Lake of the Ozarks WORLD RECORD!

• Super User

Spoonbill snagging has to be one of the goofiest ways to "fish" I know of.  I mean what are the chances of snagging a fish in a 14,000 square mile body of water AND that fish being a new record?

The odds seem almost impossible to even calculate. 

• Global Moderator

I think they are congregated below the dam in fast water.  Talk about a workout, man it's

not for old folks!

• Like 1

• Super User
6 minutes ago, gimruis said:

Spoonbill snagging has to be one of the goofiest ways to "fish" I know of.  I mean what are the chances of snagging a fish in a 14,000 square mile body of water AND that fish being a new record?

Sadly FFS has changed Paddlefish angling perhaps more than any other species.  

I have no idea what the appeal of snagging a fish using FFS is.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Super User
18 minutes ago, AlabamaSpothunter said:

Sadly FFS has changed Paddlefish angling perhaps more than any other species.  

I have no idea what the appeal of snagging a fish using FFS is.  

9 minutes ago, gimruis said:

Never even thought of that.  Thanks @AlabamaSpothunter.

More scope wizardry I guess

There is an older gent on youtube that talks about FFS for humminbird and bass fishing.  I found his channel when I got mine last year.  At one point as he's dialing in settings, he sees a fish along a bluff wall that's just lazing around.  After a little tweaking, you can make out the paddle and fins clearly on the screen. Pretty wild to see.  

• Like 2

• Super User

Yeah the first time I saw a big Bass turn sideways on a FFS screen (not mine, just a video) and you could clearly make out it's forked tail my mind was blown.

One fascinating thing I've learned recently is that the vast majority of the time, Bass know the scope/boat is there and are staring straight at the transducer.  I'm sure other species are less educated and don't immediately turn towards the ping.

The best guys I see on the scope don't even need to see the fish from the side in order to know what species.  They say catfish barely move, while Bass almost never sit still.     The big Crappie who tend to roam by themselves are the hardest to tell from Bass from what I can gather.  

• Global Moderator
17 hours ago, gimruis said:

They only seem able to accomplish it below dams here and it definitely looks exhausting, they have to take turns casting and ripping because they get so tired. 

• Like 2

There season is now. It’s surprising how many come out of our rivers here in Springfield. I have accidentally snagged some over the years bass fishing. A 20 or 30 pounder will give you all you need. I’m too old and fat to snag. Plus I really don’t care to eat them 

On 3/22/2024 at 2:06 PM, AlabamaSpothunter said:

The big Crappie who tend to roam by themselves are the hardest to tell from Bass from what I can gather.  

100%

Because they are so tall it's a big response on screen too.

200.gif
Mike Iaconelli has truly done it all in the world of professional bass fishing. He's a former Bassmaster Classic champion, a Toyota Bassmaster Angler of the Year and a B.A.S.S. Nation Championship winner -- the only angler who can boast all three. He's won more than $2.2 million in prize money and weighed in more than 100 pounds in a tournament. Here are his answers to our 20 Questions ... plus a bonus question for good measure.

And then it bites and it's all soft and mushy.

Sad Family Time GIF by Lifetime

• Haha 1