I am seriously considering dropping the money and buying an abu garcia Veritas but the only thing holding me back is the stories I've read about the rod blank randomly snapping can anybody comment on frequency of this happening, is this a common problem with abu garcia rods. 

Good rods, I've never heard of a rod snapping randomly. Most of the time its user error. 

I have 2 of the 2.0's. They are my jig rods and I set the hook hard. Never had an issue other than a guide insert falling out. Abu sent me a new rod for 9 bucks and I kept and fixed the other one. Great customer service

The Gen 1 had some issues, but the Gen 2 has been good to me. 

Picked up 2 of the 2.0s during last Abu clearance ($32/each - 7'6" MH baitcaster and 7' MH spinning).  1 season in, I have no complaints.  Got my last 2 PBs with either one of them.  Being MHs, they do feel like broomsticks, but still light and pretty sensitive.  I would buy more in a heartbeat (especially if they ever went for $32).

I have a few Abu rods. All are good. Never any problems. 

I have owned every generation of Veritas rods. the 1st gen had a serious issue with breakage but was corrected towards the end of their cycle. I will say that as the generations moved along the stiffer the blank became. Abu rods always seem underrated but a 6'6" Med spinning rod is like fishing with a broom handle.

I have a 2.0. 7'3" MH casting to be specific. It's been durable for me in the nearly two years I've owned it. It's been my jig rod and I fish slop and set the hook very hard, no guide or blank issues here. Can't speak for the new ones 

I haven't run into any blank issues on the Veritas, but I have replaced many, many of the guides that have broke for a few people.  Also fixed one Villain that the entire rod in front of the reel seat came unglued from the handle.

I saw a post that says they have great customer service. This has not been my experience. I sent them several emails through their contact link and never got any response. I finally got my correct answer from someone on this site. I think this was around the time their company was bought by a different parent company. Someone was asleep at the switch. Anyway, that's been the turnoff for me with them.

• Like 1

I have three Veritas casting and one spinning rod.  I had one 2.0 snap a couple inches from the top.  Abu replaced it no questions. 

I closed my tailgate on another and Veritas and even though it was not warrantiable (SP?), they sold me a replacement at a steep discount.  Great customer service.

10 hours ago, the reel ess said:

I saw a post that says they have great customer service. This has not been my experience. I sent them several emails through their contact link and never got any response. I finally got my correct answer from someone on this site. I think this was around the time their company was bought by a different parent company. Someone was asleep at the switch. Anyway, that's been the turnoff for me with them.

Same experience here with CS. I've even been consistently hung up on while trying to get brand new defective reels fixed! I had 2 veritas break on the cast before I wrote off Abu completely. I have a winch and an MGX left but sold everything else. Never again! 

• Like 1

I've had a Veritas (first gen, no holes in the bottom of the grip) for 2 years now, not a single complaint. 7-Med. Medium is more of a medium heavy. EXTREMELY sensitive.

edit: I baby my stuff, bank fish, and have never talked with customer service. So if you have an issue, who knows how it'll go.