Sign in to follow this  
Jameson

Line Conditioners

Hello All,

new member here and I dont want to jump into the hornets nest right away but here goes ;)

I have been perusing the forums for about a week or two, and see alot of KVD line conditioner mentioned. Others too.

I fish lots of freshwater, but mostly saltwater striped bass fishing. In the thousands of trips I have taken with people (I used to be a mate on a charter boat) I have never seen this in use. When i started getting into freshwater saw many people on forums suggesting line conditioners.

Three more questions, What is in the stuff? Is it some sort of silicone treatment? Is it toxic?

I assume it is only used for mono/flouro/copoly and not braids?

Very excited to hear what the consensus thinks...

Regards,

JC

Here you go:

http://www.lineandlure.com/freshwater/

KVD Line & Lure Conditioner lives up to EVERY claim.

The most important attribute, at least for me, is reducing

line memory.

8-)

I have yet to use a line that made me want to put conditioner on it! And i use BPS XPS fluoro(STIFF)!

KVD Line & Lure Conditioner lives up to EVERY claim. The most important attribute, at least for me, is reducing

line memory.

8-)

The memory reduction is the big one for me too! I have noticed a little more distance on my casts as well!

I have tried 3 of them, I use Trilene Xl mono  now, and find all these conditioners to be a waste of time and money

I am listening.

Personally was never too hot about adding stuff to my line, it took me so long to find a few types I liked to have those discontinued (Gamakatsu line) and now that I have found two more GREAT lines (evolution and gamma) I am reluctant to mess them up with greasy grimy goop on my line...

However, I am in this to LEARN and if there is a better way then my ears are open  :;)

What does it do, for a spinning reel setup, that good quality line wont? I dont have line twist, or casting distance troubles, or coiling troubles, so what does the product offer if I already have found the cure to those? (IMO the cure is a good reel with 10bb+ and keep the line roller oiled well, fuji NGC guide concept on the rod, and quality low memory co-polys)

JC

I have tried 3 of them, I use Trilene Xl mono now, and find all these conditioners to be a waste of time and money

Wow, I agree! Really, they do nothing for me.

Listen to R.W. and others re: KVD line conditioner. All mono or copoly retains some line memory and floro even more. A small bottle goes a long way. You don't have to apply it every time out. It will allow you to use a very abrasion resistant and strong line that normally may not be the best casting line and it will become more manageable like a limp line. I also use Yozuri Ultrasoft. Anotherwards, you get all the benefits of the best of different lines. Fly fisherman have used line conditioners for years for increased casting distance... same principle. It even works on braid. I think a bottle was $7.95 or so. The longer line sits on a spool, the more memory it retains. The smaller the spool... like ultralight spinning reels, the worse it is also. Use it once and you will be sold. It doesn't leave the line greasy or sticky. Good stuff... try it.

Well now, I can only assume that the negative comments are

from guys that have never actually used KVD Line & Lure Conditioner.

EVERYONE I know that has ever tried it, loves it! I have been

using the conditioner for more than two years and HIGHLY

recommend this product to you.

8-)

KVD!!  I could not believe how much farther my casts were and how the line laid down.  Put it on the night before.  Amazing stuff.

Agreed, KVD Line and Lure is pretty good stuff

It helps remove memory so you can use almost all of the line on the spool.  ;)

8-)

Umm.. I have a bottle. I've used it multiple times, appyling it the night before, through the cloth, directly on the spool and 15 minutes before. I cannot tell a difference. I wish I could get my $8.00 back. If you pay for shipping I will send you my personally signed bottle. I have no use for it.

I used KVD last fall and liked it ok. In December I added it to the 6# P-line CXX on a spinning reel. Then didn't pick up that reel again for a few months.

I suffered several break-offs on that first trip out, usually on the hookset. I backed off the drag and still broke off. I was able to break the line with my bare hands. The 6# CXX which was normally so strong, turned brittle.

I buy P-line CXX in large spools and had no other problems with that spool.

I was going to post this at the time, but I didn't want to tarnish a product that so many on this site swore by. Maybe leaving the KVD on the reel over a period of months was a bad idea? Or maybe there was another reason the line on that particular reel went bad.  

Either way, I stopped using it and haven't looked back.

I used KVD last fall and liked it ok. In December I added it to the 6# P-line CXX on a spinning reel. Then didn't pick up that reel again for a few months.

I suffered several break-offs on that first trip out, usually on the hookset. I backed off the drag and still broke off. I was able to break the line with my bare hands. The 6# CXX which was normally so strong, turned brittle.

I was going to post this at the time, but I didn't want to tarnish a product that so many on this site swore by. Maybe leaving the KVD on the reel over a period of months was a bad idea? Or maybe there was another reason the line on that particular reel went bad.

I really think something else got to that reel while in storage.  I also buy bulk spools, and pretreat them with KVD.  At least one spool is almost a year old, and I haven't had ANY issues like you describe.

Is it possible it got warm, or was exposed to sun light?  I don't doubt you, it just sounds really weird to me.

I really think something else got to that reel while in storage. I also buy bulk spools, and pretreat them with KVD. At least one spool is almost a year old, and I haven't had ANY issues like you describe.

Is it possible it got warm, or was exposed to sun light? I don't doubt you, it just sounds really weird to me.

I went back and forth about posting this. It's tough to make a blanket judgement over one bad experience.

But I guess I was curious if I was alone on this.

I put the KVD on heavy, spraying it on the spool as I added line, as well as soaking a cloth and running the line through the cloth. Maybe I over did it...or maybe something else is to blame.

