Sign in to follow this  
Blues19

ardent reels

I am looking at getting a new reel and currently have one ardent reel.  I like it, but I have read that some people have not had good results.  I have only heard great things about shimano and the Abu Revos so I am thinking about those.  Does anyone have an ardent?

I have 2 xs1000s and a c400 and haven't had a single problem with them. I really like these reels; they are fast, incredibly smooth, powerful, comfortable, cast very far and have the best drag I have ever used on a casting reel. I have read some threads on here about people having problems with them, I sit at me computer and think "what are they talkin' about?"

I don't know what model you have but I will certainly recommend the xs. :)

I sit at me computer and think "what are they talkin' about?"

I don't know what model you have but I will certainly recommend the xs. :)

This what they are talking about.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewardentxs1000.html

Tackletour openion is just that ONE MAN openion.  I have a SX and it is a great reel.  Bud

You shouldn't allow the opinions of others to influence your choices in tackle.  Shimano, Daiwa, Abu, Quantum included.

You shouldn't allow the opinions of others to influence your choices in tackle. Shimano, Daiwa, Abu, Quantum included.

What?

I think you'll find that the recommendations on this Forum are quite

helpful when choosing a reel.

I prefer Shimano. ::)

http://unattributed.net/html/whiskey.html

You shouldn't allow the opinions of others to influence your choices in tackle.  Shimano, Daiwa, Abu, Quantum included.

I agree with RW...WHAT?

Then why login and ask for any..... ::)

Tight Lines!!!

Tackletour openion is just that ONE MAN openion. I have a SX and it is a great reel. Bud

One man's opinion? How about these other opinions...

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_100409____SearchResults

From the sound of it, they're hit-or-miss. You might get a good one, you might get crap. For that kind of money, I'd expect better odds than that.

Personally I prefer not to fish with door wedges

LOL, me neither - I use paper weights, less fatigue on your wrists.

;D

You shouldn't allow the opinions of others to influence your choices in tackle. Shimano, Daiwa, Abu, Quantum included.

What?

I think you'll find that the recommendations on this Forum are quite

helpful when choosing a reel.

I prefer Shimano. ::)

http://unattributed.net/html/whiskey.html

I agree with RW...WHAT?

Then why login and ask for any.....

Tight Lines!!!

I guess connotative is not the way to go. My point is simply this, there are people who regardless of a request for a helpful response will provide one more in line with their personal allegiance. Shimano is not always the answer. Diawa is not always the answer.

There are also people who would also keep their sponsorships a bit mysterious. There are others who make it known with every response.

I have no sponsors, but I have allegiances:

The answer is Shimano if you ask about reels.

My answer is Yo-Zuri if the question is about line.

Rods? Probably G. Loomis or St. Croix, but I also

have room for Lamiglas if we're talking deep cranking.

Everyone has their "favorite" which should not be confused

with "best".

8-)

I guess connotative is not the way to go.  My point is simply this, there are people who regardless of a request for a helpful response will provide one more in line with their personal allegiance.  Shimano is not always the answer.  Diawa is not always the answer.

There are also people who would also keep their sponsorships a bit mysterious.  There are others who make it known with every response.

The OP asked about Ardent reels and also stated that he was thinking about Shimano and Abu Revos. The posters above either posted their opinions on Ardent reels, links to reviews for Ardent reels, or simply stated their brand preference out of the brands the OP listed.

Where's the problem?  :-?

"Shimano is not always the answer.  Diawa is not always the answer."

True but if one isn't the answer the other one is.

As far as ardent. I'll never find out how they are unless they decide to make a left hand retrieve.

I have 5 Ardent reels, 2 xs models and 3 xs1000 models. Love them...................Al

PS- not sponsored by Ardent

I worked in the outdoor sports dept of one of the larger sporting goods chains. If someone came in and wanted to buy a Shimano, he walked out with a Shimano. If someone came in and wanted to buy an Abu, he walked out with an Abu.

Now, if someone came in and asked what's the best reel for "X" application. They got the best information I could provide based upon experience and product knowledge. My preferences are for Abu and Daiwa but if answer was Shimano, Penn or Quantum, that's what the customer got.

Out of all the tackle I sold, 1 guy came back to complain and I made sure he got his money back and discount on the new reel. I also scored 2 100% ratings from secret shoppers, for what that was worth.

I've been fishing for a bit more than 35 years. I've never asked for anything except quality tackle and value for my dollar.

I am looking for a reel for cranking and the Ardents all have 5 and 6 gear ratio models.  I hear alot about a 5. something gear ratio for crankbaits so I am looking for one of these.  Since the citica no longer has the 5.2 gear ratio I know I will be forced to get a reel around the $200 mark, so now the question is, which reel?  I like my ardent, but I think it may be just a little to much money to spend on a hit or miss reel.  I have had lousy luck with bass pro reels and am now looking for something which will last.  The REVO Winch looks good, but will it cast 1/4 oz baits?

Thank you all  for your opinions, I value each persons comment as you all have more experience than me and can teach me alot!

The Curado is available in a 5:1 and can be converted to 6.3:1 or 7:1 at a later date if you desire. I paid less than $155 shipped for my E7 on Ebay, brand new.

I don't own an Ardent, but every one that I have ever held and cranked seemed rough.  None exhibited the sort of fit and finish I would expect from a reel in that price range.  And, frankly, the designs are bizarre, as highlighted in the Tackle Tour piece.  Why on earth Ardent would design a reel that required the removal of the spool from the crank-side to finger-adjust the brakes is beyond me.

I'm all for an American-made reel.  But that seems to be the primary selling point.

I'm all for an American-made reel. But that seems to be the primary only selling point.

Fixed it for you. :)

Why on earth Ardent would design a reel that required the removal of the spool from the crank-side to finger-adjust the brakes is beyond me.

On Arent reels you do not have to remove the spool to change the breaks.  They adjust just like a Shimano.   Bud

I am looking for a reel for cranking and the Ardents all have 5 and 6 gear ratio models. I hear alot about a 5. something gear ratio for crankbaits so I am looking for one of these. Since the citica no longer has the 5.2 gear ratio I know I will be forced to get a reel around the $200 mark, so now the question is, which reel? I like my ardent, but I think it may be just a little to much money to spend on a hit or miss reel. I have had lousy luck with bass pro reels and am now looking for something which will last. The REVO Winch looks good, but will it cast 1/4 oz baits?

Thank you all for your opinions, I value each persons comment as you all have more experience than me and can teach me alot!

an 08 Energy E750PT (5.1) can be found on ebay for less than $100, great reel for cranks IMO

Why on earth Ardent would design a reel that required the removal of the spool from the crank-side to finger-adjust the brakes is beyond me.

On Arent reels you do not have to remove the spool to change the breaks. They adjust just like a Shimano. Bud

Symantics.  You can adjust the Ardent brakes by opening the left side cover, but you can't adjust them with your finger.  You'll need to use something like a straightened paper clip to make the adjustment.

I don't own an Ardent, but I've used their baitcasters.  Their first version was...   I'll say sketchy.  I have noticed improvements as they've evolved though.  I have fished a current XS1000 & I thought it was OK. For me, there are a few other reels I'd spend the same money on before choosing the Ardent.

If Ardent were to hire a Japanese engineer to help them, I think they could crank out an excellent reel.

Since the citica no longer has the 5.2 gear ratio I know I will be forced to get a reel around the $200 mark, so now the question is, which reel?

If you want a citica then buy one. Then you can either do one of two things just use the Citica as is. A 5.2 gear ration is most certainly not required for cranks. Or you can pick up a Curado 5.2 gear set and change the gears in the Citica.

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1235245772