Sign in to follow this  
roadwarrior

Jig Rods: A Difference Of Opinion

I use and recommend MH or H Power/ Fast Action. I was

shoocked to hear that others prefer a tip with more moderate

action. What's your take?

I usually fish jigs in heavy cover or deep water. Either way I want some backbone for hooksets and close quarters combat. MH at least....JMHO

Ronnie

Personally,  I don't care for a moderate action on any of my rods,  even crankbait rod.  I'm kind of partial to a fast act. for almost everything (jigs included).  However,  I'm starting to find some benefits to Ex. Fast actions in certain situations.

Worms and jigs need a quick reaction by the fisherman therefore a faster act. would seem appropriate in my mind.   

I'd be interested to hear the rationale for a slower action in a jigging rod. If you're not hooking up, it probably has more to do hook choice, bait selection, rigging.... 

MH or Hvy depending on cover and a F or XF action is my recommendation.

If you are gonna put a heavy wire hook through bone....mh/fast or H/xtra fast is best.

I'd be interested to hear the rationale for a slower action in a jigging rod. If you're not hooking up, it probably has more to do hook choice, bait selection, rigging....

I completely agree.  To me it makes no sense but I'm open to that opinion.

I prefer a MH-F or even XF for this application, as long as the tip section is soft enough to allow better casting performance.

Doesn't matter if you're fishing shallow or deep. If the rod will not load with the weight of the bait you're using, casting will be problematic.

For me there's nothing worse than the broomstick with guides that many people recommend.

I wouldn't use a moderate action rod for this application. I want a soft, castable tip that quickly turns into backbone. That implies a fast or extra fast action.

I prefer a MH-F or even XF for this application, as long as the tip section is soft enough to allow better casting performance.

Doesn't matter if you're fishing shallow or deep. If the rod will not load with the weight of the bait you're using, casting will be problematic.

For me there's nothing worse than the broomstick with guides that many people recommend.

I wouldn't use a moderate action rod for this application. I want a soft, castable tip that quickly turns into backbone. That implies a fast or extra fast action.

This is another good point. People may confuse a softer tip with a mod. action.

Another point of confusion is the difference between fast and extra-fast action. I've heard many people say an XF rod is more powerful than a fast rod.

A med-heavy power rod is a med-heavy power rod, regardless of action. With and XF action you simply get into the backbone, thus the power, of the rod quicker.

I'd be interested to hear the rationale for a slower action in a jigging rod.

I use a moderate or mod-fast taper for heavy, heavy cover.  I want the hookset and weight of the fish to load up the entire blank, not the tip and then the backbone.  I'm setting the hook and hoisting the fish up out of cover in one movement.

For anything else, I agree - a light weight, sensitive, mh/xf rod is pretty much what I want for a jig rod.

On the lakes I fish 2 jigs rods is an absolute must

One is for sparse grass, scattered brush/timber and is an Medium Heavy Extra Fast

The other is for matted grass, buck brush and is an Extra Heavy Extra Fast.

I use a moderate or mod-fast taper for heavy, heavy cover. I want the hookset and weight of the fish to load up the entire blank, not the tip and then the backbone. I'm setting the hook and hoisting the fish up out of cover in one movement.

For anything else, I agree - a light weight, sensitive, mh/xf rod is pretty much what I want for a jig rod.

Is your goal to protect the rod tip during on an aggressive hookset, or do you feel you have less control of the fish with a fast action rod?

The question revolves around your fishing style, the cover you fish, the baits you use, etc.  There's more than one correct answer.  If you're always fishing heavy grass, the answer would be different than if you're fishing a deep shell bed.  First, I want to GET BIT - then worry about the rest of it. To do that, I have to cast the jig accurately - and a MH rod with a soft but fast tip section does that best for me. I often fish a clear water lake where you have to stay back and pitch into wood cover. A softer tip section makes it a lot easier. If you're pitching 3/8 oz jigs into tea cups from 30 feet with a broomstick, more power to ya. I just can't do that and don't believe most other guys can either. I don't fish jigs with heavy wire hooks, so setting is not an issue.

The only reason I'm mentioning brand is because I went looking for a jig rod and this one was perfect for me...

Cumara 6'8'' Med.Hvy. X-Fast

Lighter cover/shallower water - MH/F rod that Alpster built for me.

Heavier cover/deeper water - 854 BCR

Flippin' - 7'6" XXH Mod Fast Carrot Stix

Jig rod ? action ---> F/XF definatley, power ? uhhhhh ..... it really depends upon weight of the jig/fishing technique don 't cha think ? Certainly I wouldn 't  go fishing jigs in the kinda of woody cover my everyday lake has with anything less than a MH, however I donýt think I would fish them 1/8 oz jigs I pour with anything higher than M power cuz the hook wire is as thin as a hair.

I use a moderate or mod-fast taper for heavy, heavy cover. I want the hookset and weight of the fish to load up the entire blank, not the tip and then the backbone. I'm setting the hook and hoisting the fish up out of cover in one movement.

Is your goal to protect the rod tip during on an aggressive hookset, or do you feel you have less control of the fish with a fast action rod?

Both, really. The hookset isn't really that aggressive - no more than a frog set, more of a flick.  Its the second half, or the "sling shot that fish out of there" that is.

And yes, slower action does equal more control of fish -- sometimes. Some of this stems from trout fishing in the winter. Those fish are much larger, and more powerful, and yet the big, slow action rod puts the screws to them.

I actually know fly anglers that use fast action rods that complain about it not being sporting with slower rods, LOL.

At any rate, that's just my preference for one type of fishing, heavy matted coontail. Often the coontail has zebra mussels growing on it - can you imagine? I want that fish up and outta that crap fast.

Both, really. The hookset isn't really that aggressive - no more than a frog set, more of a flick. Its the second half, or the "sling shot that fish out of there" that is.

And yes, slower action does equal more control of fish -- sometimes. Some of this stems from trout fishing in the winter. Those fish are much larger, and more powerful, and yet the big, slow action rod puts the screws to them.

I actually know fly anglers that use fast action rods that complain about it not being sporting with slower rods, LOL.

At any rate, that's just my preference for one type of fishing, heavy matted coontail. Often the coontail has zebra mussels growing on it - can you imagine? I want that fish up and outta that crap fast.

Eww, Jeebus!!  That's like fishing in floating razor wire...

Cayuga Lake, cough-cough.  :)

There is a video with Bub Tosh and the Irod as to why is certain situations this rod makes more sense. I think Franco touched on it, Here is the link.

http://www.***.com/video.html?pcode=IRGC711BPR

I own one and have fished it. Its quite impressive, but it is technique specific. This rod is for punching, but we also refer to those baits as inline jigs. Its all about the heavy cover.

That said I usually use a MH rod, either a Powell 7105 of a Powell 734. For deep jigs like a one ton I prefer the 804.