Sign in to follow this  
Speed Worm

I'm in love

Ladies and Gentleman,

I'm in love with my new Revo STX. A long time Shimano fan has changed sides to Abu Garcia. After months of pondering and hearing bashing after bashing on how this reel is a pain to cast, I got myself an STX. I fished it today and was BLOWN AWAY by the quality of the reel.

The things that I liked the most about this reel are:

1) I outcasts any Shimano I've ever fished with (including the Curado 200E) by at least 10 yards when casting light lures.

2) The retrieve is as smooth as I've ever felt.

3) The reel feels solid. No backplay in the handle. No play in the sideplate (Curado, Citica).

4) The drag .. oh my .. that drag

5) Casting is effortless. I'm used to cracking the whip when fishing centrifugal brakes on Shimanos in order to get max distance. With this reel, I outcast without having to put so much power into the cast. The spool tension was pretty tight (so that the rod tip had to be moved to make the lure drop) and the magnetics to about 25%.

6) Rollcasting and pitching is 100% easier.

Sorry if I wasted your time ... I just needed to get it off my chest ;D I'm in love!

PS.: Micro, I apologize for judging you .. you were right

Does it have a sister? :D

I'm always amazed at how many people struggle casting these great reels.  A ton of very credible people on here always say it so it must be a real issue for some people.  They all have more talent than me, but I have never been able to figure out how they were having difficulties.  I'm glad you like it.  Imo, when compared with the Shimano Curados and lower the Revo's SX and STX blow them out of the water.  Can't speak for Shimano's above the Curado level though.

Had my revo STX for about 2 years now... i actually got it by returning a curado. But it is a great reel. I dont know if it is my favorite reel, its a close one between the revo and the zillion.

I'm in love!

PS.: Micro, I apologize for judging you .. you were right

Let me tell you a thing or two about Daiwa Zillions....

They better be better b/c you are going to have to shell out another 70 bucks.

They are smoother.  But better?  Hmmm.  I love those Zillions, but the STX is real hard to beat for $200.  

Had my revo STX for about 2 years now... i actually got it by returning a curado. But it is a great reel. I dont know if it is my favorite reel, its a close one between the revo and the zillion.

co-sign.

I love the STX, but the SX is such a great reel I'm not even sure the STX is worth another 30 bucks.  Best reason I can come up with is if you just really like silver better than black.

I love the STX, but the SX is such a great reel I'm not even sure the STX is worth another 30 bucks. Best reason I can come up with is if you just really like silver better than black.

x2

Don't doubt anyone's opinions, but I just couldn't tell.  And I like black.  Sxs' for me.

I have retired all of my Curados for Revos.

I'm always amazed at how many people struggle casting these great reels.

The magnetic drag is finicky and has poor "memory". I have resolved

the issue by making this reel a "dedicated" jig rig. This is a very

important component of my arsenal, but I would NEVER recommend

this reel when there are so much better options. The CH50MG is

being discontinued and is currently on sale for less than the STX.

The Shimano is a significantly superior reel at a better price.

I'm always amazed at how many people struggle casting these great reels.

The magnetic drag is finicky and has poor "memory". I have resolved

the issue by making this reel a "dedicated" jig rig. This is a very

important component of my arsenal, but I would NEVER recommend

this reel when there are so much better options. The CH50MG is

being discontinued and is currently on sale for less than the STX.

The Shimano is a significantly superior reel at a better price.

RW, honest question.  You have made this statement several times.  Keeping in mind that I have very little experiance with worming and jigging, how does dedicating this reel to that type of fishing solve your problem.  Just trying to catch on. :D

I have only owned the SX...and I was having trouble casting 1/4oz baits with it my first time out.  I returned it after that, but you might get accustomed to it with more usage.  The line capacity is what holds the Revo's back in casting lightweight baits; it's is the same thing that irritates me with the Zillions.  It doesn't matter how light the spool is when it holds 145yds of line.  Line is heavy!  That is why the Mg50 casts lightweight baits so well....it only holds 85yds of 12lb line.  

RW is more than just a little biased when it comes to Shimano.   :D

RW, honest question. You have made this statement several times. Keeping in mind that I have very little experience with worming and jigging, how does dedicating this reel to that type of fishing solve your problem. Just trying to catch on. :D

Micro,

You're right and I came back to delete my post, but it was already

copied. I guess we're all bored tonight.

Regarding "dedicated": I fish 1/2 oz jigs + trailer ~ 3/4 oz. Heavy

lures have a dramatic effect on all aspects of a reel's casting

performance. With 3/4 oz, nothing is subtle.

Other impressions:

The STX is beautiful, solid and strong. Ergonomics are outstanding,

especially for palming the reel. I would like everything about the

reel if (when) Abu Garcia changes the braking system. As Mircro

has noted on other occasions, spending time working with the reel

will resolve problems for most fishermen. I just don't want to have

to fight with a reel or any of my equipment.

