Sign in to follow this  
stalking coyote

Reviews and help wanted... What is the best shallow crankbait rod & reel setup?

I'm looking to get a pair of new crankbait rod & reel outfits set up for the sole purpose of fishing shallow running crankbaits. One bait cast and one spinning outfit. Most of the baits will be 1/4 oz - 3/8 oz in size (mostly 1/4 oz). I'm looking to get one bait cast outfit and one spinning outfit. I currently have several Abu Garcia Revo Winch's and love this reel for deep cranking; however, as most know this reel performs less than desirable on lighter weight cranks. I'm looking for some reviews and suggestions on the possible choices out there for shallow running crankbaits and lighter lures. I've considered the Diawa Zillion TDZLN 100PA and the Shimano Curado 200E5; however, I've never fished either reel and would like some reviews or other suggestions. What do you like about your favorite set up and why?

In regards to rod selections I've been looking at the regular GLoomis crankbait rod line along with the new Deep Flex line... any thoughts? give me your reviews and suggestions about what is working for you and why? Looking for specific model numbers that has worked best for you on shallow running crankbaits and lighter lures.

Most any reel will cover shallow cranks, but I finally got a Daiwa Sol and love it. This reel will cast light lures like a dream, I have only caught two fish on it because of the weather, but it is flawless. I am using it for soft plastics and light cranks as well, but it especially does well with small shallow cranks. It would be perfect for the application you want, and the 5.8:1 gear ratio is excellent for cranking. I have used a Curado, and the Sol is far superior. Price plays into this as well, but a Zillion is even more expensive.

I too use a Sol for shallow crank baits.  Mine is paired with a 6'10''MH Carrot Stix Gold and I have never felt a set-up like it, balances great, light and sensitive.  The rod lacks the durability in components.  The Sol can handle just about anything with trebles, I use it for shallow-mid cranks, topwater, and jerkbaits.  Casts light baits well, casts heavier baits even better.  I fish the Owner Cultiva Rip'n Minnow 70sp quiet a bit, it weighs 1/5oz and the Sol casts it wonderfully.  I also have a Curado E5 that I use for deep cranks.  I love both but I prefer the Sol for smaller baits.

If you have $$$ to burn, I would recommend what I use, a Steez 103SHA reel and a Steez Fle-X-lite STZ651MLRBA-FL 6'5" ML Reaction crankbait rod.  Its a killer setup.  8-)

I use a Daiwa sol paired with a G Loomis CBR 843 crank bait rod. Awesome setup!!  You can't go wrong with either.

There is only one Sol baitcaster.

I really like the Loomis MBR 782 GLX paired with a tuned up Chronarch 50mg for smaller shallow cranks. It also makes a sweet jerkbait and smaller topwater combo as well. I like a little bit "stiffer" rod for cranking and the CBR 783 just feels a bit too whippy for my preferences. If you prefer a longer rod, the MBR 842 GLX is also a great rod for the same purposes.

A great small crankbait spinning rod that is often overlooked is the Shimano Crucial CRS-C68M. It's an incredible "bandit 200" rod that works very well with a vareity of small crankbaits. On the spinning reel, there are many great options. As with all tackle decisions, the budget is most often the first consideration!

There is only one Sol baitcaster.

I thought so... but was just checking because I've been looking online at BPS, Cabela's, and Gander Mountain and couldn't find one listed... finally did find them listed at TW...

Anyone had a chance to use the GLoomis Deep Flex yet?

Here are three I fish:

St. Croix AVC70MM/ Shimano Metanium

St. Croix AVC66MF/ Shimano Scorpion

G. Loomis PR844C/ Core 50MG7

The Curado CU200E7 is another suggestion

and more versatile. You don't really need

the E5 for shallow cranks. The CH50MG,

Core 100 or 50MG and Curado will compliment

most rods.

8-)

Everyone has the favorite technique. This influences rod/reel decisions of course. Some can justify the cost of the best there is for everything they fish. Some can't.

With that said, I think a BPS crankin' stick-7'M and a Revo S with 5.4.1 gears would serve the purpose well. Not expensive at all, and BOTH get good reviews.

Since I'm one who can't afford, or justify the best for every technique, I prefer to buy the best I can afford for slow moving contact baits such as jigs/worms.

I use a 7' Mod/Mod custom crankin' rod which uses Lamiglass blanks. Love it. Will be building 2 more in the next month.

I pair that with either a Citica E or a Citica Bantam.

I had the Steez 6'5" JDM Blitz and just sold it.  I would recommend the Megabass F4-610GT3 Shiryu  Purple Dragon paired with a Shimano Calcutta DC100. 

For shallow cranking I use a G Loomis CBR855 and a Daiwa Sol.  You asked about the Deep Flex rods.  I have one, but it is the CBR896DF, which is "intended" for deep diving crankbaits.  I have never cast this rod yet, but it is so moderate in action that I bet it would load up when casting a shallow running crankbait.  I have this rod paired up with a Revo Winch.

Road Warrior... or anyone else... have you tried the Shimano Antares Ar or the Shimano Aldebaran MG7?

No, but the JDM reels I have seem to preform

just like the domestic counterparts based on my

limited experience (Metanium and Scorpion).

8-)

For any cranks I like my Revo Winch.  Some don't think that it does well with lighter 1/4 oz. baits because of its larger line capacity causing less casting distance.  But I do okay with it.