AndrewJ

What brand and type of Life Jackets do you use?

Just like the title states, I am looking for an auto inflatable life jacket that would fit me.  I am north of 300 lbs and am wondering what you guys think would work for me.  Thanks in advance. 

As  a teenager I grew up water skiing so I'm comfortable wearing my O'Brien!

For the price I paid for the vest & re-arm kits I've been highly disappointed with auto inflate vests. 

I've had a Onyx & a BPS pop; my brother had his Onyx pop sitting on the floor in the back of the boat.

Take a look at the Mustang 3087.  It's a 35 LB rating and is a series V.   It's portable, adjustable and comfortable. 

• Like 2

I have a bps/mustang.

we also have some of the onyx.....no problems.

Mustang Survival - Elite Inflatable PFD Automatic Black    

A-Jay

Mustang Elite PFD.jpg

• Like 1

NRS...

Thanks for the replies... Im leaning towards onyx due to the price

3 hours ago, AndrewJ said:

Thanks for the replies... Im leaning towards onyx due to the price

Did you just devalue your own Life ?

Get The Best One ~ You're worth the extra few bucks aren't you ?

A-Jay

• Like 2

i have an onyx and have no issues with it.  i've deployed it twice.  once when i dropped it off the kayak into the water, deployed after about 4 seconds or so.  once when i fell out of my kayak not too long ago and it deployed within 3-5 seconds of being submerged.  

On 8/14/2016 at 1:33 PM, A-Jay said:

Mustang Survival - Elite Inflatable PFD Automatic Black    

A-Jay

Mustang Elite PFD.jpg

^this. I've got a Mustang, it was their previous top of the line model not long before they came out with this one. Get one with their H.I.T Technology. It gets rid of accidental discharges due to rain, humidity, or splashes. It will only go off after being submerged in more than 4" of water. The price is steep, but they are worth it. 

• Like 2

On August 14, 2016 at 8:47 PM, A-Jay said:

A-Jay

Certainly came out sounding that way

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndrewJ said:

Certainly came out sounding that way

Certainly not a shot - just making a point.

:)

A-Jay

AJ and others, do you wear your PFD while fishing or only when the boat Is under power?

Just now, whitwolf said:

AJ and others, do you wear your PFD while fishing or only when the boat Is under power?

In the Old town all the time - on board the Lund - PFD goes on before I energize the Optimax and stays on until it goes off.

A-Jay

• Like 2

On 8/14/2016 at 10:47 PM, A-Jay said:

A-Jay

You would make a good insurance salesman.

Sir buy the 1/2 million dollar policy your worth more than 250K. Ask your wife bet shes all for it. :lol:

Thanks for the reply AJ. The biggest reason I asked Is the older I get the more I'm thinking, and feel I should, wear a PFD all the time. The wife and I are buying a new boat soon and while It will be the most stable fishing platform (for us) to date I still think for my piece of mind I should wear It while under power and fishing, especially at night.

1 hour ago, whitwolf said:

Thanks for the reply AJ. The biggest reason I asked Is the older I get the more I'm thinking, and feel I should, wear a PFD all the time. The wife and I are buying a new boat soon and while It will be the most stable fishing platform (for us) to date I still think for my piece of mind I should wear It while under power and fishing, especially at night.

I hear that ~ btw - night ops for me are always a full time PFD deal, regardless of the vessel.

A-Jay

• Like 1

Well i went ahead and bought the Mustang Survival for the wife and myself.  Got a good deal on them ($70 off each one).  Now I hope mine fits me.  Did a quick measure and I should have 2 inches to spare haha.  Thanks for the input and the shaming, looking at you Ajay ;).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AndrewJ said:

Well i went ahead and bought the Mustang Survival for the wife and myself.  Got a good deal on them ($70 off each one).  Now I hope mine fits me.  Did a quick measure and I should have 2 inches to spare haha.  Thanks for the input and the shaming, looking at you Ajay ;).

You'll be glad you did. I fish tournaments and I don't know how many times I've weighed fish in wearing mine not because I was trying to keep it on display, but rather because I forgot I had it on. Definitely a wise decision on your part!

• Like 1

Bought three new mustang elites for the boat.  No skimping on pfd's.

• Like 1

i just upgraded my PFD...thanks to my wife.  she looked at the one i had.  and asked..."how much did you spend on some of your rods?"...answer $180.  and "how much on some of your reels?"...answer $120.....and "how much did you spend on your lifejacket?"...uh, $25.

well.....you know that didn't sound very smart did it?  so now i own a Cabela's Guidewear auto-inflate rated at 35lb.  it was $169 on sale for $118 last month.   super comfortable and glad i bought it.  my wife is awesome!!  :)

seriously, when she put things in perspective....how dumb was I?

I have a OYNX and no issues. Sometimes I have to check to make sure I am wearing it!

The main selling point on the mustang for me was the tech that prevents the pfd from inflating until its under 4" of water

I have the Cabela's auto inflate and it is usually on sale during the winter with a good price drop.  

On August 15, 2016 at 2:30 PM, WIGuide said:

^this. I've got a Mustang, it was their previous top of the line model not long before they came out with this one. Get one with their H.I.T Technology. It gets rid of accidental discharges due to rain, humidity, or splashes. It will only go off after being submerged in more than 4" of water. The price is steep, but they are worth it. 

How long are these good for?