Sign in to follow this  
Bream Master

How come nobody uses goldfishes?

I stumbled upon this while looking at my friends fish tank.  Goldfishes are exotic compared to what a bass would see in nature.  All the hanging fins and all.  We were thinking, why don't people use them?  

THIS WAS BROUGHT UP NOT TOO LONG AGO...

IN MY HOME STATE OF N.J, IT IS ILLEGAL TO USE THEM...BUT A GOLDFISH CRANKBAIT ISNT!!!  HEHEHE ::o

In Pa it is illegal to use goldfish as bait.  If you were to release several goldfish into the lake that you are fishing, they could have an adverse reaction on the lake.  Basically you cant use goldfish as bait for the same reason you cannot transport fruits or vegitables into or out of the United States.  If the goldfish have deseases they could effect the resident fish population.   In some states it is completely illegal to use live bait do to similar reasons.  Idaho is one such state with a similar law in effect.

WOW, Illegal in your states?

In ohio they sell at it most baitshops down south for flathead catfish.

I only used it once, you can get a bunch for pretty cheap at baitshops around here.

They are all big, I know people who use 10" goldfish and up to 4lb carp for bait for flathead catfish!  :o

I bought feeder goldfish to use for crappie and they don't discriminate.    In Cali, shiners, large, can run 14.00 a dozen, and buying goldfish was cheaper.

In Texas, there are some waters that post restrictions, in general, most bodies of water allow them.      Big Bend National park and the Rio Grand, its illegal to bring into the park.

Great bait if you can use them.

Matt

Goldfish are illegal in most of Cali's waters also...... But its kind of silly, really, seeing as Cali already has a LARGE population of wild strain Glodfish in nearly every larger body of freshwater (as well as many smaller ponds) in the state. Wild strain Goldfish, however, are almost always misidentified by anglers, as common Carp. I have caught quite a few of them on night crawlers, up to a whopping 10 1/4 lbs !

Wildstrain ones, work great for Stripers in the Delta (and happen to be an exception to the law, in my home Delta waters) but I know guys who have bought the brightly colored, domesticated, feeder types and tried those for Stripers (illegal) and didn't catch a single Striper on them ??? Don't know if it was the smell, or what. Some were even the dull, bronze 'wild strain' color ?

Peace,

Fish

A local bait shop near the river where I go fishing alot sells what they call Goldfish but the owner told me they are actually a variety of shiner. I am not sure how accurate he is considering I do not know much about freshwater baitfish. If it were inshore I might could tell the difference. :o

Shiners and goldfish are cyprinids.

Shiners and goldfish are cyprinids.[/quot    

what raul said there a carp fish      thats why there banned in a lot of states  kb

Here where I live in WA, people are very protective of our fishing lakes.  You wanna get chewed out, try saying something that involves introducing an invasive species to one of our lakes.  Goldfish got into one of the smaller lakes a few years ago and they spent countless thousands of dollars to poison and siene them out of there.

Goldfish are classified as a pet. So they say its animal cruelty. You get fined in jersey if someone reports you or you get caught. I use something called red rosies, only for crappies. Sometimes bass hit them too.

QUITE A WHILE BACK MY BUDDY BROUGHT SOME GOLDFISH HE SAID THEY WERE CALLED FEEDER FISH. THEY WORKED FANTASTIC. ABOUT A WEEK LATER I FOUND OUT THEY WERE ILLEGAL. SO WE DIDN'T USE THEM ANY MORE. IT WAS TOO BAD BECAUSE THE SMALLMOUTH LOVED THEM.

IT'S TOO BAD SOMEBODY CAN'T PRODUCE A CRANKBAIT THAT HAS THAT PARTICULAR GOLD FINISH. AND IF THERE IS PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

I use something called red rosies, only for crappies. Sometimes bass hit them too.

yes i like rosy reds or albino fat heads. my oscar eats the ones i have leftover from the trip

Rapala once had a Goldfish lure that was either a Shad Rap or Countdown used to have some never caught anything. I may have some yet packed away somewhere but not interested in looking for them.

Chow