Jump to content
EGbassing

Just can't catch one...

Recommended Posts

For months I was catching at least one bass every trip in the pond that I fish. Now I just can't get a bite. I've tried everything. It's been weeks since I've even gotten one bite. It's weird, because 3 weeks ago I was catching a ton, and now they either aren't in the places I'm fishing, or they aren't biting. I've been fishing shallow cover, but I'm wondering if they've all gone out to deeper water due to the heat. (It's been 95 degrees the past few days...) Any advice would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to go deep to start getting bit again as well. The heat has wreaked havoc on fishing.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Glaucus said:

The heat has wreaked havoc on fishing.

and this fisherman.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried fishing in the morning or evening? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Describe the pond . How deep , clear , weed growth....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pond do heat up just about as fast as the air temp does. if you are fishing a 1 acre pond you cant bet the water temp is close to 3 degrees lower. in hot times it is usually better to fish moving waters such as creeks and streams. i have a small boat so i can drop in to a 12 ft wide creek just about anywhere. so i find a lake and trace the creeks and streams and where i can get to just on the road or close by and it is on like donkey kong...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my area the first four weeks or so when the heat kicks in are brutal times for bass fishing. Unless you happen to drop a bait right in front of their face you usually don't get bit. Keep in mind that I fish small and medium sized lagoons that are almost uniform in depth and don't get deeper than 7 or 8 feet.

 

I imagine that during this period the bass are usually feeding when I'm asleep. Bank fishing at night is a no-go here because of the abundance of alligators.

 

But in the past few years, usually around the second or third week of July the fishing starts to pick up again. Maybe the bass become more acclimated to the heat or maybe with their metabolism they start feeding during the day out of necessity. Either way, I'm looking forward to the next few weeks when they are active again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By chance, has the pond dried up?  If so, then I think I know the reason for your struggles...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, scaleface said:

Describe the pond . How deep , clear , weed growth....

About 7 feet at the deepest, fairly stained, some weeds around the shoreline.

34 minutes ago, Koz said:

In my area the first four weeks or so when the heat kicks in are brutal times for bass fishing. Unless you happen to drop a bait right in front of their face you usually don't get bit. Keep in mind that I fish small and medium sized lagoons that are almost uniform in depth and don't get deeper than 7 or 8 feet.

 

I imagine that during this period the bass are usually feeding when I'm asleep. Bank fishing at night is a no-go here because of the abundance of alligators.

 

But in the past few years, usually around the second or third week of July the fishing starts to pick up again. Maybe the bass become more acclimated to the heat or maybe with their metabolism they start feeding during the day out of necessity. Either way, I'm looking forward to the next few weeks when they are active again.

Yeah, seems like that's what happened here. Hopefully it picks up again soon.

46 minutes ago, WDE said:

Have you tried fishing in the morning or evening? 

A couple times. No bites. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 foot deep , I'm guessing a fairly small pond . I would try going to the dam if there is one,  if not   the deepest   side and fan cast some bottom bouncing baits like Texas rigs , grubs ... Thats the only way to find out if they are deep or not .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7PM to 7AM

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there's weeds right against the bank along the shoreline, my guess is they're right in front of you while you're casting into the middle of the pond. Water in 7' isn't going to be much cooler so under that grass is going to likely be just as cool plus have more oxygen because of the weeds, add in the fact that's where a lot of the food is, so that's where the bass want to be. I've been fishing a very small, shallow lake with very little features lately except an undercut bank and some water willows lining the shorelines. Water temps are in the mid 80's, max depth is 10' but mostly 6' or less, 90% of the fish I'm catching are right on the grass or undercut banks because of the factors I listed being there.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably overfishing it. Give the pond a rest

 

It doesn't take very many trips to pressure a small pond

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

If there's weeds right against the bank along the shoreline, my guess is they're right in front of you while you're casting into the middle of the pond. Water in 7' isn't going to be much cooler so under that grass is going to likely be just as cool plus have more oxygen because of the weeds, add in the fact that's where a lot of the food is, so that's where the bass want to be. I've been fishing a very small, shallow lake with very little features lately except an undercut bank and some water willows lining the shorelines. Water temps are in the mid 80's, max depth is 10' but mostly 6' or less, 90% of the fish I'm catching are right on the grass or undercut banks because of the factors I listed being there.  

I have been fishing the shoreline cover, but haven't been catching them. I guess they just aren't biting for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

If there's weeds right against the bank along the shoreline, my guess is they're right in front of you while you're casting into the middle of the pond. Water in 7' isn't going to be much cooler so under that grass is going to likely be just as cool plus have more oxygen because of the weeds, add in the fact that's where a lot of the food is, so that's where the bass want to be. I've been fishing a very small, shallow lake with very little features lately except an undercut bank and some water willows lining the shorelines. Water temps are in the mid 80's, max depth is 10' but mostly 6' or less, 90% of the fish I'm catching are right on the grass or undercut banks because of the factors I listed being there.  

This.  Use a lure you can literally throw into the weeds of the shore line.  I've been using Texas rig for this with mild success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LionHeart said:

This.  Use a lure you can literally throw into the weeds of the shore line.  I've been using Texas rig for this with mild success.

They're the kind that you'd snag or break off if you threw a lure into them, but I could throw something along the edges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, EGbassing said:

They're the kind that you'd snag or break off if you threw a lure into them, but I could throw something along the edges.

What equipment are you using ?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, scaleface said:

What equipment are you using ?  

MH/F White Bird baitcast rod paired with an Abu Garcia black max reel, and 40LB. Powerpro.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try a hollow bodied frog right in the middle of the day in the thickest weed cover.  You may not land one but you may be notified of their presence!  Then follow up with a Texas rigged worm or fluke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The temps have risen in our area too. Very hot and humid. I've fished at sunup the last few trips in and around deeper weeds. Slow fishing a plastic worm has worked well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say try dusk or dawn, and if you have access to a deeper spot, try that. Given that you have a MH/F rod, throwing a hollow body frog into the weedy area seems like a good idea as well.

 

I just got back out fishing (stayed inside during the heat because I have a hard time drinking fluids because of chemo) and tried to catch some trout but even all the baitfish moved into deeper water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, EGbassing said:

MH/F White Bird baitcast rod paired with an Abu Garcia black max reel, and 40LB. Powerpro.

That is plenty heavy enough to fish in the weeds . Go with a weightless Senko or something similar and throw it in there.  .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there another body of water you can fish or do you live in Iran?

Largemouth fishing is tough in the Middle East this time of year...I would assume

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, scaleface said:

That is plenty heavy enough to fish in the weeds . Go with a weightless Senko or something similar and throw it in there.  .

I tried a senko and it just sits on top of the weeds every time. Should I try punching through?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing poles

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×