Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Backwoods bassin

Best baitcaster

Recommended Posts

I prefer Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifiers for both spinning and casting, but I dont think there is overall a best. I have used Lews and Abu Garcias before, both make a great selection of reels. As far as whats best it all depends on what your using it for and how you like it. For example, I dont like the way the Lews fit in my palm but my buddy loves them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second the pro qualifier bait caster.  IMO it's the best bang for your buck, the online reviews say it all

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really curious about the Daiwa SV series, if they really are "backlash proof" like they claim.  Anyone own one that can confirm if you've backlashed on it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just received a Metanium MGL XG, and I have to say, it's the baddest reel I've had in my hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, blckshirt98 said:

I'm really curious about the Daiwa SV series, if they really are "backlash proof" like they claim.  Anyone own one that can confirm if you've backlashed on it? 

I was at bass pro the other day and was talking to the man selling the reels. I felt the daiwa and it was amazingly smooth,  way smoother than any of the shimano reels. He said he used to be a shimano guy until he got one and he hasn't touched his shimano reels since. The daiwa tatula type r is my next reel. Its way underrated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love my Daiwa Tatula Type Rs so much, I bought three replacements to keep until I need them. Gonna buy a couple more too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like shimano reels, I own many,  Durable????,.... I just sent 2 curados to be serviced that I bought back in 1995!  Yeah, over 20 years of heavy fishing,..".I" lubed them a couple times in that time, and "I" replaced the spacers in an attempt to avoid this servicing a couple months ago, but this is their first "professional" servicing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, blckshirt98 said:

I'm really curious about the Daiwa SV series, if they really are "backlash proof" like they claim.  Anyone own one that can confirm if you've backlashed on it?

I have Daiwa SV105P its not backlash proof but does very well. There are 20 clicks for the brake adjustment. From 0-8 you're going to need thumb and be more mindful on your cast. 9-12 seems the sweet spot for distance control will get slight fluffing but works out on its own. 13-20 is mostly thumb free casting no worries but at the cost of distance. These settings are for most lures, going to like lipless cranks that cast much more easily can adjust setting a few clicks lower usually.

For fluorocarbon I wont go under 8 on the dial and with braid, which is more manageable, I can go down to 2.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, QUAKEnSHAKE said:

I have Daiwa SV105P its not backlash proof but does very well. There are 20 clicks for the brake adjustment. From 0-8 you're going to need thumb and be more mindful on your cast. 9-12 seems the sweet spot for distance control will get slight fluffing but works out on its own. 13-20 is mostly thumb free casting no worries but at the cost of distance. These settings are for most lures, going to like lipless cranks that cast much more easily can adjust setting a few clicks lower usually.

For fluorocarbon I wont go under 8 on the dial and with braid, which is more manageable, I can go down to 2.

Hit the nail on the head.  I find this reel incredibly versatile and user-friendly.  

As far as best reel, imo my favorite is my td ito, but I really love the classics.  As far as new stuff I like the metanium mgl.  I have a met 13, but that mgl has me itching for a new reel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, blckshirt98 said:

I'm really curious about the Daiwa SV series, if they really are "backlash proof" like they claim.  Anyone own one that can confirm if you've backlashed on it?

I have no problem backlashing mine, but it seems I am in a minority.  Mine is the Alphas SV 105 straight out of the box.  Right now it backlashes/over-runs easier than any other reel I own.  Depressing because I love the Alphas format and have 4 of them plus a couple Sols, which are pretty much the same thing.

Best is personal preference.  Personally I can't afford the best (read most expensive)..  As of today's date, I have several "favorites".  Zillion 50th Anniversary, Alphas, Primmus, Helios Air, Lew's Pro Z and Tournament MB, TD-Z 105H and Curado 201E7 to name a couple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, QUAKEnSHAKE said:

I have Daiwa SV105P its not backlash proof but does very well. There are 20 clicks for the brake adjustment. From 0-8 you're going to need thumb and be more mindful on your cast. 9-12 seems the sweet spot for distance control will get slight fluffing but works out on its own. 13-20 is mostly thumb free casting no worries but at the cost of distance. These settings are for most lures, going to like lipless cranks that cast much more easily can adjust setting a few clicks lower usually.

For fluorocarbon I wont go under 8 on the dial and with braid, which is more manageable, I can go down to 2.

