Slade Carroll

Best ratl trap size and colors and fineness worm alternatives

Ok guys so I’ve been looking at different lipless cranks lately and I usually buy those 2 dollar cotton Cordell ones I only have two of them and have never caught a fish on either of them but I wanted to step up my game to a ratl trap and I wanted to ask what is the best all around size for a ratl trap for big largemouth.Im looking for a red color to mimic a craw in my lake it’s sort of shallow but a ton of grass algae and silt it’s pretty clear but murky like chocolate milk on windy days so what’s the best color for my situation and lake? Also do you fellas know any good cheap alternatives to fineness worms something I could find at Walmart and a good alternative to June bug color for my lake if you think you can help me reply above.-Slade

The standard 1/2 ounce ratl-trap works for me. I’ve caught big bass on a crawdad colored one and chrome as well.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LonnieP said:

The standard 1/2 ounce ratl-trap works for me. I’ve caught big bass on a crawdad colored one and chrome as well.

Ok thanks

521 Toledo Gold 1/2oz

558 Delta Craw 1/2 oz

524 Creole Craw 1/2 oz

587 Rayburn Red Craw 1/2 oz

820 Red Chrome 1/2 oz

I do have some discontinued 5/8 oz Pro Traps

These have been my Achilles heal and have not been a big producer.  I do plan on revisiting there for LM over submerged grass

1 hour ago, NHBull said:

These have been my Achilles heal and have not been a big producer.  I do plan on revisiting there for LM over submerged grass

Well I gotta figure out how to use them because my lakes are all shallow and full of grass and silt so I’m hoping it’ll produce for me

1 hour ago, Catt said:

521 Toledo Gold 1/2oz

558 Delta Craw 1/2 oz

524 Creole Craw 1/2 oz

587 Rayburn Red Craw 1/2 oz

820 Red Chrome 1/2 oz

I do have some discontinued 5/8 oz Pro Traps

Delta craw definitely looked cool to me I liked all the red yellow and orange do you think 1ounce or 1 1/2 ounce or 3/4 ounce would be over kill?

• Like 1

In murky water the Bill Lewis Rat-L-Trap in the Purple Tiger color has been killer for me catching bass and crappie. Dick's had a buy 2, get one free deal a while ago and I bought two different sized chrome ones and on a lark I picked up the funky purple and green one.

Funny thing - I don't think I've caught any bass on the chrome ones.

I had not caught too many on a lipless crank either, until my dad, my son and I took a guys trip to Guntersville 2 years ago. We hired a Bassmaster Elite Pro to guide for us our first day. He took us out and we did practically nothing but lipless through the weeds. And I mean through the weeds, not over. He had us throw them out and let them sink into the weeds then rip them through, let them sink again, rip through again and repeat. Caught 4 bass in 30 minutes. My dad and I even doubled up at one point. Never had tried that before, or would have ever thought to, but it works!! It was similar to a reaction strike when it pulled through each time. He was using what are now Booyah lipless crankbaits, like 5/8 Oz I think. BPS also has similar ones in an XPS set of 5 different colors for 16 bucks.

2 minutes ago, bobbyg said:

I had not caught too many on a lipless crank either, until my dad, my son and I took a guys trip to Guntersville 2 years ago. We hired a Bassmaster Elite Pro to guide for us our first day. He took us out and we did practically nothing but lipless through the weeds. And I mean through the weeds, not over. He had us throw them out and let them sink into the weeds then rip them through, let them sink again, rip through again and repeat. Caught 4 bass in 30 minutes. My dad and I even doubled up at one point. Never had tried that before, or would have ever thought to, but it works!! It was similar to a reaction strike when it pulled through each time. He was using what are now Booyah lipless crankbaits, like 5/8 Oz I think. BPS also has similar ones in an XPS set of 5 different colors for 16 bucks.

Cool thanks

Color light blue shad colors, or purple. Red is always good too.

