BassAssassin726

Fish Breaking The Surface?

So at my home lake i steady see fish jumping. But i cant ever catch them. Ill see ripples in the water or even sometimes see the whole fish jump out. Ill cast right to the spot but nothing. I assume theyre feeding on something on the top. Even using topwater lures i cant get em. Are they even bass? I know the lake has carp, brown trout, catfish, largemouth bass. No smallies though. Also sometimes i see bubbles coming to the surface. Is it fish producing those bubbles i see?

I'd love to hear responses to this as well.

It seems hard to believe that a) a fish can catch an insect in flight, and b ) that even if he could, he would expend more energy doing so than he would get from the food. Is jumping a fish's way of saying, "Isn't it great to be alive!"?

I will say that in general, a fish moves once it grabs a meal, so casting to the ripples may not be the best location. Plus, that particular fish is chowing down for the next few seconds or minutes.

If your lake has alot of carp, I would be willing to bet alot of the fish your seeing are carp. Especially the ones coming out of the water completely.

NGaHB

Yea i always hear that a fish wont go after a meal if the energy it uses is more than the energy itll get from the meal. So why would a fish spend all that energy to swim up and jump out just to eat an insect? I usually try and throw past the ripples or to the sides. I figure if theres fish breaking the surface hes probably not alone. Sometimes there will be tons of baitfish breaking the surface, i would think that theres gotta be bigger fish around. But there never is. Its really frustrating. Its a medium pressured lake.

So at my home lake i steady see fish jumping. But i cant ever catch them. Ill see ripples in the water or even sometimes see the whole fish jump out. Ill cast right to the spot but nothing. I assume theyre feeding on something on the top. Even using topwater lures i cant get em. Are they even bass? I know the lake has carp, brown trout, catfish, largemouth bass. No smallies though. Also sometimes i see bubbles coming to the surface. Is it fish producing those bubbles i see?

The bubbles are fish passing gas. :lol:

For the bait fish busting the surface try a spinner bait killed right in the middle of the swarm.

NGaHB

NGaHB is on point, great technique right there! Try a buzzbait as well. My how bass love a killed buzzbait in that situation.

Could be trout. Our fisheries just got stocked and they're always busting the surface, or going airborne this time of year here in the northeast.

Down here in VA it's usually carp jumping, a guy told me the carp are jumping to get more oxygen, I wouldn't know.

While it could be carp or many other species I have caught many surfacing bass by throwing to the spot. I respectfully disagree with fish moving after they feed. If the prey stays they will hang around. While these creatures make us look like dopes more often than we care to admit,they have a brain the size of a pea. I doubt very much that they can keep track of or evaluate the calories in a given meal. I think they continue to feed until the forage moves or we put them down.

Many years ago I was fishing the Ontario side of Rainy Lake when there was a huge mayfly hatch. I could not get a hit although I had a few swirls on a PopR. Never went fishing again without a fly rod and flies in the boat.

Carp and catfish will play and feed on the surface, making a lot of noise and splash.

Carp will not hit your bait and I have never caught a catfish after seeing them jump and splash around.

Bass usually will make a single hit on a small baitfish and you can see the baitfish jump or get hit out of the water.

Bass also "suck in" their prey so many times you will see and hear the "blop, bubbles and water vibrations" and that is all. You will probably have to look around to see where the hit is located.

THROW TO THE SPOTS WHERE YOU SEE THE BASS BREAKING THE SURFACE.

You may or may not be successful but there is a largemouth bass in the area.

I throw a wacky Senko if I have one rigged. Otherwise it is a crankbait or shaky head.

If in doubt, throw to the area in question and see what happens. :)

Right now Bass are targeting schooling shad, so YES these are bass! Throw something in the middle of the pile and hang on. Ideally you want to throw something that will get to the bottom, the big bass hang out and wait on the wounded shad the little bass leave behind. Keep throwing to the spot were you see the commotion and you might land a big one!

Yesterday, they were definitely bass in my local waters.

You should be able to determine the color of the jumping fish. Fish jump for a variety of reasons, bass jump to catch the prey they are chasing, it's usually momentum carrying them out of the water. Carp make a load water slapping jump, bass don't. Carp are light brown to golden color, LMB bass are green, trout silver. Watch closely.

Sammy's, Spooks, Splash-Its, Pop-R's work for surface feeding fall bass. If the splashes are reoccuring in the same area, there is a school of active fish in the area. Try a 1/2 oz structure spoon at various depths, they cast a long distance and most game fish will strike a spoon.

Tom

• Like 1

I agree with WRB try cotton Cordell spoon small version cast at the action see if they hit it on the fall if not jerk it a couple time no takers reel it in do it all over again always works for me