Just curious to why you say you won't go under 8 on the dial for fluorocarbon. I bought some Tatulas in the offseason and I've been having some issues with my line breaking in the middle of the spool. I thought it possibly due to backlash issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not the poster you quoted, but am willing to make a guess.  Fluorocarbon has more memory than other lines.  I'd guess he isn't going below 8 to avoid over-runs and backlashes.  Your line breaking in the middle of the spool is almost 100% certainly due to backlashes....especially if it is fluorocarbon line.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still figuring all this stuff out. It's getting costly at $20 a spool for fluoro.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fishin' Fool said:

I'm still figuring all this stuff out. It's getting costly at $20 a spool for fluoro.

Sounds like you should be trying some Yo-Zuri or other quality mono or co-polymer.  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, new2BC4bass said:

Sounds like you should be trying some Yo-Zuri or other quality mono or co-polymer.  :lol:

If my line keeps breaking for sure. I just increased my line from 10 to 14 too. Hopefully that will help with the fluorocarbon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kvd line and lure makes big difference.  One of my pet peeves about fluorocarbon is one tiny kink and it's over.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Fishin' Fool said:

Just curious to why you say you won't go under 8 on the dial for fluorocarbon. I bought some Tatulas in the offseason and I've been having some issues with my line breaking in the middle of the spool. I thought it possibly due to backlash issues.

 

12 hours ago, new2BC4bass said:

I'm not the poster you quoted, but am willing to make a guess.  Fluorocarbon has more memory than other lines.  I'd guess he isn't going below 8 to avoid over-runs and backlashes.  Your line breaking in the middle of the spool is almost 100% certainly due to backlashes....especially if it is fluorocarbon line.

Yeah Im running 16# Sniper FC going below 8 of 20 clicks the need for thumbing seems to get in the way of distance. The line unloads on the spool too much, I dont use line conditioner and I also have Hedgehog ceramic bearings in mine so the spool spins more freely.

 I have a Tatula also and though it doesnt behave as well as the SV spool never had issues with line snapping. I have used 15# & 40# braid with it, havent used FC so cant comment on how that would work.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most every brand makes a solid performing reel anymore and a lot of responses are subjective and opinionated. Won't be long and someone will drive this bus into a bridge abutment when someone insults their favorite reel, it always happens in these threads.

That said, I'm really digging the 70 size Curado I. Sweet reel that's very comfortable in my hands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2016 at 10:38 PM, Backwoods bassin said:

I was at bass pro the other day and was talking to the man selling the reels. I felt the daiwa and it was amazingly smooth,  way smoother than any of the shimano reels. He said he used to be a shimano guy until he got one and he hasn't touched his shimano reels since. The daiwa tatula type r is my next reel. Its way underrated. 

Bass Pro stopped carrying Daiwa. Was a good place to compare at. As far as best, it is all personnal preference so I will say that they are all the best depending on who is saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On May 27, 2016 at 9:12 PM, Backwoods bassin said:

Name the best BAITCASTERS made as of 2016. Thoughts on lews, shimano, and Abu Garcia? 

Any of those is great option,depending on what your budget is. I think for Lews reels for the price is your best bet however getting into the high end Abu Garcia and especially shimano makes some of the best. If it is your first Baitcast checkout the sell/trade forum find you a nice used reel. I think it will really come down to personal choice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any Lew's Team reel is an extremely good real. Most of my reaction setups have Tournament MB's on them and they have been bullet proof. 

I was an Abu guy, but I've converted to Lew's. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After many years being out of heavy fishing when I came back I tried a few brands and found Lews to be a great fit for me. Tournament MB is a great reel for the $ .

Also I believe that since its in your hands all day and everyone has different hands 50% of the choice is personal. I mean if you hate the way it feels, weighs, or even looks you arent going to be happy even if it performs.

All that aside your top 3 or 4 manufacturers all produce quality reels in the $100 to $120 range and that from my experience is really where the decent reels start generally speaking. And no I am not bashing anyone that has reels they love for less than $100 I have a few myself and they work but when I pick up a better reel its obvious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daiwa SV103 and SV105. This will cover all your basis. 103 for the heavier stuff, 105 for the lighter stuff. Both reels feel smooth and solid, and fish fantastic. Backlash proof, um no. You can make them backlash but it ain't easy. You have to get pretty crazy. Daiwas breaking system Reins supreme in my book for both function and ease of operability. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×