Sign in to follow this  
Brian4618

P-Line Floroclear

Has anyone used P-Line Floroclear? The line has a fluorocarbon coating but not 100% floroucarbon, so how is the line visibality? Also, is this a good line to spool and entire baitcaster with? Or should i just use it as a leader? Thanks

I use this line on a conventional reel used in saltwater.  It is this and very strong and I'm happy with the knot strength. I mostly drift fish or troll but on occasion cast feathers and spoons.  I use 20 lb and have caught kingfish, dolphin, bonita and sailfish, these are very hard fighting fish.

Before I made the switch to 100% fluoro I used P-Line fluorclear a lot. I always used it as my main line so yes you can spool your entire baitcaster with it. I know some guys on this forum had issues with fluoroclear but I never had any problems with mine.

I started using it this year as a main line and I've not had any problems with it.  Weaker than CXX but that's to be  expected.  Have been using 12lb and really like it, don't think I would go any lower than 12lb but that's a matter of opinion, I tend to like a little stiffer and thicker line.  Use 12lb on my spinning gear.  Can't say too much about the visibility, been raining really hard on and off all spring here and the waters not all that clear.  

Floroclear is supposed to be about 10% stronger than CX Premium (per FAQ).  I like the 12lb; it's pretty stealthy and at least as strong as 12lb mono.  It's a little slippery, so you need to pay attention to your knots.  To me, it's more manageable than Yo-Zuri UltraSoft (untreated) and gives much better casting distance.  However, Yo-Zuri is significantly strong (and thicker & more visible).  I just sprayed a spool of YZ-US with KVD L&L, so my opinion of it is subject to change ;)

I used floroclear for about a year I had a bad problem with it breaking off. Went back to the C-XX no problems with it.

In smaller diameters, Floroclear cannot be trusted.

>;)

One of my fishing partners uses Fluoroclear for leaders when fishing steelhead.  He did so well with it, he decided it would his cranking line for bass.  I've never seen anyone chuck so many Lucky Crafts to the lake gods in my life, LOL.  He broke off on fish, weeds, on the cast, rocks, everything!  He eventually gave up and switched to Triple Fish FC.  Personally, I like CXX.  I'm currently testing out Berkley 100% FC, and I'm REALLY liking the stuff.

Using it now as my main line on my Quantum Energy PT/Mojo Plastics Rod.  Used it for 2 outings so far and I love the castability and sensitivity that it has.  Its not as strong as Floro and it does have some stretch like mono.  Pretty visible, but not sure about glowing for night fishing, and if its as invisible underwater as 100% Floro.  I really like it, although I did just convert from Berkley Vanish which I've come to find out is great on durability, break strength and knot strength but sucks in the castability and manageability areas.

In smaller diameters, Floroclear cannot be trusted.

>;)

When 6lb Yo-Zuri is your standard for light lines, almost all other thin lines will be unreliable in comparison ;D ;D ;D

I didn't notice much difference in strength between 6lb Floroclear and 6lb Trilene XL (meaning both resulted in lots of lost baits :) ).

I like CX Premium in 8lb as much as I like the 6lb Floroclear. However, I have a couple spools of 6lb Gamma ready next time I need to respool.

I think Floroclear would appeal to old school anglers who like stealthy lines and who think it is sporting to play a fish rather than winch it in at warp speed. (like me until a couple years ago :) )