Sign in to follow this  
catchnm

Question about Yozuri UltraSoft on a BC

Do I need to use a spray on application for this stuff? Like KVD Line and Lure or Reel Magic? Or can I get by with out it? I have 6# on a small BC and it casts great. But I also have some 10# on a larger sized reel and it seems a little stiff.

I use regular YZ Hybrid, 12#, on some of my baitcasters and it handles fine.  Never used the KVD stuff on it - never felt the need.

Ditto to what Micro said on the 12#.  I have tried Yozuri Hybrid 15#, and have found that to be a bit stiff and stayed with the 12.  Awesome line.  Just my .02 cents

Thanks for the responses. I kinda thought RW might post up on this thread too.

The reel I have the 10# on is a Daiwa Exceler. I also have it on a new Citica 200E. Haven't casted the Citica yet so I will do that today and see how much difference there is. Both were quite "smooth" feeling using 12# Big Game Mono. I just noticed some "roughness" when I was casting the Daiwa.

You don't have to use any treatment,

but KVD Line & Lure Conditioner will

make all lines perform better. I really

like this product and use it exclusively

on my line. However, you will find the

Yo-Zuri Hybrid Ultra Soft manageable

and user friendly without conditioner.

8-)

I just recently switched to Yo-Zuri Hybird Ultra Soft on my BCs.  I am using 12lbs and treated my line with KVd and it is ultra manageable and is absolutely the best line I have ever used.  It performs great for everything.

Later, :)

I do not know about line treatments as I never use them. The Youzri Ultra Hybrid, is the only fishing suggestion Roadwarrior made to me that I tried and did not like. It had no benifit in fishing over the usual mono I use and was 3 times the price per yard, with no real big difference, except that I felt the brand I use handled better, but that is probablly because I have been using it for years

I picked up some 15# Ultra Soft for the first time and have been using it for about a month now. So far I have found this line to be very managable!!! Much less memory than most 15# line I've used. I am looking forward to trying some 8# on my spinning rigs.

The abrasion resistance and knot strength seems good as well, I've been catching alot of pike and this line holds up well when nicked up from their teeth.

I've been a P-line flouroclear user but I think I'm switching over!!!

It had no benifit in fishing over the usual mono I use and was 3 times the price per yard, with no real big difference, except that I felt the brand I use handled better, but that is probablly because I have been using it for years

1. WAY stronger than mono

2. Definitely stealthier than mono

3. More abrasion resistance than mono

4. Significantly less memory and stretch

That's a pretty big difference.

It's not all that, I have used it for a whole season and to me it's more hype than reality.  ESPECIALLY FOR YOUR  point #4, not in my experience .I hold RW's suggestions in high regard, I ain't feeling this Hybrid soft issue though. :-/

Got both the Exceler and the Citica out together today for a couple hours. after some adjusting of tensions and brakes I had both casyting great with the 10# ultra soft. The only drawback I see so far is if I do get a backlash it goes really deep into the spool. I have to use a bit more finesse to get it out than with the mono. The 12# Big Game that I was using had a diameter of .014, the Ultra Soft 10# is .013 with a breaking point of 15.6 lbs. Not sure what the Big Game breaking point is but it's some strong stuff. I still have three Citicas spooled up with Big Game, think I'll keep 'em that way. That'll give me three with Big Game and two with Ultra Soft Yozuri, plus the Exceler with Ultra Soft as well.

A plus for the Yozuri that I noticed almost immediately is sensitivity. Man I can feel my Senko hit the top of the grass in 15 feet of water. The pond I was fishing today is one where the bass don't tap but just suck the bait in very subtly. I was feeling the hits better than I had on the Big Game. Castability and distance was about the same, maybe a foot or two more with the Yozuri. I think I'll like it OK, not sure it was really worth the price difference for the type fishing I normally do though.

I really like the 6# Ultra Soft on my spinning gear and won't mind purchasing more for that purpose. I'll honestly probably just stick with the Big Game for my baitcasters after the spool of 10# Ultra Soft I have is gone though. I can see it's advantages for the competitive fisherman but for my style, I don't think I really have to have it. Doesn't look like I'll be needing any line treatment spray either.

I've been away a while, and yo and behold the Yozuri US hybrid discussion has taken off again.

At RW's suggestion, I have tried two setups with the stuff:

1.  BC with 12# test-casts very well, smooth through the guides, like it's already lubed (but I'm used to braid).  The only complaint is that it just doesn't feel right to me for hard jerk baits.   Feels like someone put a rubber band in line with the lure, very soft on the jerk.

2.  6# test on a 1500 size Daiwa spinning reel.  I used it for jigging walleyes and really liked it.  Then I had to use it on king salmon up to 16 #, and while it was clearly under what was appropriate for those fish, it did quite well, casted well, and seemed pretty tough and strong considering its test.  I'll continue using it for the jigging, will go to 8 or 10 for the kings and hope it doesn't get too stiff (will have a bigger reel).

I got to say I had a bad experience with yo zuri US.  I have 10# spooled on my BC and after just a couple fish and no backlashes I set the hook on a bass and it just snapped.  Luckily for my sanity I saw the fish jump and it was only about a pound.  This was frustrating because I have never really had it happen with other lines (except spider wire mono, which I will never purchase again).  The line was not curled at the end so I don't believe it was a bad knot.

Before this incident I really enjoyed the lines qualities, less stretch and good casting distance.  I will continue to fish it and maybe I need to purchase some 12# or 14#...but I think I will buy 14# sufix elite when I re-spool again.

RoseAngler,

Hybrid is a bonded fluorocarbon/ nylon blend. Fluoro is a crystal. A backlash will sometimes create a very obvious kink in the line. This is a weak spot that should be removed. Either respool or add-on as I do. I like 80-100 yards of good line, the rest can be backing.

I assure you, that's what happen, the line will not break on its own.

-Kent  a.k.a. roadwarrior

8-)