Sign in to follow this  
bmad

ML rods for bass fishing

I have a cheap meadium light lightning rod that I got for a creek rod. Turns out , I really love the action of this little $15 rod, and I use it at the lake often. I use it for soft plastics w/a 1/0 hook and for shadraps,ect. I have much more expensive rods, but this is the only ML I have ever used. I'm looking for a higher quality rod, w/a comparable action. Looking to spend around 100-150

Anyone use a ml rod for bass?

I do - I use it for small cranks and in-line spinners, sometimes small soft plastics.

My rod is below your price range so I didn't mention it earlier - it's a BPS Extreme ML-F with a BPS ProLite reel w/8lb mono.

Have you used this rod RW? If so , what techniques do you use it for?

This was my first smallmouth rod. Now I use it

for crappie, white bass and stocker trout. It would

be fun for smallmouth, but on the Tennessee

River we catch a lot of HUGE trash fish. I need

a rod that handles everything, big and small.

I like the rod a lot! Mine is matched up

with a Stella 1000FA.

8-)

Have you used this rod RW? If so , what techniques do you use it for?

This was my first smallmouth rod. Now I use it

for crappie, white bass and stocker trout. It would

be fun for smallmouth, but on the Tennessee

River we catch a lot of HUGE trash fish. I need

a rod that handles everything, big and small.

I like the rod a lot! Mine is matched up

with a Stella 1000FA.

8-)

RW, thats a sweet light weight combo, but not cheap!

That Stella 1000 is like a little slice of spinning heaven.

I just got one mostly for shaky heads but will also use it for drop shots, tubes, or anything light.

I just got one mostly for shaky heads but will also use it for drop shots, tubes, or anything light.

weightless plastics, small shallow cranks & small spinnerbaits

i use an avid 6'9" mlxf for 3" craws on small jig heads, small weightless plastics, 1/8oz bitsy bugs

you could use your other more moderate rod for cranks...

if you want another fast action, id go with the avid mentioned above, AVS66MLF. I use the LES version for light tubes, grubs, cranks, small spinners and inline spinners .

I use a light Hurricane Redbone with a supreme 8025 spinning reel, handles bass with ease, my favorite bass outfit.

I just picked up a Dobyn's DX742SF Chamion Extreme rod which is 7'4" to primarily use to throw open hook baits like jighead tube & grub combo's, flickshake worms and wacky rig Senko's on 6lb florocarbon. The last couple of years prior to that I was using a 6'9" Loomis bronzeback that performed well for this application, the reason I got the 7'4" Dobyn's is I wanted a longer rod to increase casting distance and Loomis didn't offer a 7'4" ML rod. No matter the brand you choose a ML rod is a terrific choice for finnesse fishing.

i use a light power rod for bass fishing. i throw some weightless worms , light shaky heads and cranks with it. fun stuff.

before that , i used a two piece UL rod for bass. super fluke jr's and size 3-7 rapalas were thrown. now its a panfish/crappie rod.

I use that exact rod RW listed and I absolutely love it as well. It's actually my primary rod with a Daiwa Exceler 2500 because I'm a poor college kid fishing in NJ where the bass don't get huge lol. I'm planning on buying a 6'6" MH Avid casting rod because I love the spinning one so much and I need something to match to my brand new Daiwa Viento ;D

BOSCO-GLBS-60ML.jpg

Oh baby ! :-*

Yabba, dabba, dooh !  :D

I have the StCroix Avid 7 spin MLF . Very nice and sensitive set up on either the 1000 or 2500 Shimano reels. I use it for drop shot and small finesse baits weights 1/4 and less. T rig light worms baby craws with light sharp hooks 6# test line. Excellent trout rod set up.

I love St. Croix' ML power spinning rods!

They're perfect for a "crossover" rod when I want to handle finesse bass baits, small cranks/jerks, and river smallies - as well as other species like marbleyes, crappie, trout...

I only have one right now, a PS70MLF, but I am looking into picking up a new AVS63MLXF within the next week or so...That particular rod is hard to find, but I think it will fit the bill perfectly for me - unless I convince myself to get a SR782 IMX.

I have an ALL Star Titanium 6'6" MLF spinning rod.  It's fantastic for topwaters.  However, last year I lost my biggest of the season (still pretty small :D ) fishing from the end of a boat dock.  It didn't have enough backbone to steer this guy away from a boat on the side...  He ended up getting caught up and breaking the line after a couple minutes of teasing me :)

(and I actually did go in the water to free him, but she got away on her own...)

ML is very handy for throwing smaller grubs, or even smaller cranks for bass. My favorite river Smallmouth rod is a 7' ML. Enough backbone for bigger fish, but still fun to catch "pounders" on.

I use a 7' ML Avid paired with 6lb fluorocarbon line. It's my favorite spinning rod. I use it for dropshotting, small jigs, small weightless plastics, light shaky heads, dragging tubes, split shot rigs, small jerkbaits and crankbaits. A pretty versatile rod, I would not recommend using it around heavy cover, but it has plenty of power for big fish in open water. 

All my casting rods are MH and above, and all my hooks are 4/0 and above. If I feel the need to go lighter it is with a spinning setup.

That rod is just too light for the stuff I fish.

Good luck.