G_money

Cork Cleaning...(It's Been Discussed But I Also Have Adhd)

ha.

But no seriously. I've got some high dollar customs that I'm going to do a thorough cleaning, filling, sanding, and possibly sealing on...not sure on the sealing part yet.

So here we go: I know this has been on the forum before but I wasn't paying attention at the time.

I bought some Simple Green to clean the cork with

picked up some Elmers Wood Filler

I should have fine grit sand paper around here somewhere...how fine do I need to go?

The sealer is the part I forgot what people were using on cork...? And does it make your cork feel hard or slick? I'm trying to decide if I should seal it or not...

Thanks guys

Not sure how thorough you're planning on doing but a Magic Eraser makes dirty cork look like new again. 

• Like 1

Not sure how thorough you're planning on doing but a Magic Eraser makes dirty cork look like new again. 

I saw that stuff at the hardware store and thought about it, but didn't know how much use I would get out of the two sponges it comes with. and I had heard Simple Green mentioned before by a few people, so I bought it. Now I'm wondering if I should just try the majic eraser...

I don't want to get too aggressive with the cleaning and create pits in the cork.

I saw that stuff at the hardware store and thought about it, but didn't know how much use I would get out of the two sponges it comes with. and I had heard Simple Green mentioned before by a few people, so I bought it. Now I'm wondering if I should just try the majic eraser...

I don't want to get too aggressive with the cleaning and create pits in the cork.

You can get a pack of Wal Mart brand Magic Erasers for a couple bucks and one sponge will do a few rods as long as they aren't too dirty. 

Isopropyl Alcohol works for me. Didnt like the magic erasers because of the little sponge pieces that fall off and stick to the cork as you scrub. I have heard baby wipes do a good job too and smell kinda nice :D

• Like 1

Try the Magic Eraser first, it's probably all you need.

I clean my cork handles with dawn and an old tooth brush

magic eraser works like magic ( really )

Anyone that uses the Magic Eraser will likely never go back to any other method.  Seriously.

For sanding, 220g is fine.  Mask off and reels seats, winding checks, etc.

Seal with U-40 Cork Sealer.  One coat is plenty.

I haven't used the U-40 sealer, should I?

I use the magic eraser. Simple, easy, and makes them like new again. I used one pad for 9 rod handles the other day, rinse it out between rods, and it could keep going.

Anyone that uses the Magic Eraser will likely never go back to any other method.  Seriously.

For sanding, 220g is fine.  Mask off and reels seats, winding checks, etc.

Seal with U-40 Cork Sealer.  One coat is plenty.

X2 every time I clean my grip/s I re-seal. I re-clean about every two seasons.... :Victory:

I'd say two season's worth is pretty accurate.  This is a rod that sits out in the elements on my deck, or in my hand practically all season.  I sealed it new, about two years ago.

rod-L.jpg

Yup thats about right. Like to use denatured and a course cotton cloth, plus elbow grease.

Using that I don't change the shape or have to wait for it to dry.

It will lift most if not all of the U-40 but that's ok cause a jar last a good long time..... :Victory:

Tight Lines!  :fishing1:

X2

The Magic Eraser would have been good. Just had two tip tops replaced (today) on my Compres and it was suggested to me to clean the cork for longevity, etc.

Used low-odor mineral spirits to clean the cork. Worked great. Then applied coat of U-40 with a toothbrush. Soaked in as expected, quite pleased so far.

+ 1,000 on the Magic Eraser and U-40.

All you need.

Tom

Not to hi-jack a thread but, high end rods I recommend a good cleaning a couple times a season. If you stay on top of it it can be as easy as warm water and dish soap. Most people do maintenance on their reels, do it on your rods too! Do a once over on your guides. 5 minutes of prevention can prevent failure on the water.

I believe the color of the wood filler for cork is golden oak....I'll have to double check in the morning

I haven't used the U-40 sealer, should I?

Definitely! It reduces the dirt build up on cork between cleanings. Magic Eraser & U-40 once a season works for me. :)

magic eraser and u-40 is the ticket.  just one coat of the u-40 is all you need at a time.  any more will not soak in.

i actually cut the erasers into 1/3's to get the most out of each.  i could clean at least 2 rods with each 1/3.  they look brand new

U40 is cheap too, $7 shipped on eBay for 2oz, and that's enough to last a long time.

Does the U-40 make it slick or does it maintain the natural cork feel?  Definitely interested in getting some of this as a few of mine are in desperate need.

One coat just absorbs in the wood, and isn't slippery at all.

• Like 1

How long does the UV-40 last generally?

This is the first time I've cleaned my rods, so just curious if it is a seasonal or whenever they dirty up thing.\

Whoops, I think J Francho answered that already, sorry. About 2 seasons....

Edited by DarrenM

Rubbing alchohol and a stiff tooth brush makes natural and synthetic cork look like new. RU40 is a grip saver as others have already posted. Between hard scub cleanings I carry the little alchohol wipes like the nurse cleans your arm/butt with before a needle injection. A quick wipe gets fish slime and boat grime off every trip. They are very inexpensive and I use them for everything. JMHO

Ronnie