6 minutes ago, Koz said:

In murky water the Bill Lewis Rat-L-Trap in the Purple Tiger color has been killer for me catching bass and crappie. Dick's had a buy 2, get one free deal a while ago and I bought two different sized chrome ones and on a lark I picked up the funky purple and green one.

Funny thing - I don't think I've caught any bass on the chrome ones.

Ya I have a chrome Cordell and I have not caught one on it either it’s really scratched up though anyway thanks!

12 minutes ago, Slade Carroll said:

Well I gotta figure out how to use them because my lakes are all shallow and full of grass and silt so I’m hoping it’ll produce for me

Delta craw definitely looked cool to me I liked all the red yellow and orange do you think 1ounce or 1 1/2 ounce or 3/4 ounce would be over kill?

I've caught bass on  a 3/4 oz but I've only use 1-1 1/2:oz is for big salt water fish 

1 minute ago, Catt said:

I've caught bass on  a 3/4 oz but I've only use 1-1 1/2:oz is for big salt water fish 

Like striper?

27 minutes ago, Slade Carroll said:

Like striper?

Bonita or Cobia 😉

9 hours ago, Catt said:

Bonita or Cobia 😉

And everything else. I usually take the rear hook off put a tiny bit of bucktail or feathers on the rear, and change out the front hook to a sturdy double hook. You can cast it, vertical jig it, or troll it. I have a couple with no paint left and teeth marks that still catch fish. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Slade Carroll said:

I have pretty much stuck with 1/2 oz models switching to a 1/4 oz when the bite was tough. I have landed 40" class musky on a 1/2 oz and had bigger fish chase them, so haven't seen a need to go bigger yet. I think the rattles and action of a trap and RES make them fish bigger than they actually are, they punch a pretty big hole coming through the water.

For me, size mostly a matter of depth.  A heavier bait will run a deeper at the same speed.

11 hours ago, bobbyg said:

We hired a Bassmaster Elite Pro to guide for us our first day. He took us out and we did practically nothing but lipless through the weeds. And I mean through the weeds, not over. He had us throw them out and let them sink into the weeds then rip them through, let them sink again, rip through again and repeat. Caught 4 bass in 30 minutes.

This is interesting to me. I’m relatively new to fishing and have caught maybe 1 or 2 fish on lipless crankbaits. I tend to shy away from crankbaits because they are too frustrating for me in that they get snagged up in the grass and weeds where I fish a lot; to the point where I am reeling in a small salad

Unless I’m missing something I’m not understanding how you’re getting fish if you’re crankbait is all mucked  up with weeds?

Also I’d be curious to know the specs on the rod that you are using. Thanks

Well, you do end up with having "some" weeds when it gets back to the boat, but not as many as I was expecting. When you rip it through you pull up and pretty hard, which makes the bait come toward you with the hooks behind the body, so most of the weeds were tangle around the o ring where the line was tied, not on the hooks. Down in Alabama it was mainly grass type weeds, so not big balls of weeds, just a few long grass strands each cast. As for rod, it was a 6.5' MH rod, think it was Abu Garcia Revo reels, don't know any more details about his equipment. . .I've slept since then.

• Thanks 1

If you're buying super spots I would stick with the 1/2 oz size.  I would use chrome/blue back and a red, or orange, color for your lake conditions.

So it looks like size does matter!!! :)

My lipless is a 1/4 ounce chrome with a black back.

Of course, I throw others but usually the 1/4 ounce chrome with black back produces strikes.

As for red colors, check out the Strike King One-Eyed Shad lipless crankbaits for their "red" colors and you will find the ones I throw.

Now, what are good alternatives to finesse worms?

Answer: Nothing. Nothing is less expensive than a 20-pack of Zoom finesse worms in the colors of your choice other than other brands that may be less expensive.

Two mistakes most anglers make!

Ricochet em of stumps & knee-n-reel 😉

1/2oz is the overall best size for me and color didn't matter as much as weight.

As for finesse worms you will find it hard to beat the price of a pack of Zoom finesse worms or swamp crawlers.

Allen