Sign in to follow this  
NewAngler

whats more important? a good reel or a good rod?

i ran over my good set up about a month ago with my car. i'm dead *** broke and my anniversery is coming up and wanted to know which is more important to have? money is tight, and i truly dont want to spend more than $100, so my question is:

if you had UP TO $100 to spend on a rod, or a reel, and paired with a decent >$50 opposite.

if you have old stuff you wouldnt mind getting rid of for around this, please PM. NOTE:i am not asking to freebies: i will pay.

IMO, it depends on what you are using it for. If you will mainly fish contact lures such as jigs, t-rigs etc where sensitivity is a must, than you really do want the best rod you can afford.

Since a reel is a mechanical device with many moving parts, some of which, the drag for instance, are critical, I'd put my priority on the reel.

The best rod in the world is worthless if teamed with a troublesome reel.

A rod will be pretty much consistant.  It may not be as light, or be as sensitive, but it will perform the same, under the same conditions.

A troublesome reel will not.

If money is tight, I'd be looking for a spinning setup and not a baitcaster. You'll get better performance out of a spinning reel in the $50-$60 range than a similarly priced baitcaster IMHO, which would leave you more money to put into the rod.

I've never used either one, but I believe $150 would get you a Pflueger President and a St. Croix Mojo spinning rod. Good looking reliable gear that gets pretty good reviews. Spool it up with the 30# braid of your choice and you'd be ready for just about anything.

If you are talking a spinning outfit then I'd go with the rod. If it is a baitcaster question I think a lot is your skill level. If your skill level is high I'd still go with the rod but if the bait caster skill level is average to low then I'd go with the reel.

Both the above are affected by what you want to do with the rig!

None of the above. Take that $100 and spend it on your wife. That's just me.  Now if this $100 is on top of the $$ you have allotted for your anniversary, then if it's a technique that demands sensitivity, spend more on the rod.

If not, then put more on the reel.  I think you can get more spinning reel for the buck than a casting reel. For example, a $79 sahara is a whole lot of reel for the money but a $79 baitcaster, forget it for an LP.

rod.

all the way.

HEY: Spend the 100 on your wife the

PM MEMBER SHARKBITE; your rod and reel is packaged all he needs is your Address to send it to you 8-)

Depends on what you're using it for, like others have said. Crankbaits/spinnerbaits = Reel. Worms, jigs = Rod.

Also, the advice about your wife was right on!

IMO, it depends on what you are using it for. If you will mainly fish contact lures such as jigs, t-rigs etc where sensitivity is a must, than you really do want the best rod you can afford.

^What he said

One more thought, rod vs. reel.

How many casts do you make per fish hooked, on average?

Which will you notice more on the retrieve, the feel of the rod, or the feel of the reel?

HEY: Spend the 100 on your wife the

PM MEMBER SHARKBITE; your rod and reel is packaged all he needs is your Address to send it to you 8-)

Yes PM sent Mooks

I would rather have a nice rod, especially for fishing worms, jigs, etc. where feeling the pickup is important.  You can get a decent Bass Pro Shops reel for $50 or so that will last you a few years.  They won't last as long as a more expensive reel but they will do.

The ROD !

I can put a $99 (or less) reel on either my steez or loomis glx rods and it would be awesome but if I put my steez or shimano core 50 reels on a $99 (or less) rod it would just be ok (or so so).

Personally, I think the rod is a tad more important but a good reel really completes the package and makes the setup very enjoyable.

I have a different take. The rod is more important for "catching",

but the reel is what makes "fishing" fun! Trouble free casting ,

smooth retrieve and a drag you can always depend on is the

ticket. On average, reels are 2/3 the cost of my combinations.

8-)

I have a different take. The rod is more important for "catching",

but the reel is what makes "fishing" fun! Trouble free casting ,

smooth retrieve and a drag you can always depend on is the

ticket. On average, reels are 2/3 the cost of my combinations.

8-)

Thats an excellent point RW, if it doesn't feel good in your hand and function properly the fishing experience will not be fun no matter what the rod.  However, a good rod is hard to beat. 8-)

Wow: this kid is struggeling to put a 100 bucks together and we have folks talking Steetz and Loomis, a big help to this young man :-?

Wow: this kid is struggeling to put a 100 bucks together and we have folks talking Steetz and Loomis, a big help to this young man

x2.

Don't understand it either, but you know what happens when 'brands' are mentioned................

Wow: this kid is struggeling to put a 100 bucks together and we have folks talking Steetz and Loomis, a big help to this young man :-?

The question is "What's more important, rod or reel?"

Steezy was illustrating the point, that's all. If the question

were "What should I get for $100?" we have a few current

threads running, but my standard answer is ALWAYS:

Buy a house brand combination, ON SALE, from one of

the major retailers. My suggestion is to buy the best reel and

whatever rod comes with it. For an "all-around" set-up, that

would be 6 1/2' or 7' Medium Power/ Fast Action rod, baitcasting

or spinning rig.

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1250565409

8-)

Wasn't directed yur way. The young man has a rod and reel out in this mornings mail all is good in the hood 8-)

NewAngler, I have a deal for you.

I have a BPS Rick Clunn model rod. 7' Medium, worm/dropshot casting rod. And a Energy Pt reel. 6.3:1 2007 year model.

I don't use either one.

Send me 30 bucks to cover the shipping costs, and they're yours.

The only hangup will be my work schedule. I'm very busy right now, and may not be able to get to the post office until next weekend.