juicebass

Hookset issues!!!

I was fishing a tub Jig for smallies yesterday and had a bunch throw the bait when they jumped out of the water. Happened a decent amount of times.

When I set the hook I don't go directly up.. I pull up and to the left (I bring the rod tip from down to my upper left shoulder).

I usually set my jig hooks for Largies that way and don't usually have a problem (maybe because they jump less aggressively) and honestly I see the elite series guys do a similar angled hook set..

anyways my buddy told me to set the hook directly up.. it was towards the end of the day. And I had 3 fish on, straight hook set up, and didn't lose one even when they jumped.

my question is: is a hookset best straight up?? Is this more important for tube rather than other baits?

im gonnna continue to go straight up and eliminate my slight angled hooks sets with tubes, but maybe it doesn't matter as much for jigs for EWG hooks...

just wanna know YOUR BEST techniques for best hook set ratio!

cheers

Here's how to fix that:

• Like 1

Like Glenn said!!!

I haven't watched that particular video, but I'm with Oregon Native, do as Glenn says! Lol

For EWG hooks I use a side sweeping hook set, for round bend hooks, I use the upward swing. Power doesn't set the hook, speed does. I use a 2 handed hook set when I use the round bend hooks, it is kind of like popping a whip.

Trebles I sweep to the side, single point I pull up and slightly left like you described... I'm not completely sure a small 10 degree difference in hookset angle would affect the solidity of the the actual hookset. Could have been coincidence that your first hooksets just weren't seated well, possibly by no fault of your own, but if you made a change and that made a difference it sounds like you solved your issue. 

The direction you swing the rod tip has nothing to do with applying enough force to penetrate a sharp hook past the barb. If the hook point starts to penetrate the inside mouth tissue the bass reacts by trying to reject the lure before you drive the hook in past the barb. 

I use the reel set and firm rod sweep method because it works over 99% for me. Glenn claims it knocks open the basses mouth. Greg Hackney has a video using my technique because it works for him. Different strokes for different folks.

Tom

• Like 1

Use lures with treble hooks :D.

In my experience smallies are much better than largemouth at dislodging those hooks. Make sure when you're reeling him in you keep the pressure on. No slack in that line, especially when you sense he's going to jump.

I use a tube jig head, ran straight up the body of the tube, hook exposed. I swipe to the side while reeling down on them, spinning rod. I've never had an issue with fish coming un-pinned. 

You can't prevent a bass, especially smallmouth bass, from jumping. You can keep any fish under control by keeping  the rod loaded and staying in front of them.

When you snap set your rod is over head and difficult to keep the rod loaded, it creates slack in the line.

Develop a hook set that works for you.

Tom

22 hours ago, WRB said:

You can't prevent a bass, especially smallmouth bass, from jumping.

That's for sure.

It's not 'line pressure' that causes a fish to jump, it's the foreign object they feel stuck to their lip,

throat or gullet. Fish instinctively know they can generate much greater head-speed in the atmosphere

than underwater. So when the line starts slicing upward toward the surface, you know what's on her mind :)

Roger

• Like 1

The power over the head hook sets are only critical with a large punching style weight imo.  This is also critical because of the size and Guage of the hook.  Never one answer for all situations.  All treble baits can be reel set in my experience along with exposed hook baits like dropshot.

I use a 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock rod lift hook set when my lure is nearly vertical like drop shot, structure spoons, ice jigs etc., or a hard vertical hook set at times in short cast in cover like flipping or pitching jigs. My reel set rod sweep technique puts tremendous force to a single hook lure like jigs and worms and I've been known to launch tight eyes out of the water. When using treble hook lures the reel & sweep set is less aggressive and the rods are moderate action that tend to take up some of the energy.

Lots of variables to consider and hook set timing changes depending on how aggressive the strike is and type of lures being used.

Tom

Just reel and swing for the fences. I dont think angles matter much. I fish real heavy cover and most of the time my rod is at an akward angle and it doesnt seem to matter. You problem might be the hook bends out just enough to let go of the fish or the drag is too loose. Lots of variables just gotta keep trying new things till you find the right set up