Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I'm thinking about buying a bait caster from Walmart. The reel is a Kast King Royale Legend. Has anyone heard of Kast King or used their reels before? I saw they were on ICAST but for 10 ball bearings for 40$ it seems to good to be true and there must be a catch......

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are a forum sponsor.  Many of us are testing them.  I have a Stealth and it's not bad.  I don't really consider bearing counts when evaluating a reel.  You can jack the count by adding four in the knobs alone.  Typical casting reel only needs 4-5 bearings.  The thing to keep in mind, it's a $40 reel.  We need stuff that is budget priced, and isn't crap.  So far, so good.  There have been other threads in here talking about them, and some testimonials on their customer service (which has been good).

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll search for the threads thanks for your help tight lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I can't comment on Kast King products, I can say this. Don't put all your faith into the quality of a reel just off of the amount of bearings in a reel. A prime example is the $200 Shimano Curado. This reel only comes with 5 bearings in it. On the other hand, the $79 Abu Garcia Orra SX comes with 7 bearings in it. Anyone who has ever held and compared these two reels would have no problem telling you that the Curado is the superior reel between the two. 

 

In the long run, you're better off doing research like you are doing and seeing what real world users are experiencing. The opinion of those people is far more important that what a bearing count of a reel is. I'm sure others will chime in here and voice their experience for you. In the mean time, best of luck in your search for a new reel.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, J Francho said:

They are a forum sponsor.  Many of us are testing them.  I have a Stealth and it's not bad.  I don't really consider bearing counts when evaluating a reel.  You can jack the count by adding four in the knobs alone.  Typical casting reel only needs 4-5 bearings.  The thing to keep in mind, it's a $40 reel.  We need stuff that is budget priced, and isn't crap.  So far, so good.  There have been other threads in here talking about them, and some testimonials on their customer service (which has been good).

 

I agree with J Francho, the Stealth is not bad.

 

As a perk of KastKing being a sponsor of these forums, you can get a 10% discount on the Stealth by using the code KStealth until March 30th

 

Mine cost $51 after discount and taxes. I have a plug on it and have been practicing casting in my snow covered yard. It casts a mile and then some. My advice is to turn all 4 center pin brakes on and the magnetic control to 10 to start.

 

With the discount you will be paying $10 more than the Royale but you get a lighter, stronger carbon fiber reel.

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

appreciate the feedback guys tight lines 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I apologize - I have the Assassin.  I was able to get some real life pitching and casting in.  Spooled it with pink Super Power Braid.  I have to say, everything is right with this reel.  I set the internal centrifugal brakes to a clack or two less than max, and zero magnetics, and it casts great.  It wasn't fussy at all, like many entry level reels.  Really, the only thing to test now is durability.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2017 at 10:27 AM, JQ-92 said:

I'm thinking about buying a bait caster from Walmart. The reel is a Kast King Royale Legend. Has anyone heard of Kast King or used their reels before? I saw they were on ICAST but for 10 ball bearings for 40$ it seems to good to be true and there must be a catch......

Love my royale legend. I have one on my chatterbait rod. Good entry level reel. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like my reels to last over a season before they get grindy (Seems to be the status quo with Graphite/Carbon reels)

I still see 10+ year old Curados fishing good as new, cant say the same for Graphite reels.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2017 at 2:34 PM, NYWayfarer said:

 

I agree with J Francho, the Stealth is not bad.

 

As a perk of KastKing being a sponsor of these forums, you can get a 10% discount on the Stealth by using the code KStealth until March 30th

 

Mine cost $51 after discount and taxes. I have a plug on it and have been practicing casting in my snow covered yard. It casts a mile and then some. My advice is to turn all 4 center pin brakes on and the magnetic control to 10 to start.

 

With the discount you will be paying $10 more than the Royale but you get a lighter, stronger carbon fiber reel.

 

 

I have one Royale Legend that I got as a gift that I used in the end of 2016, all of 2017 and through this year. I had it in a 3-4 rod rotation. I had a lot of problems with backlashes last year, fewer this year, as I learned it. I was having a problem adjusting from the feel of a Black Max and whatever the $100 Lew's combo is. 

 

Out of curiosity, I bought a second Royale Legend to see if maybe there was some variability in the reels. Kind of an experiment since it was only $40. But I had the same issues.

 

I put lots of casts and wasted time into trying to learn those things. They got the majority of my time because I was determined to see if I could get them dialed in well because FOR ME, they were smooth, and cast very far when I didn't backlash. They seemed promising.

 

Fast forward, I finally found a recommendation to take the side plate off and turn on 2-3 of the brakes. That helped. It didn't eliminate backlashes but it helped. 

 

This whole time, the highest I turned the other braking to was 5.5. My BIGGEST mistake was holding onto my own misconceptions that somehow turning the brake to 10 and working back would severely limit my casting distance. I had seen this recommended by a lot of people who are much better with a baitcaster than I am. Well, last night, I finally took that advice and noticed that it had a pretty big impact on what I could get away with casting both TRigs, around 1/4 oz and bigger wakebaits...I could actually get kind of reckless and still not backlash. 

 

The next test will be a frog. That was giving me my biggest headaches before with those reels. They would throw almost everything better than the fog. 

