The Fisher

What line do you use for a popper?

If you fish a popper, what line do you use? Should I use braid or mono and what lb. test? It's open water.

i use 12-14lb mono most of the time. if its a smaller size popper i might drop back to 8-10 for casting distance.

• Like 2

You want to use mono because of the stretch in the line. Using braid you're more likely to pull lure away from fish.

You can use either one but most would prefer a mono or copoly. Mono offers some stretch and acts as a bit of shock absorption too.  For me the problem with braid isn't pulling out the hooks but it getting tangled in the hooks when working the bait. It doesn't have the slinky type effect that mono does. 

• Like 3

I use braids with a copoly leader because my popper rod doubles as my jerk bait rod.

i like 12# mono for poppers and walkers

#12 lb. mono for walkers as anything heavier starts to imeed action ; #12 ~ #15 lb. mono for poppers and chuggers as you don't have to wroory about line size affecting action so much as you do with a walkers side to side movement .

I use 15 lb Berkley Big Game for all top water. 

• Like 1

I use 12 pound suffix mono for top water.

I've been using Tuf-Line Supercast for topwaters.  No stretch, handles like mono with the coating, very strong, and floats.

For open water 12# Yo Zuri.

In places where I'm target casting to open areas or holes in a pad or scattered grassy area,  I use my frog/swim bait combo which has 50# braid. 

Mike

I normally go with 10lb Big Game but I'm experimenting with 20lb Kanzen right now. So far I really like it. I don't have any issue with pulling the bait away from fish because I don't have to set the hook, I just crank when a fish hits and if it loads up I can lean into them. I caught one Friday that I'm sure would have broke me off because it hit my bait just before it cleared a limb and pulled it back down the other side. I was able to just winch her back over with the braid though. 

On 5/12/2016 at 3:09 PM, rippin-lips said:

You can use either one but most would prefer a mono or copoly. Mono offers some stretch and acts as a bit of shock absorption too.  For me the problem with braid isn't pulling out the hooks but it getting tangled in the hooks when working the bait. It doesn't have the slinky type effect that mono does. 

This ^^

You can fish either braid or mono just as effective as the other. Braid just fouls on the trebles more for me so I stick /w 12# senshi. 

18lb Gliss - no leader

14# Sunline Natural mono.

10lb Big Game.

Mono/Co-polymer....12# MH rods, 8# Medium rods.  Both are standards on the majority of my rods so that would be my answer for most techniques.

Braid to fluoro for better popping. Straight braid for less popping.