Sign in to follow this  
adclem

Cork or Foam Grips

Cork or Foam grips?  Which do you prefer and why?  I am getting a custom rod made and am debating on which grips to use.  Really like the looks of the black foam but have never used foam grips, only cork.

Thanks, ;)

It's mostly preference... On my own rods I only use foam for cranking rods... I think foam dampens vibration a little more so I don't like it on my "feel" rods. If I had a dedicated spinnerbait rod, I might use foam on that one as well. Or maybe even a dedicated topwater rod.

The only cork I use these days is exotic burl... if that is an option with your builder, check it out.

ive always liked the look and feel of cork....except when its wet...

I think having foam will reduce your overall rod weight just a bit, but not by much.

If you don't think you will care much about a fraction of a ounce I would still go with foam just because it feels and looks great!!!

I like the feel, look, and durability of foam versus cork.

x2

I'm partial to cork myself. I just like the look and feel of it.

Reel Mechanic - If you see this, I'd (we'd) be interested in a rod builders opinion on this. Anyone else that builds rods too.

Foam. But none of the rods I want have it. Foam on the forgrip and butt.

Lamiglas spinning.. nope

Loomis spinninig.. nope

Cork or burl.

Reel Mechanic - If you see this, I'd (we'd) be interested in a rod builders opinion on this. Anyone else that builds rods too.

Like flechero (an excellent builder) stated mostly customers preference.

Builders have opinions on what they would have if the rod was being built for them. But the really good builders when talking with a client take more of what the client wants than what they would have into consideration.

The really big problem would be if the builder isn't setup to put foam grips onto rods because of the way they are fitted.....

I don't own a rod with foam. Even my Quantum® Big Cat catfish rods don't have foam, not because I don't like foam just because every rod I have owned/used in my lifetime has had cork fore and aft, now only burl/cork aft and very limited...

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!

Wow, its pretty much split.  To bad cork doesn't come in black.  I guess I will keep reading replies and go to BPS and check out some rods with foam on them and see how they feel compared cork.

But first let me ask one more important question, is the foam more comfortable on a long fishing trip?  For those of you that have used both.

Later, ;)

I have used both and I would pick foam if I could. IMHO it's more comfortable and durable. Most importantly it's not slick when wet. I don't perspire, I SWEAT and end up having to try and keep cork dry ;). It might, but I just can't see how it would cut down on the "feel"...

skillet

Last year I would have said cork no doubt but now I'm not so sure.  I own mostly cork but I do like the foam on my Damiki Dark Angel and Carrot Stix LTX.

I have to say I am surprised to see the amount of members who like the foam grip better, just because when I go to any store, from Walmart to Cabela's or any other one I see 95% of the rods with cork handles. You would think a good marketing group would have done a better research.

I think I only have 2 foam, and they are the catfishing rods, all others are cork.

I have decided to go with foam for my grips thanks for all the input.

Thanks, ;)