Sign in to follow this  
Catt

Spinning Reels?

Front drag or Rear drag?  :)

I like a rear drag better.  Funny you brought this up, I've been wondering lately if one is mechanically better that the other. :-/

Definite preference for front drag.

I'm waiting for the big reveal...

front

I like a rear drag better. Funny you brought this up, I've been wondering lately if one is mechanically better that the other. :-/

I vote front drag. I had read somewhere that front drag spinning reels typically have larger diameter drag washers than comparable rear drag reels. It may not make a difference, I don't really know.

Front drag do have a stronger more consistent drag.

And it's what the Pflueger Supreme comes in. :)

Front for me, purely from an aesthetics POV. Those rear drags stick out like a fat, swollen, bee-stung thumb.

Rear drag is a matter of convenience.  It's easier to get to while fighting a fish.  But because of it has to come up through the middle of the drag washers, it requires a larger hole, and therefore less drag material.  So with all else being equal...  front drag is smoother.  A front drag reel will also be noticably lighter.

Front for me, purely from an aesthetics POV. Those rear drags stick out like a fat, swollen, bee-stung thumb.

yep....front for me

I like on the front but for saltwater that might be a different story.  

If you have a large fish on and you're trying to tire the fish out, the rear drag comes in handy.  Just seems easier to adjust.

Front.

I've owned four rear drag reels over the years and none of them featured a non-sticky drag.  The best of the lot as far as the drag went was a Spirex 2500RE.  Caught two 15 lb. stingray with it, the drag never missed a beat.  The same couldn't be said for my two older Daiwa WE1355's that struggled with anything heavier than a pound.

I prefer front drag also,I have a tendency of putting my hand right in front of the reel but on the  rod blank when I hook one with some shoulders.I can adjust the drag without looking at it and keep my eyes on my line.

Let me get this clear y'all saying I need a front drag :)

For those that mentioned making adjustments while fighting a fish:

Set your drag, initially with a scale until you have "a feel" for where

it's set. Check your drag before every outing and occasionally during

the day. Never adjust the drag while fighting a fish...NEVER.

8-)

Many advocate backing your drag down during storage, I do just out of habit, so you need to reset every time you go out.  My drag is set by feel and varies depending on my presentation.  For example I set a heavier drag when I plan on using a harder hook set, conversely I ease up the the drag for spoons or hard jerkbaits and just use a wrist flick to set the hook.  I will adjust my drag during a fight, but that doesn't make it right, I do lose some that way.

For those that mentioned making adjustments while fighting a fish:

Set your drag, initially with a scale until you have "a feel" for where

it's set. Check your drag before every outing and occasionally during

the day. Never adjust the drag while fighting a fish...NEVER.

8-)

Under "normal" freshwater fishing conditions I would agree, but I think it can be helpfull in certain circumstances.  For example, I sometimes like to take my crappie rig (UL rod & 4lb line) & fish for carp out of a kayak.  It can take 15 to 30 minutes to land a large carp.  I start with my drag very light, and by the end of the fight I'll have the drag all the way down (right at 4 lbs).  By that time they aren't making any moves the rod can't absorb.  I'm not saying adjusting the drag (in this case) is absolutely necessary, but I do think it's a usefull tool.