Sign in to follow this  
bknap

How To Become Fishing Gear Tester

I have always wondered how people get new baits and tackle then try them out for companies and give them feed back. I would be very interested in it, Im just not sure how to get started into it. if any of you guys could help me out id be interested !

Thanks,

Brandon

That would be sweet, but these companies probably get such feedback from their pros. Still, it couldn't hurt to contact the companies that you would want to do that for.

Yea, sorry to say but unless you are a "pro" its probably not going to happen unfortunately.

Earn your aeronautical, aerospace, civil or mechanical engineering degree and have a career in the tackle industry.

A Professional Engineering designation is a tremendous plus and will make you more marketable.

The pros design and try out the protypes. But they have to work with engineers to design the baits and to make adjustments.

You will have to know how to operate a computer that has programs that mimic the bait in the air and water. Macintosh computers do this extremely well.

You are talking about an industry that invests millions of dollars in research, design, advertising, packaging, payrolls for engineers and scientists and their assitants, benefit plans for everyone involved, pension plans, shipping, ICAST to introduce the new products, freebies given to the pros, percentage of sales to the pro hawking the products, square feet of research and warehouse space, areas for shipping, office space, telephone and copy machine costs, postage, sales people, computer web sites, computer programs, IT people and finally sales income.

The manufacturers of production baits don't fool around. They want people testing their products on various types of water at different times of the year. People they can count on and depend on to give them the feedback.

Small independent companies have lower overhead and once in a while they strike pay dirt, like Gary Yamamoto and his Senkos which he developed on his own and started selling them out west.

I was asked to test an interesting bait seveni years ago. It was a white plastic tube in the shape of a torpedo with a metal eye on the front to tie the line and a rubber skirt on the back. The two hooks were inside of the body and when a fish hit it the hooks would pop out and hook the fish. The bait was designed to be fished on top and through grass, pads and structure without getting hung up.

Needless to say I did not give it a good write up. It was a disaster. The hooks did not deploy; it was heave; and the white body with the two large beedy eyes did not make a good presentation. I have never seen that bait being marketed. I still have the protype somewhere in my collection but have never thrown it again.

Don't be discouraged. Contact the bait companies of your choice and ask them about their bait testing programs and if you can be involved. They will give you their hiring paramaters and you can then decide if you meet the criteria.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Although I am not a bait tester, I would say that a good command of the English language, both written and verbal, would be a bonus. Also, being able to give a speech, or presentation in front of a larger number of people should be mastered.

Mike