Sign in to follow this  
s13john

help me pick a new baitcaster

so i need a new reel and well their are alot of good choices out their and yall have some good opinions. its going on a 6.9 mh carrot.

thanks ...

john :D;)

BPS Pro Qualifier, Pflueger Patriarch or President, Abu Revo SX, Used  Diawa TDS (my favorite of that list)

Others are beyond the point of diminishing returns. A bunch more $$ for not a bunch more performance.

And FWIW if strictly performance is all you are after the BPS reels, when on sale are an unbeatable value.

For $99 the BPS Pro Qualifier is a great reel. That would be my choice.

If the E7 is in good shape go for it but remember, it is a high speed reel.

Take it to a local reel repair person or send it to the Reel Mechanic to have it tuned up before you use it.

If you want to go with a new reel, any of those you are considering will be fine.  :D

BPS has a lot of good reels with the same features. Extreme or Pro Qualifier

The Curado E7 is a fine reel - they pop up for sale in the flea market for around $135 used in great shape from time to time.  Unless you're looking for a crankbait reel, I'd go with the Curado. 

do you have anyplace to go handle these reels?

I would go with either the Quantum Catalyst or the Cabelas Prodigy(which I believe is on sale for around $70) it's made by Daiwa for Cabelas.

I own the Prodigy and its a pretty good reel for the price point and even better on sale and kinda like the BPS reel the others are talking about.

The Curado E7 is a fine reel - they pop up for sale in the flea market for around $135 used in great shape from time to time. Unless you're looking for a crankbait reel, I'd go with the Curado.

This is my choice, too. The Curado 200E7 compares

favorably with much more expensive Shimano models.

"Smooth, strong, silent and reliant"

8-)

Cabelas Prodigy round reel is on sale for less than $80. BPS Extremes are usually on sale too. I have had good luck with both.

I have 2 Citica 200E's and you can't go wrong with them, but I just bought and Catalyst and it's sweet. Hate to admit it, but I like it a little better than the Citicas. Alright, RW, let me have it!! ;D

yah i have handled all of them at one time or another and i have a revo s. but its hard to know how they will fish just by playin with them. i think ive narrowed it down to the e7 or catylist or the revo...... so im still on ground zero... unless someone makes a tempting offer ;D ;D

Its not on the list but for that size reel, Core 100.

Theres a good deal on one in the flea market.

Dude, that is almost twice as much as the reels listed in his poll.

It's a great deal, dont get me wrong, but its waaay out there compared to what he is looking for.

I wish i had $240 Steezy...lol

My pick was curado E7...You really are not going to find a better reel in that price range.They can be had new for under $150 if you look hard enough.

If you have a Gander Mountain around you and you are willing to go early on Black Friday, they are supposed to have the Revo STX on sale for $99.

That is a really, really good deal.

yep thieirs one in richmond... anyway to find out if their gunna be 99 bux for sure

I saw the Black Friday ad before it was removed from public view.

Keep watching the ads and it will eventually be up.  I would go and make friends with the guys in the fishing department and see how many they have on hand.

If you have a Gander Mountain around you and you are willing to go early on Black Friday, they are supposed to have the Revo STX on sale for $99.

That is a really, really good deal.

:D That is a good deal.... I just got an STX from TW for $135, but than again there are no Gander Mountains up here.