Sign in to follow this  
Dane Morris

REEL GRIPS

Hey guys, I am interested in purchasing reel grips and I am wondering if you guys think they actually make a difference.

Thanks so much,

Dane

Tight Lines!

I'd rather change the handle than the grip. I have some of the reel grips and like Longo said, they're always sliding around and needing readjusted. Handles are more expensive, but way less hassle. 

• Like 1

I have some grips on my abu garcia black max. They do give you a better grip but nothing really noticeable in my opinion. They do change the look of your reel, and are a nice cosmetic item. If you're having trouble getting a good grip on the reel handle, I'd suggest replacing it. 

I use the slip on rubber one's for several of my reels. 

Certain reels they don't stay on as well such as my curados. 

The ones I do use them on I feel they do help when my hands are getting wet. Also I like the little cosmetic touch they add.  For the price, I'd say give them a shot.  You might love them. If not you're only out 5 bucks. 

• Like 2

They look cheap and tacky especially on nicer reels. Depending upon the knob material they can sometimes leave marks or indentations on the current handle knobs underneath.

I would just get better handle knobs for the reel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kickerfish1 said:

They look cheap and tacky especially on nicer reels. Depending upon the knob material they can sometimes leave marks or indentations on the current handle knobs underneath.

4 hours ago, Mosster47 said:

I have them on my Abu's and spinning reels. Not great, not terrible. 

7 hours ago, FordsnFishin said:

I use the slip on rubber one's for several of my reels. 

Certain reels they don't stay on as well such as my curados. 

The ones I do use them on I feel they do help when my hands are getting wet. Also I like the little cosmetic touch they add.  For the price, I'd say give them a shot.  You might love them. If not you're only out 5 bucks. 

8 hours ago, RafaelM said:

I have some grips on my abu garcia black max. They do give you a better grip but nothing really noticeable in my opinion. They do change the look of your reel, and are a nice cosmetic item. If you're having trouble getting a good grip on the reel handle, I'd suggest replacing it. 

14 hours ago, EllisJuan said:

Buy some good quality EVA or cork knobs and be done with it.

15 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I'd rather change the handle than the grip. I have some of the reel grips and like Longo said, they're always sliding around and needing readjusted. Handles are more expensive, but way less hassle. 

16 hours ago, Longo said:

If these are what you are talking about

http://www.***.com/Reel_Grips_Pro_Series/descpage-RGPS.html?gclid=COGd9bmOwM4CFYGEaQodsqIL1Q

Personally I'm not a fan.  It seemed like they were always sliding around.  I ended up taking them off.  For me they just weren't a fit.

Thanks for the advice you guys!

Tight Lines!

• Like 1

Some people really like them. My dad likes the feel of them and I don't mind as long as they stay put on the grips you have. I've got 2 Johnny Morris reels that basically have the same pattern built into the oem grips and I like those. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kickerfish1 said:

This my opinion as well. If someone likes them cool it's their reel. Not my taste though. 

• Like 1

I only use them on some 500 size trout reels and they do their job, I don't have any issues with them.  Wouldn't use them on larger sized reels though since the handles/knobs are okay for me.

Depending on the size of the knobs.  I have them on most reels.  They do tend to slide a bit.  I purchased a reel from an B.A.S.S. touring pro once that received an upgrade in his sponsorship.  He put drop of glue on the knob to keep them from sliding.

they are not for me, i didn't find them to be very comfortable nor useful.

After buy one pair and trying them, they're on all of my "Lews" reels now. I think they're great. I like a 95mm handle too.