Jump to content
Bigs

How much is import tax on reels shipped from Japan?

Recommended Posts

Im bidding on some high end japanese reels on ebay but have no clue what the import tax is once they arrive in the USA. And I tried googling it and couldnt find anything. The reels are gonna end up being somewhere between 250-325 or so. Can someone help me out before I overspend please. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be included in your final price through eBay.  Bought a Diawa Alpha 103 a little while back without anything extra on price and shipping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too have bought several reels from japan and not had to pay anything but shipping and price of the reel. I assume it is included with the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not included in the price. If it gets stopped at customs you will have a bill to pay before it's left with you. It also depends how the seller ships it on what your chances are of it getting stopped. It depends on the cost of the item as to the duty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may or you may not have to pay import taxes, it depends, the customs at the USPS do kinda like a lottery with packages coming from overseas, after X number of packages have crossed the line they pick one that will pay the taxes, also it depends on how the item is labeled when shipped ( ex: gift or sample ) and for how much it was invoiced.

I 've been purchasing import tackle for several years, shipped either to the US or to Mexico, not once I 've paid taxes.

When you can bet shure for import taxes is when the item is shipped via a shipping company like UPS or FEDEX or DHL, when I happen to order and the merchandise is shipped by that mean I always have to pay import taxes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You may or you may not have to pay import taxes, it depends, the customs at the USPS do kinda like a lottery with packages coming from overseas, after X number of packages have crossed the line they pick one that will pay the taxes, also it depends on how the item is labeled when shipped ( ex: gift or sample ) and for how much it was invoiced.

I 've been purchasing import tackle for several years, shipped either to the US or to Mexico, not once I 've paid taxes.

When you can bet shure for import taxes is when the item is shipped via a shipping company like UPS or FEDEX or DHL, when I happen to order and the merchandise is shipped by that mean I always have to pay import taxes.

I was wondering why when I bought my Alpha that an invoice was taped to the box that stated the value of the reel was $50 US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run my side business through ebay, if they are selling from another country in the american market all taxes are considered.  Only yahoo auction may have complications. They are just sending you a package most likely so it would be like receiving a gift from someone.  Usually large boxes or if you are receiving a large shipment of something they will usually import tax you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well hopefully I will luck out and pay nothing. I just won an auction on a daiwa orange pixy. I'd hate to have a hefty tax added on what I already paid. Bad enough I have to pay 18 bux shipping for a reel. I've shipped reels thruout the usa and its never more then 5 bux.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

any updates? Looking to buy a reel for about 150 (Chronarch ci4+) from japan shipping says 22$. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've bought several reels, both new and used, from Japan, through ebay and direct from websites, and never paid a tax.  Of course shipping is going to be more expensive.  About $20 seems to be the going rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2009 at 11:16 PM, Bigs said:

well hopefully I will luck out and pay nothing. I just won an auction on a daiwa orange pixy. I'd hate to have a hefty tax added on what I already paid. Bad enough I have to pay 18 bux shipping for a reel. I've shipped reels thruout the usa and its never more then 5 bux.

Man, there are some real steals on Pixy's on ebay right now.  A Silver Micah for $95, and a PX68L for $130.  They may be a bit older technology, but still some SWEET reels!  One of these days I'm gonna pull the trigger on an Airy Red left-handed one.  Beautiful.  I like the orange, too, but my Sol has that color covered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a lot of stuff from japan, so far this week from plat and https://www.ichibantackle.com .  I had a few from ebay last week and have yet to be stopped for tax.  Just luck of the draw i would guess... I have not spent over 300 dollars at one time if that matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your local carrier delivers it, then you wont get taxed. if a 3rd party company (fedex, ups, dhl) sends it, you will get taxed. One way to avoid getting taxed is to send your package by suing either EMS, SAL, or Airmail. Each of these carries has restrictions on sizing, and none will deliver goods over 1.5m long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bigturtle said:

If your local carrier delivers it, then you wont get taxed. if a 3rd party company (fedex, ups, dhl) sends it, you will get taxed. One way to avoid getting taxed is to send your package by suing either EMS, SAL, or Airmail. Each of these carries has restrictions on sizing, and none will deliver goods over 1.5m long.

That’s not always true. I’ve ordered several rods from yahoo japan and never paid any fees other than the ridiculous shipping charges. They all have came by way of FedEx since they exceed size restrictions for other shipping companies. The last rod I got was a Megabass X7 and the shipping was $157. Luckily I won the auction for so cheap that it was still a steal on it even after shipping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rippin-lips said:

That’s not always true. I’ve ordered several rods from yahoo japan and never paid any fees other than the ridiculous shipping charges. They all have came by way of FedEx since they exceed size restrictions for other shipping companies. The last rod I got was a Megabass X7 and the shipping was $157. 

I got a X7 and my shipping was $68CAD, and I paid $82CAD in tax and surcharge, maybe yours was just bundled together. Theres no way the shipping itself was $157

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Quarry Man said:

any updates? Looking to buy a reel for about 150 (Chronarch ci4+) from japan shipping says 22$. Thanks

This thread is over 8 years old...

 

For what it's worth, I've bought probably around 10 reels from Japan and I've never had to pay any import taxes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have bought a few rods and reels from Japan and piles of junk direct from china and never had to pay any tax or tariff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2009 at 6:53 PM, b.Lee said:

I run my side business through ebay, if they are selling from another country in the american market all taxes are considered.  Only yahoo auction may have complications. They are just sending you a package most likely so it would be like receiving a gift from someone.  Usually large boxes or if you are receiving a large shipment of something they will usually import tax you.

Ah, no. Its not like receiving a gift. Go to the customs website for what the letter of the law says. In practice though, on most international transactions, duties are not collected, much like sales tax for interstate commerce, but that's a different can of worms. The $ amount on which duty is incurred was recently increased for many items, again check the custom website, its all in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bigturtle said:

I got a X7 and my shipping was $68CAD, and I paid $82CAD in tax and surcharge, maybe yours was just bundled together. Theres no way the shipping itself was $157

My friends shipping was $175 on his rod. Unfortunately, the proxy service I used can charge you whatever they want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, rippin-lips said:

My friends shipping was $175 on his rod. Unfortunately, the proxy service I used can charge you whatever they want. 

Holy cow, thats insane, but that probably has surcharges and taxes already added to it. I shipped my F5.1/2-70X7 in a tube via FedEX and my initial payment was very low, and i got hit with the rest of the charges after delivery. I know very rarely DHL doesnt charge you tax, as iv ordered reels off of digitaka a few times and only got charged 2/4 times. All worth about the same, with same size packaging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×