Sign in to follow this  
fish-fighting-illini

Rods for around $50 to $60

I'm set on reels and have a couple of nicer rods ( 1 Avid 1 Fenwick HMG but I am going to keep the rest of my future rods in the $50-$60 range if possible.

Forget the new Berkleys they are out.

I'm leaning toward the Shimano's in my price range. Sale priced BPS Extremes are possible when I'm near one.

Anything other ones I might be overlooking?

Thanks in advance

FFI - AKA Matt Crum

You don't need anymore rods, fish what you have.

Cheap equipment is not an advantage. Add quality

gear over time, it lasts a lifetime and makes fishing

more fun!

8-)

You don't need anymore rods, fish what you have.

Cheap equipment is not an advantage. Add quality

gear over time, it lasts a lifetime and makes fishing

more fun!

8-)

You've got a good point RW

I should have explained better up front my mistake. Then again I still don't have my mind completely set on the idea in general. I hate to tie and tying in the dark is a bear sometimes so I like to have several rods 4-6 with different lures. I will probably upgrade my cheapest rods from the $15 ones to $50 - $60 ones. I'll keep my Avid and HMG & maybe my BPS extreme for now anyway as I got pretty good deals on all of them.

Burley,

Someday I've got to witness your humor in person. The stuff you come up with at times is priceless.

FFI - AKA Matt Crum

The Daiwa Team-V rods at Wal-Mart are pretty fine rods for the money. They are extremely sensitive for the price.

I got a shimano compre for 59.99 and it is solid.  If you can't find it for that cheap I've used the clarus and it is also nice and in that range. I assume this is what you are looking at.

All Star Select from Dick's is a great rod in that price range. I am really impressed with the baitcasting rod I bought. Quality at a fantastic price.

I see All Star American Classics for $50 at a local dealer regularly.

Not sure if they are older models or refurbs. He sells a lot of refurbs like BPS Extremes for $30.

So far Im pretty happy with the Cabela's Fish Eagle II I got on clearance at Cabela's for $30.

The best buys will be refurbs or clearance items.

I have a Shimano Compre (older brown blank model) 6'6 MH/EF baitcasting rod (gently used) on eBay right now (seller ID bpm3067) and I also have a brand new (older model but still with tags and plastic still on) 6'6 M/F casting Compre that I'll be willing to sell for $65 shipped.  Both of these would probably fall within your budget and make great bassin' rods.

Bionic Blade from BPS.  I have two of these rods and personally like them as much as my Extreme rod.  Great, sensitive rod for the price.  I believe they are $50 when they go on sale (regularly $80).  

My $.02

Good luck

I'll add this one to the mix. Quantum Alliance for $59.99. While I haven't handled an Alliance in the bass series yet, I have in the musky rods and like it. As low_pro mentioned, the Bionic Blade would have been the other one I would have suggested (again, when they are on sale).

Extremes are on sale for $69.99 in the Fall Angler catalog right now.  Might be on the website too, but some things in that catalog are sale price where on the site they are still regular price.  The Extreme baitcast combo right now is on sale for $99.99 in the catalog, and that's the price of the rod itself when at regular retail, it's like getting the reel for free.