Jump to content
trick worms

Mono for jig and worm rod

Recommended Posts

What is the best mono for fishing t-rigs, jigs, spinnerbaits, and other stuff like that. I imagine abrasion resistance is a key factor. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's kind of like asking what go-cart is best to drive in Formula 1.

There really is no advantage in any technique fishing mono over braid or fluoro. 

We used to use analog gyros and true north azimuth to guide rockets and missiles. It worked-ish, but digital GPS is so much easier and more accurate. I know, I'm a rocket surgeon. It's the same concept with line. Step into the future and never look back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mosster47 said:

That's kind of like asking what go-cart is best to drive in Formula 1.

There really is no advantage in any technique fishing mono over braid or fluoro. 

We used to use analog gyros and true north azimuth to guide rockets and missiles. It worked-ish, but digital GPS is so much easier and more accurate. I know, I'm a rocket surgeon. It's the same concept with line. Step into the future and never look back. 

I'd love to, but I don't have enough money. I will get braid on my flipping rod though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, trick worms said:

What is the best mono for fishing t-rigs, jigs, spinnerbaits, and other stuff like that. I imagine abrasion resistance is a key factor. Thanks!

Berkley Trilene Big Game, YoZuri Hybrid, P-Line CXX

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bigturtle said:

sufix siege

agreed. This is great mono that can take a beating.

Id personally step up to Seaguar AbrazX fluorocarbon though...but the mono is so much cheaper.

If you can only afford the Mono right now then a spool of Sufix Siege will do you right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard the 15# yo-zuri has a lot of memory. Is it enough that I shouldn't get yo zuri if 15# is the size I would get? Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trilene Big Game is pretty tough to beat for the price. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, trick worms said:

I've heard the 15# yo-zuri has a lot of memory. Is it enough that I shouldn't get yo zuri if 15# is the size I would get? Thanks

Go get you some 12lb Sufix siege...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mosster47 said:

That's kind of like asking what go-cart is best to drive in Formula 1.

There really is no advantage in any technique fishing mono over braid or fluoro. 

We used to use analog gyros and true north azimuth to guide rockets and missiles. It worked-ish, but digital GPS is so much easier and more accurate. I know, I'm a rocket surgeon. It's the same concept with line. Step into the future and never look back. 

That's funny right there ;)

My back seat is open any time ya wanna get schooled!

Berkely Big Game 15# Mean Green

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, mojojojo said:

Go get you some12lb Sufix siege... 

Yeah. 12lb is the strongest non braided line ivE used

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mosster47 said:

 

There really is no advantage in any technique fishing mono over braid or fluoro. 

 

:lol-045:

While mono may not be the best choice for this presentation, I can think of three presentations where mono is the best choice and a good number of others where it performs as good as other types of line. Next time you're at a fishing show, ask any of the line company reps which of their lines sell the best.  If they don't answer mono, check for your wallet.

BTW, if Catt isn't available to school you, shoot me a PM.:wiseman:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big Game for mono, which is what I use on almost all my reaction baits. I like Pline C21 for a lot of my bottom contact baits on casting gear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, papajoe222 said:

:lol-045:

While mono may not be the best choice for this presentation, I can think of three presentations where mono is the best choice and a good number of others where it performs as good as other types of line. Next time you're at a fishing show, ask any of the line company reps which of their lines sell the best.  If they don't answer mono, check for your wallet.

BTW, if Catt isn't available to school you, shoot me a PM.:wiseman:

OK, and Chevy sold more Cavaliers than Corvettes. Your point? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mosster47 said:

OK, and Chevy sold more Cavaliers than Corvettes. Your point? 

Point is you don't NEED a Corvette as a daily driver, especially if you can't afford it. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

d**n, couldnt of said it better^^^

I use big game mono, i recommend it but but it gets frayed easily. Xl is pretty good too. Yo zuri is good but dont buy 15lb. Its overkill. More like 12lb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with @d-camarena re Yo-Zuri.  I have 15# but only use it as leader for heavier carolina, a-rig, swim baits, big cranks, etc.  If you are targeting 15# 'non-braided' line, for your jig-and-worm rod, then 12# Yo-Zuri is probably going to suit you just fine.   (Or even 8#, if you don't hit a lot of heavy laydowns and most of your jigs are under 3/4oz.)

In fact, I've simplified my line choices greatly by going with 8# and 12# YZ and 15 and 40 pound braid.  I'm comfortable in every application I encounter.  I've no doubt that I could probably do somewhat better in any one application, but I'm done with the days of spooling 12 different lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it is worth, I throw everything on a 7' medium heavy baitcasting rod loaded with 17 pound test Trilene XT.

Strength and abrasion resistance are the two virtues I seek in a fishing line. I broke a fish off back in 2003 on a spinning rod and I am still angry about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Turtle135 said:

For what it is worth, I throw everything on a 7' medium heavy baitcasting rod loaded with 17 pound test Trilene XT.

Strength and abrasion resistance are the two virtues I seek in a fishing line. I broke a fish off back in 2003 on a spinning rod and I am still angry about it.

XT is my choice for line under 10 lbs, got 6 lbs in of my Pixies and in my Revros 2004 ..... oh boy ! it´s some good stuff right there :checkitout: . I don´t recommend XL because it doesn´t perform well where I fish the most.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

big game is great, but i've been using sufix siege lately and it's doing very well for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big Game or XT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big Game baby.

Just so you know, I used Big Game 12lb test fishing inshore/saltwater canals recently in Florida.  It helped up very well against all the nasty oysters, sharp edges..etc.  Also after numerous toothy critters, I didn't have to retie every catch.  It held up very well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big game 12-15 lb. for most everything  20 -25- for light flipping. braid for heavy flipping,punchin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×