wordty

M or MH Cranking Rod

I mainly throw lighter crank baits in the 1.5 to 2.5 range and am interested in getting a cranking rod...probably will get the BPS Crankin' Stick on the spring classic since i have points / gift cards / and can do a rod trade in...how do you all decide on getting a M or MH?  I will get a 7 footer most likely.

I prefer mhm when fishing squarebills because I tend to fish them around cover. So I want the added power to get them out. 

• Like 1

Although MH is considered a better "all-around" cranking rod, for your intended use I would suggest Medium Power/ Moderate Action.

:fishing-026:

• Like 2

For shallow, go medium, big bill cranks, MH.

• Like 1

The answer is simple: if you can afford and carry several then ---> both. If you can only afford/carry one ---> MH.

One of the reasons why I sold a brand new Kistler Magnesium TS Crankbait rod was that M power rating. Great blank but not powerful enough to make it more versatile.

There are a few considerations, casting weight, cover and depth plus the vauge subjective way rods are labeled. Id start by looking at the lure weight range and pick something where the lure weight falls near the mid range. Probably a medium in most lineups. A graphite mod fast action is good for working through and around cover. If the cover is heavy I step up a power but it's still important for the Rod to load and cast appropriately. 

• Like 3

My dedicated 1.5 squarebill rod is a Daiwa Tatula medium-light with the full handle grip. Tat701mlrb is the model. I throw mostly around docks and rocks.

It's more of a medium, don't let the manufacturers rating fool you. 

I found this rod to be every bit as sensitive and the taper to be about the same as my orochi xx flatside special.

And it's half the price.

They also have a M and MH in the tatula rod series. All are Moderate action. I will be buying more of these and less of the Orochi xx. That is saying alot because I'm one picky mofo.

I'm thinking you might be happier with a medium, but I don't have much cranking rod experience.  I know that I bought a MH Kistler and it works well, but I just don't get the nice, connected feel with the smaller/shallower baits that the rod gives with the bigger/deeper ones.  I'll be picking up a medium power cranking rod next.

Tight lines,

Bob

I carry 4 different crankbait rods, but it's my favorite thing to do. I think if you are throwing something that small you are going to want the medium, its going to make it a lot easier to throw and it will keep the bait pegged a little better. Of course it all depends on the situation and personal prefrence, but 95% of the time 1.5 2.5's I am throwing it on a medium rod. 

I use a MH rod for most of my heavier crankbaits, and when fishing around cover.  For open water, and baits on the lighter side, I use a M rod.

A ton of good info here and when talking about shallow cranks you really can go either way depending on what kind of cover or structure you're fishing around. I'm in the same camp as DVT, look at the weights of the cranks you use and go from there.

I would choose the rod based on the weight ratings of the baits they are meant to throw. I have a different brand, but I throw baits that size on a M/M.

Smaller shallow cranks and some small lipless I throw on my 7' Abu Veracity M/M.  Bigger cranks/ lipless and DD I throw on my Enigma 7'8" MH cranking rod.

Both! Haha. I agree with Road Warrior, the MH would be more versatile, but for your specific application the "regular" Medium would probably be better suited.

agree with RW that for those baits a M/MF would be my preference