I store my rods in the back of the garage, no heat in the winter, no sun.

8-)

Umm.. I have a bottle. I've used it multiple times, appyling it the night before, through the cloth, directly on the spool and 15 minutes before. I cannot tell a difference. I wish I could get my $8.00 back. If you pay for shipping I will send you my personally signed bottle. I have no use for it.

x2...junk didnt do nuttin but make my wallet a little lighter,all the hype is in your heads the thoughts that KVD uses it and swears by it has gotten to you haha,its like jordan and gatorade...in the end its still colored water.just buy quality line and avoid the problems and this stuff.

8-)

I used it Roadwarrior, I do not want to give a sponsor negative ink here, basically I find them all, much to do about nothing. I am not trying to hit Bismark North Dakota, casting From PA. A good quality Mono like Trielene, or several others really doesn't benefit to justify cost and time for any of the 3 line conditioners I have tried

Memory is an issue for me not my line ;)

And you should know me better by now, I never will voice a review on something I have not used.

I really think something else got to that reel while in storage. I also buy bulk spools, and pretreat them with KVD. At least one spool is almost a year old, and I haven't had ANY issues like you describe.

Is it possible it got warm, or was exposed to sun light? I don't doubt you, it just sounds really weird to me.

I went back and forth about posting this. It's tough to make a blanket judgement over one bad experience.

But I guess I was curious if I was alone on this.

I put the KVD on heavy, spraying it on the spool as I added line, as well as soaking a cloth and running the line through the cloth. Maybe I over did it...or maybe something else is to blame.

I store my rods in the back of the garage, no heat in the winter, no sun.

I hear you, and I also know that you would be very careful about that. Like I said, it only surprised me, one because it came from you, and two, it was the complete opposite.

For kicks, grab a $7 filler spool, pretreat it with any KVD you have left, and toss it in your garage for six months. Try the line, and report back.

To all you guys that can't tell a difference, or think its all hype - you are crazy. Ok, maybe not all of you, but Muddy certainly is, LOL.

(Just kidding, bro!)

Seriously, I know what you mean. There are things that I can't tell the difference, or don't even care about. Its like that with fluorocarbon. Everyone wants their line to be like fresh Trilene XL, and then wonder why it breaks so easily. Personally, I don't really care how it handles, or casts. I don't want it to break.

Look at all the people that use Yo-Zuri or P-Line, and love it. There are always a ton that say its junk, even one that said it breaks in your hands!

I know I can't stand using a reel not treated with KVD now. The stuff literally makes the "tougher to manage" lines much more manageable. In winter freezing conditions, it really improved the performance of porous mono, Suffix Siege in my case, by displacing water so well, the the line resisted freezing. It actually did a better job than Reel Magic, as long as the spool was pre treated heavily the night before.

Reel Magic ( now called Real Magic?) was one of the other products I tried. It is great for cleaning reels, lure bodies and gunk off the depth finder though 8-)

The other 2 were the KVD product and something from Berkley, I didn't see any real improvement , I actually didn't have any problems that needed improvement , since I moved to the XL. I tried it because a member here gave me some to use,sorry I do not see the need for this or fancy fishing clothing either ;D

I bought some KVD line conditioner for the first time this Spring. I do notice a difference in line memory that makes it worth the price for me. I have used it on the following lines so far: Suffix Elite mono, Suffix Siege mono, Yo Zuri Ultra Soft, and the Cabela's and Trilene fluorocarbon lines. I have not tried it on my Suffix braid because braid obviously doesn't suffer from line memory.

When I first bought the product I sprayed it on a cloth and ran the line through it while installing the line. It is my opinion that this is useless. I don't think enough of the product is distributed on the line using this method. I noticed little or no difference in the line. I found that applying it in the following manner works best for me. Make the longest cast you can,and spray the conditioner on the spooled line. Then start reeling in. Spray a little more on the spooled line after you have reeled it halfway in. Then make a final tiny spray when you have reeled it completely in. After doing this, I only have to make a tiny spray now and then and my line is more manageable.

I have tried 3 of them, I use Trilene Xl mono now, and find all these conditioners to be a waste of time and money

Well, Trilene XL (extra limp) mono will likely gain some of the least benefit from a line conditioner.  The line is specifically manufactured to not suffer from some of the main issues that a line conditioner will help with.  Someone using a much stiffer line like flouro, co-poly, etc will likely be able to notice the difference.

KVD on my 15 lb Trilene Big Game is very good.  KVD on my 6 lb Trilene XL doesn't seem to do as much.  To me that is unsurprising as the two different lines have two distinctly different properties and will likely benefit differently from the line conditioner.

Jaym137 stated:

It even works on braid.

The link for the KVD conditioner also makes this claim.  What benefits do you all notice when using it on braid . . . . easier casting, fewer backlashes, etc?  

I'm usually flipping and pitching heavy cover with braid so I don't know if I would notice any benefit.  

8-)

As they say, unfortunately you can't please everyone. We are sorry some of you are not finding value in Line & Lure. You can get your money back. There is a, no questions asked money back guarantee on Line & Lure. Take it back to the store where you bought it or mail it to the factory with your receipt and your info. That's all it takes.

Jameson, as a stripper fisherman you will really enjoy what Line & Lure does in saltwater. It is the best anti-corrosive and dirt repellant out there. Your line will act better (even braid) and your gear will be protected from salt and sand. Clean up will be a breeze.

Hope this helps,

Rob