Sign in to follow this  
Lard_Bass

Favorite lure for milfoil / weed beds?

I am fishing a new lake and dealt with a ton of weed beds that I am not used to.  All along the shorelines to the middle of the bays.  Just curious to how everyone would attack this heavy cover especially during the morning bite.

If the weeds are on the surface try a weightless toad or other flapping topwater. I recommend the Zoom Horny Toad or Rage Tail Toad on an Owner Twist Lock 5/0 hook. A Rage Tail Space Monkey on an Owner Twist Lock 4/0 hook is killer.

If you have some clear water on top of the weeds, I'd try a wakebait, like the Ima Roumba or Jackall Cherry 0 Footer. Or a topwater like a Lucky Craft Sammy.

Heavy jig is my favorite for milfoil.  You aren't talking about "Tonka" are you??

I am talking Tonka.  I moved up here in the past year.  I used a topwater in the clear parts of the beds near the weedline and got some hits and tried a jig with a Fat Albert Twin Tail Grub but no strikes on that.  Also, tried flukes and senkos and no luck either.

Hydrilla, Milfoil, or Coontail Mossjig bite ;)

Bass located in these types of vegetation will be either held up in the thick mat or cursing along the edges; but in both locations the bass will be in close proximity to the bottom.

The bass along the edges will dart out taking prey making them easy victims for reaction lures.

The bass located in the mat will, depending on the depth dart upward to take prey on the surface; frogs, spoons, rats, or big snake like worms will produce.

Both the outer edges and mat can be bottom fished with Texas Rigs and Jig-N-Craws

My personal approach to fishing Hydrilla, Milfoil, or Coontail Moss starts by stopping; stopping my boat at least 2 times the length of my casting distance with a ½ oz Trap.

Working my way towards the mat I fan cast with a Rat-L-Trap towards the mat and parallel to the mat while looking for isolated patches of grass.

As the distance from the mat closes to where I can just reach the outer edge I'll switch to spinner baits, top water and a Texas rigs; I start targeting irregularities in the weed edge, bare spots, stumps, brush.

Down to Flipping distance its T-rigs and Jigs all the way ;)

When I saw you were from Mpls, I pretty much knew it was Tonka.  Other area lakes are infested with milfoil but Tonka's got it real bad and it's just not something we are used to up here.  It's kind of a jaw dropping encounter.  Consult your map, pay attention to structures covered by the milfoil.  That's kind of the trick....don't fish the milfoil, fish whats under it.  Know what I mean??   That lake is a love/hate situation for me.  Such fantastic fishing but so many hurdles involved.

Oh, and stay out of that crap.  I have seen guys hopelessly stuck in that stuff.

Try frogs, like the spro bronze eye and bronze eye popper. Work the edges with buzzbaits too. Also try bigger worms and lizards of at least 6" rigged with a pegged sinker of about an ounce in weight to punch through the thick mat.

only 3 things needed....a yop water frong,and i mod mine and hand make wire leaders with a buzz blade and then tie that infront of the frog for more commotion (stanley now makes the same version of what ive been using its called the buzzfrog or stanley buzzit something like that) a BIG topwater worm like 12" snake size  a D.N.R guy once told me when bass see snakes they dont whack it to eat it they whack it to kill it cause they feel threatened by it.and a zara spookalong the weedline and tweak the sppok what i do is drill a hole intop the size of a toothpick fill the lure with mineral oil and then shove gold,silver and red glitter in the hole put a toothpick with superglue in the hole to seal it then clear nailpolish to fill any tiny holes then shake it up sebill makes a lure like this thats 15-18 bucks the glitter makes other fish think its scales falling off an injured.dying fish.but frogs in my opinion or the most fun to fish with or pitch a jig n craw in the holes either way have fun.

....don't fish the milfoil, fish whats under it. Know what I mean??

Jeff, I think I know what you mean.  But to fish the structure underneath means I need something to punch through the milfoil.  So, are heavy jigs and T-rigs are the way to go?  

Yeah, I am having a love/hate relationship with Tonka at the moment.  I am going to head out with some buddies who know the lake better.  I studied the lake maps/contour changes and thought I had a good plan of attack until I found every area covered with weeds.  I have never seen anything like it.  Even the docks were ticking me off because they were infested with milfoil.    Lilypads are beginning to pop up so I expect this lake to look like one big swamp soon.

Yep.  HEAVY man.  Heavy jigs, rods, line....yes.   Look for deep rocks.  The rock/weed pattern is killer on this lake.  

I would first pick off the ones on the outer edges with a lip less crank early in the day. Then i would break out the flippin' stick with a soft plastic t-rigged and pitch to open holes, breaks in the cover etc. If it is calm and clear be very subtle in your approach!

Try topwater in the morning, and if it stays cloudy all day topwater might last all day.  If it gets sunny you might want to flip a beaver type bait in the open holes of the grass.

I fish a lake with a lot of milfoil, I use a weightless zoom fluke on a 2/0 or 3/0 hook, rigged weedless, I let it fall, and give it a lil jerk and the bass cant seem to stay away!

Rage Tail Shad, weightless 10" Anaconda, Cavitron Buzzbait, GYCB

Kreature, Swimming Senko, Fat Ika and the original Senko, 5" or 6".

Here's a story about the Kreature:

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1180909581

8-)

Oh yeah, I remember that Avid-day thread (where is he anyway?)

Like Catt in Texas, I too use a lot to vertical deliveries in Florida, where weed-punching weight is needed.

It's tough to beat a T-rigged trailer, but like any other presentation, the T-rig is not without flaws.

Flaw 1:

This would not apply to fishermen who work their lure using the reel rather than the rod.

Every time the rod is lowered the bullet sinker is allowed to drag the slack line below the lure, where it may be in harm's way

(particularly in brush).

Flaw 2:

During the time the sinker and lure are separated, all angler-imparted action may not reach the lure,

but some or all may be absorbed by the bullet sinker.

Since I flatly refuse to peg sinkers with a toothpick, I find myself using an Owner Sled Head Jig more-and-more. The screw-coil keeper provides a good grip on the trailer in the toughest of cover. And since the weight and hook is one fixed unit, the sled head jig behaves the same as a pegged bullet sinker. It'll work with the trailer of your choice, but I'm partial to the Gambler 5" Flapp'n Tail Worm (tough plastic, no appendages).

Roger

I fish a lake with a lot of milfoil, I use a weightless zoom fluke on a 2/0 or 3/0 hook, rigged weedless, I let it fall, and give it a lil jerk and the bass cant seem to stay away!

ToledoEF,

I did exactly the same thing but did not get a taker.  Flukes worked well when I lived out east but I am learning that the milfoil in Minn can run deep.  The beds start from the shoreline and the weedline can be 20-25 feet deep.  I have never seen anything like it.  Some locals including Jeff on this board told me that I am not getting deep enough with the fluke.  It works if the weedline is about 5-8 feet deep supposedly but not as effective in deeper water.  Just wanted to share what I am learning at the moment.

Buzzbaits would be a good choice in milfoil but they tend to snare up in the grass along with getting the junk wrapped around the blade. A bait I used with tremendous success back in the days when Lake of the Ozarks had tons of Milfoil in it was an old Uncle Bucks buzzer that BPS sells.

In heavy mat, these things cast like bullets to reach those far off holes in the matting. Keep the rod tip up. This bait will ride right over the top of the thickest of milfoil with getting itself all fouled up.