 

I guess what I'm saying is if you see multiple recommendations from people with many more years of experience than you in a subject, whether YOU think what they're saying is what you want or correct, give it a shot before declaring something a complete failure. For me, I was determined that the problem with these reels must be me but I wasn't willing to go all the way and do the things with the reel that I had seen recommended because I already had my own ideas (which seem to have been incorrect) about these recommendations. 

 

Anyways, my two have held up. For me, once I tune them, they do everything I need them to. They definitely feel better than the Black Max but feel different than the Lews. But again, I'm talking about the cheapest KK reel, so maybe that's not unexpected. 

 

***ha, I had a typo that said, "I seen"...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the Assasin and really liked it. Sold it and moved up to a better quality reel but would not hesitate to use another one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is the Sparticus Plus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2017 at 12:32 AM, nameiztaken said:

I like my reels to last over a season before they get grindy (Seems to be the status quo with Graphite/Carbon reels)

I still see 10+ year old Curados fishing good as new, cant say the same for Graphite reels.

 

I've fished my Assassin hard for a couple seasons now, put it through way more than most bass reels will ever have to deal with, no grinding as of yet. 

 

As of right now I'm at;

Sharky II 

Sharky III X2

Kodiak

Assassin

Spartacus Plus

Speed Demon X2

Speed Demon Pro

 

All but 2 were paid for out of my pocket because my 2 test reels I was given impressed me enough to buy more. 

 

I've had one issue with a sluggish bail spring on one of the Sharky III's, but an email to KK and they swapped me out for a new one in no time. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2017 at 8:27 AM, JQ-92 said:

I'm thinking about buying a bait caster from Walmart. The reel is a Kast King Royale Legend. Has anyone heard of Kast King or used their reels before? I saw they were on ICAST but for 10 ball bearings for 40$ it seems to good to be true and there must be a catch......

If your on a budget go with abu garcia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Burrows said:

If your on a budget go with abu garcia.

This thread is from March I would hope the OP made a decision by now :wink3:

 

If he didn't I would say have a look at the new Kastking Royale Legend Elite reels. I really like the looks of the red one. That swing side cover is a nice feature they added.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son switched over to all kastking reels at the beginning of this year. He has 3 assassins and 2 stealths. I find myself using them sometimes as well. We have punished them here in S FL for almost a year flippin/pitchin and froggin heavy cover. I kinda wanted to break one just to say "I told y'all they sucked". But that hasn't been the case so far. They feel like a way more expensive reel for sure. We're currently testing their 4 strand braid as well. I have been blown away by the strength and minimum color fading of the line. And at $5 for 150yds, what else can I say!?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DINK WHISPERER said:

I kinda wanted to break one just to say "I told y'all they sucked". But that hasn't been the case so far.

This is an awesome statement! Thanks for sharing your experience :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DINK WHISPERER said:

My son switched over to all kastking reels at the beginning of this year. He has 3 assassins and 2 stealths. I find myself using them sometimes as well. We have punished them here in S FL for almost a year flippin/pitchin and froggin heavy cover. I kinda wanted to break one just to say "I told y'all they sucked". But that hasn't been the case so far. They feel like a way more expensive reel for sure. We're currently testing their 4 strand braid as well. I have been blown away by the strength and minimum color fading of the line. And at $5 for 150yds, what else can I say!?

Interesting,I have been wanting to start my daughter fishing on a baitcaster and have not really decided on what reel to get her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Burrows said:

Interesting,I have been wanting to start my daughter fishing on a baitcaster and have not really decided on what reel to get her. 

I wouldn't hesitate man. My son being only 9 years old doesn't need really expensive gear. Figured I would get him some "disposable" reels for now. They turned out to be Keepers. He loves his and they are really light too. 

 

And just to put it out there.... I am in no way affiliated with kastking and yes I've paid for every one of their products that we are currently using. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, DINK WHISPERER said:

 We're currently testing their 4 strand braid as well. I have been blown away by the strength and minimum color fading of the line. And at $5 for 150yds, what else can I say!?

The Super Power is a lifesaver for me. I use it for myself and also on my guide rods. When you give someone who is inexperienced a spinning rod with a light bait to fish all day, knots are unavoidable. It hurts way less when I have to cut out some Super Power, even over original PowerPro, it saves me a lot of money by the end of they year. It doesn't fray and puff out like I was afraid it might either, just has been a great find all around. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm new to the KASTKING but I'm liking them.  So smooth.  But I am sending the Assassin back as the thumb bar doesn't always engage.  The lady I talked with at customer service was very good.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jasondaily said:

Has anyone had a chance to check out kast kings new speed demon tournament rod? 

I have the 7' 3" M/F "Worm/Jig" rod and like it really well so far, lightweight and sensitive. I do believe that it is rated a little heavier than it actually fishes though because the rating on it is closer to a MH but it does fish like a M. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I LOVE Kastking stuff.

 

The new Royale Legend elites just came out. I'd buy those instead of the older model Royale legends.

 

I have an assasin and a speed demon and they are both amazing reels. You really can't beat Kastking at their price point. Their stuff competes with (not beats) reels that are $100 more in cost.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Kastking Royale Legend.I got it off of amazon for around $50.  I don't use it alot; I can't go bass fishing very often.It seems to be a pretty decent reel. It has plastic gears, so they will wear out faster, especially if you use it heavily.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing forum

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×