Jump to content
Fun4Me

Is anyone going to specifically fish the solar eclipse?

Recommended Posts

I am. I think it would be neat to say you caught fish during the eclipse. There's going to be about a 90 ish percent total eclipse here. What do you think the fish will do during this time? anything different? What lures would you use different if any? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the fish will swim, look for food, some may have eclipse parties but doubtful. I think most will just hang out. 

 

Lures to use....depends if there's a big group it might be an eclipse party. If that's the case Doritos (cool ranch of course) would be a good bet. Anything on a Miller Lite bobber. If it isn't an eclipse party a Senko is a safe bet.

 

I'll be working like I am now. ?

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Fun4Me said:

I am. I think it would be neat to say you caught fish during the eclipse. There's going to be about a 90 ish percent total eclipse here. What do you think the fish will do during this time? anything different? What lures would you use different if any? 

they'll go to the other 10 ish percent of the water?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My club rented a cabin on a river while the eclipse is happening. One of our guys backed out of the trip because he is going to go to Southern Illinois to view the eclipse. I'd hate to make big plans and then have it be cloudy. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Choporoz said:

they'll go to the other 10 ish percent of the water?

 

I think 10% of them will go to 90% of the water :)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have fished the last eclipse but it did not reach totality .  The moon did not completely block out the sun like it will this time . The moon has elelliptical orbit and was to far away to block it out totally . It was a poor fishing day . It was like fishing on a cloudy day for a couple of minutes . The Owls were hooting .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like all other animals, the eclipse will cause the bass to be ultra finicky and sensitive to their surroundings as there is an unnatural change occurring, even if for only a few minutes.

 

I doubt you will get a bite.

 

But give it a try and let us know what you catch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My house and the lake I fish is nearly dead in the middle of the totality. But with it being only 2 minutes / 40 seconds-ish, not sure how much change will occur. But any day of fishing is better than a day of not fishing. I may try and "work from home" that day. Or take a half-day. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 12poundbass said:

I think the fish will swim, look for food, some may have eclipse parties but doubtful. I think most will just hang out. 

 

Lures to use....depends if there's a big group it might be an eclipse party. If that's the case Doritos (cool ranch of course) would be a good bet. Anything on a Miller Lite bobber. If it isn't an eclipse party a Senko is a safe bet.

 

I'll be working like I am now. ?

 

Dang ! i thought they were gonna party a lot.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Party fish, I see that El Grande lures hatch match sticks come in Mardi Gras color :). Maybe that should be my bait choice. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My top producing lure during solar eclipse's is a black & blue jig and craw.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Turtle135 said:

My top producing lure during solar eclipse's is a black & blue jig and craw.

 

That sounds like a plan to me. I will try one. My local ponds are hitting creature baits on the bottom pretty hard right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scott F said:

My club rented a cabin on a river while the eclipse is happening. One of our guys backed out of the trip because he is going to go to Southern Illinois to view the eclipse. I'd hate to make big plans and then have it be cloudy. 

I'm already in central Illinois, but I too am going down to southern Illinois for the eclipse party in Carbondale. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sword of the Lord said:

I'm already in central Illinois, but I too am going down to southern Illinois for the eclipse party in Carbondale. 

Where about in Central Illinois. Mattoon area here

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm smack in the middle of totality and I've been planning the outing for 2 years.  I will be on the water.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep being reminded that it's coming up....Guess it's just another day....hopefully a fishing day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, 12poundbass said:

I think the fish will swim, look for food, some may have eclipse parties but doubtful. I think most will just hang out. 

 

Lures to use....depends if there's a big group it might be an eclipse party. If that's the case Doritos (cool ranch of course) would be a good bet. Anything on a Miller Lite bobber. If it isn't an eclipse party a Senko is a safe bet.

 

I'll be working like I am now. ?

if they do have a party it would be hard to beat this 

budweiser-beer-can-fishing-lure-s.thumb.jpg.ee3b7c29f680462217626ad5ebb329af.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×