd0b.jpg

• Like 2

I've always used 50# sufix but last time in Florida I tried 80# not needed for strength but it was easier to handle flipping and did not dig in after hurking on reeds and such.

• Like 1

Another Sufix 50lb 832 fan here for the Potomac grass beds.  Never felt the need for anything in greater strength.

• Like 1

I have used up to 80#, but really 50# has worked just fine.

• Like 1

Depends on the size of the bass and how thick the cover is.

I punch with 1/2 to 1 1/4oz weight and catch 1-4lb bass mostly, so I get away with 50lb easily. I could probably get away with 40, but what's the point of trying?

50lb should suit you fine. It handles better than the super heavy stuff, but everything handles pretty well with a 1oz tungsten weight swinging around.

braid size mainly relates to the cover you're punchin and 50-65 for general average purposes...i have 2 dedicated punch sticks...1 with 65# sufix 832 that has a lesser oz rig on it to use per the veg accordingly...then i have 1 stick that always has a 2oz on it that has 80# sufix 832...thats for the backwaters punchin the meat & potatoes of lotus fields and all the other jungle emergent varieties...50 & 65# for that specific situation where i use the 80# gets beat up much faster, the 80# sufix holds up longer/better...i still break off 80# if i get a flippin hook stuck in a stem that i cant reach, its the same as having a hook buried deep in a log...

the distance pics with lotus and the other with pickerel emergent with some lotus around, makes them almost appear more like normal pads...but for reference the one pic has a 1oz king daddy on a lotus to put them into perspective...

jungle (2).jpg

jungle2 (2).jpg

lotusking (2).jpg

• Like 5