Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
joe chum

Drop Shot Minnow Baits

Recommended Posts

Hi folks. I'm looking to add some baitfish patterns to my dropshot arsenal. I'm fishing clear to slightly green/tea stained waters with Perch and Pumkinseed being the main forage. I did very well with the Jackall Crosstail Shad last season. Looking to add the Strike King Drop Shot Half Shell, Yum Warning Shot and Kill Shot this year. Do you guys have any recommendations?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a look at Basstrix, Bruce makes Flashtrix and Baitfry, both good drop shot minnows.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WRB said:

Take a look at Basstrix, Bruce makes Flashtrix and Baitfry, both good drop shot minnows.

Tom

 

Thanks Tom. Nice looking baits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, joe chum said:

Hi folks. I'm looking to add some baitfish patterns to my dropshot arsenal. I'm fishing clear to slightly green/tea stained waters with Perch and Pumkinseed being the main forage. I did very well with the Jackall Crosstail Shad last season. Looking to add the Strike King Drop Shot Half Shell, Yum Warning Shot and Kill Shot this year. Do you guys have any recommendations?

I'm like you, I really like Jackall Crosstails. Clone Fries are also good too. Check out their orange belly bluegill pattern. Its a fish catcher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For just a minnow type the tiny flukes and Power Bait minnows are great.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Gundog said:

I'm like you, I really like Jackall Crosstails. Clone Fries are also good too. Check out their orange belly bluegill pattern. Its a fish catcher. 

 

The Clone Fries are a bait I have considered in the past but due to the price I've stayed away from them. Maybe I'll try that bluegill pattern. Looks fantastic. Thanks

11 hours ago, Mosster47 said:

For just a minnow type the tiny flukes and Power Bait minnows are great.

 

I do have some Power Bait minnows but haven't any success with them. I'll give them another shot this season. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, joe chum said:

Hi folks. I'm looking to add some baitfish patterns to my dropshot arsenal. I'm fishing clear to slightly green/tea stained waters with Perch and Pumkinseed being the main forage. I did very well with the Jackall Crosstail Shad last season. Looking to add the Strike King Drop Shot Half Shell, Yum Warning Shot and Kill Shot this year. Do you guys have any recommendations?

 

I use all the baits you mentioned and they work great.

 

In addition I recommend the Yum Sharpshooter, Strike King Dreamshot, Berkley Gulp Alive Minnow (2" or 3" size) and Biospawn Plasma tail 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once a Keitech gets too beaten up to be used as a swimbait, it makes a great drop shot bait if you haven't lost the tail.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Finesse Wayfarer said:

 

I use all the baits you mentioned and they work great.

 

In addition I recommend the Yum Sharpshooter, Strike King Dreamshot, Berkley Gulp Alive Minnow (2" or 3" size) and Biospawn Plasma tail 

 

Thank you. I have the Biospawn Plasma Tail on my list.

3 hours ago, portiabrat said:

Once a Keitech gets too beaten up to be used as a swimbait, it makes a great drop shot bait if you haven't lost the tail.

 

I do use the Keitech Easy Shiner and the Swing Impact. Great tip. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lunkerhunt Bento minnow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had fantastic success with the Yamamoto

Shad Shaped Minnow. Excellent bait for drop shot,

wacky, texas, etc.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Darren. said:

I've had fantastic success with the Yamamoto

Shad Shaped Minnow. Excellent bait for drop shot,

wacky, texas, etc.

 

Great reviews on TW. Thanks Darren

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, joe chum said:

 

Great reviews on TW. Thanks Darren

 

Write back after your first few beasts caught :) 

 

Do beware, the tail can attract nibblers...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had excellent luck last year using Trout Trick's from Z-man. Redbone to be specific. Their fluke style baits worked well also. The elastec material lasts longer so you don't go baits as often. Their Deisel Minnow swimbaits are killer as well! Pearl white.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Darren. said:

 

Write back after your first few beasts caught :) 

 

Do beware, the tail can attract nibblers...

 

Will do.

 

10 hours ago, 1simplemann said:

I had excellent luck last year using Trout Trick's from Z-man. Redbone to be specific. Their fluke style baits worked well also. The elastec material lasts longer so you don't go baits as often. Their Deisel Minnow swimbaits are killer as well! Pearl white.

 

I used the Z-man Finesse Shadz on a Ned rig with great success. I'm definitely very impressed with Z-man products and will be trying some new baits from them this year. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also look at the Razor shad. Haven't used them yet but look to be perfect for drop shotting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure all of these suggestions work very well. Actually, I've never really tried any kind of shad/worm style that did not catch me bass. It's the nature of the beast. You might do well by looking at the old, simple 3" Sluggo, nose-hooked. When twitched, it side flashes very nice. Has been very productive for me as well. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Vancouver Island, BC?  Wow! 

 

Two dropshot baits I really like are the Jackall 4" Crosstail Shad

and the Roboworm 4.5" Straight-tail Worm (though not a minnow bait).

 

Roger

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2017 at 2:02 PM, joe chum said:

Hi folks. I'm looking to add some baitfish patterns to my dropshot arsenal. I'm fishing clear to slightly green/tea stained waters with Perch and Pumkinseed being the main forage. I did very well with the Jackall Crosstail Shad last season. Looking to add the Strike King Drop Shot Half Shell, Yum Warning Shot and Kill Shot this year. Do you guys have any recommendations?

I am a big fan of the Yum baits. Add the Yum Sharpshooter worm to your list of Yum baits to try, they are fantastic as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote here for a sluggo, also a couple other baits I drop shot are a reaper and leech. Might not fit that baitfish group perfect but they work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dislike dropshot fishing, preferring finesse jig tactics. In my mind it take more skill. But there are times early in the year I use it.

 When I do I go off way the plantation, and the bait is usually a FLY. Yup, maribou streamers, big wooly buggers, bunny strip leeches, and especially a steelhead pattern called a purple egg sucking leech. Works, and with a good tie you can fish the same bait all day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everybody for your great advice. Looks like I'll be spending a few bucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fishbelly Hawg Shad.

 

Allen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing forum

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×