8-)

I'm glad you found your true love and I'm sure it's a very fine reel but, I must respectfully say BULL COCKA to your comparison with Shimano.

I'm another that's moved on to better equipment.  The STX has a lot of great features and would still be on some of my rods (as well as the SX) if not for the achilles heel on that reel, the braking system.

I'm on the water to enjoy myself, not fiddle with a temperamental fishing reel.

Redesign the braking system and I'll be a Revo SX/STX customer again. Until then I've got a much better reel and for less.

RW, I might be dense (I've been told that once or twice), but I don't get it.  Not the weight so much, buch do you find less of a problem with cast control because there is less casting involved?  I mostly fish cranks and spinners, so jigging and such is relatively new grounds for me.

RW, honest question. You have made this statement several times. Keeping in mind that I have very little experiance with worming and jigging, how does dedicating this reel to that type of fishing solve your problem. Just trying to catch on. :D

Micro,

You're right and I came back to delete my post, but it was already copied. I guesse we're all bored tonight.

Regarding "dedicated": I fish 1/2 oz jigs + trailer ~ 3/4 oz. Heavy lures have a dramatic effect on all aspects of a reel's casting performance. With 3/4 oz, nothing is subtle.

Other impressions:

The STX is beautiful, solid and strong. Ergonomics are outstanding, especially for palming the reel. I would like everything about the reel if (when) Abu Garcia changes the braking system. As Mircro has noted on other occasions, spending time working with the reel will resolve problems for most fishermen. I just don't want to have to fight with a reel or any of my equipment.

8-)

I can agree with that....even the Skeet Reese model with it's centrifugal brakes needs an upgrade.  I had pretty much decided I wanted two of these reels before I took off the sideplate and saw Abu's version of centrifugal brakes.  They just seemed cheap; and I'm mostly a Daiwa guy.  I guess my 'homer' opinion is that I like centrifugal brakes in general, but if a reel has magnetic brakes....it better be Daiwa's Magforce V or Z.  

RW, honest question. You have made this statement several times. Keeping in mind that I have very little experiance with worming and jigging, how does dedicating this reel to that type of fishing solve your problem. Just trying to catch on. :D

Micro,

You're right and I came back to delete my post, but it was already copied. I guesse we're all bored tonight.

Regarding "dedicated": I fish 1/2 oz jigs + trailer ~ 3/4 oz. Heavy lures have a dramatic effect on all aspects of a reel's casting performance. With 3/4 oz, nothing is subtle.

Other impressions:

The STX is beautiful, solid and strong. Ergonomics are outstanding, especially for palming the reel. I would like everything about the reel if (when) Abu Garcia changes the braking system. As Mircro has noted on other occasions, spending time working with the reel will resolve problems for most fishermen. I just don't want to have to fight with a reel or any of my equipment.

8-)

I can agree with that....even the Skeet Reese model with it's centrifugal brakes needs an upgrade. I had pretty much decided I wanted two of these reels before I took off the sideplate and saw Abu's version of centrifugal brakes. They just seemed cheap; and I'm mostly a Daiwa guy. I guess my 'homer' opinion is that I like centrifugal brakes in general, but if a reel has magnetic brakes....it better be Daiwa's Magforce V or Z.

So the $200 + Skeet Reese reel is using those cheapo Revo S centrifugal brakes?

::)

Amazing, Garcia has Pflueger as a partner in the Pure fishing empire, I don't understand why they're not going with the more tried and true Centrifugal braking system or even the mag brakes Pflueger uses on most of their reels.  Those garcia brakes are chintzy. When you lock the the pins down they never really feel like they've locked into place.  

I think there is not a reel out there that is better than another reel. There is a reel for everyone, that will suit one's style and preferences best. I just found mine. :D

"Solid feel" and castability of light lures (speedworms) are my priority. This reel does wonderfully at both those aspects.

With respect to the discussion about it not being user friendly .. I don't know if I agree. The first few casts felt "weird" and backlashed a couple of times. But once I figured out the settings, I fished it for 5 hours without a backlash. It didn't take me any longer to figure it out than the time it took me to figure out my Shimano reels.

The Chronarch MG50 are great reels (I've tried them but never owned one) and would do a great job wrt casting the lures I use most of the time. However, it just doesn't feel right in my hands. I don't know if it is the weight or the small handles ... I just don't feel it. Plus, I take my reels on an occasional saltwater trip, and they need to be able to handle 20-30 lb tarpon.

RW, I might be dense (I've been told that once or twice), but I don't get it. Not the weight so much, buch do you find less of a problem with cast control because there is less casting involved? I mostly fish cranks and spinners, so jigging and such is relatively new grounds for me.

Lure weight dramatically influences spool rotation, both initially and near the end of a cast. Heavier weights are generally easier to control.

8-)