Sign in to follow this  
Handy

Really good rod for under $50???

I am posting this question for my dad. He is looking to update his spinning rod and reel(probably over 30 years old at least). he found a reel he likes and it's the flooger president. He's also found a few rods he likes but most are berekely lightning rods and from what I have read you either hate them or love them. He has found that the lighter rods(actual weight) don't aggrivate his casting arm(tennis elbow?). So what would be a all around spinning rod(meduim power) for around $50 that is lightweight but still a quality purchase that could last for some time to come? Thanks.

Paul

If he likes Berkley take a look at the new Shock. Nice rod for around $ 50. It is suitable for superline use.

Any way you look at it, you won't get a very lightweight rod for $50. Lightning Rods are decent quality for the money, but compared to other rods they are heavy.

Someone has a thread about the$49 allstar rods up right now that you might want to check out. I have one and for the money they're pretty darn good. I only use it for trout fishing a couple times a year but so far its held up well, especially considering the cost.

here's the thread http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1235389528

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1235389528

If flechero says it's a good rod, it's a good rod.

8-)

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  

I used an All Star Classic c-rig rod for over a year after I started building rods...  I was in no hurry to replace it because it is a quality rod.

Well since you just missed the Cabellas Fish Eagle II sale at 30 bucks a rod i would definitely go with Flechero's suggestion.

i can vouch for the allstars as well. i dont own any but when i go with my wifes step dad, i sometimes use his.  i have seen 7lb hybrids hauled in without a problem on the 6' med/fast rod.  thats all he uses and has been using for years.

Cliff

I'd put a little more to the budget and get the St Croix Triumph.  I have several and love'em.  And not much more than the $50.

Ern

I have three All Stars I use for shore fishing, I think they were around $50.  Not as nice as the Team All Stars, but they are well worth the money, especially if its tight.

I'd put a little more to the budget and get the St Croix Triumph. I have several and love'em. And not much more than the $50.

Ern

Beat me to it Ern! And, if you have a Dick's Sporting Goods close by, there are always coupons floating around, of varying denominations. Right now, I think its $10 off a $50 purchase, that makes a Triumph either 50 or 60 bucks, depending on model. If he isnt in a hurry, there was a $30 off a $100 purchase a couple months ago, he could buy the whole rig for less than $100 then.

A number of places have the older model of the Shimano Clarus on sale for $39.  I don't have one yet, but am thinking about it for an application I don't run into often.  It does get good mentions.