BubbaBassin’

How to fish a boat ramp.

I’ve heard from many anglers that boat ramps can be big producers for bank anglers. How might one go about fishing a boat ramp. Lure selection etc. 

Firstly, I don't know what the laws are where you live, but many ramps explicitly state "no fishing within xxx feet of ramp". If there is no sign and you have checked your local laws, make sure to realize that the primary purpose of the ramp is still to launch boats, so just be respectful to people pulling and launching boats and don't get in their way. 

That being said many ramps can be a great transition along the bank. Maybe it's a weedy shoreline and all of a sudden there's concrete, or sand etc. That edge can be good to fish. Depending how deep the ramp goes I might try some jigs or worms where the ramp stops too. Some transition nicely into the bottom, others have a considerable lip at the end. And depending how much use the ramp gets there might even be a cleared "trail" through nearby vegetation by boats coming in and out. That can be good cover too. 

Don't overlook the hole and hump just past the end of any ramp where people routinely power load their boats too.  The prop wash tends to scour a nice clean hole and move the silts out a bit further 

• Like 1

Drag a <insert favorite jig/plastic> down it to the bottom and across it off both sides at different angles. Just don't do it when it's being used. Every ramp I've fished has produced for me at some time. 

• Like 2

Step 1, if its busy with boats launching turn around and find somewhere else to fish.

Step 2, if you absolutely have to fish it dont bring your kids, setup 8 poles, lawn chairs and coolers right on the dock, and then get offended when boaters are using it for its intended purpose. 

• Like 1

Fish both sides and the bottom of the ramp as well as the loading dock, if it's allowed. 

• Like 1

There probably is not many snags except maybe rocks . Bouncing a   grub on a jig-head  should be a good choice .

Most of the restrictions are aimed at people angling on shore at the ramp.  I've never seen any restrictions on fishing from a boat.  Obviously, if someone is launching or retrieving, don't fire in there.  There's often a blowout hole at the end of the ramp from power loading.  There, and the corners are my hot spots.  Fish it with whatever lure you feel they on that day. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MassYak85 said:

Firstly, I don't know what the laws are where you live, but many ramps explicitly state "no fishing within xxx feet of ramp". If there is no sign and you have checked your local laws, make sure to realize that the primary purpose of the ramp is still to launch boats, so just be respectful to people pulling and launching boats and don't get in their way. 

Around here you setup your 4 lawn chairs next to the sign that states "No fishing from the boat ramp or dock". Next when anyone actually wants to use the ramp for loading or unloading a boat cast a bunch of lines with bobbers around. The bobbers prevent people from actually using the ramp for what it was built for. If someone says anything either pretend like you do not understand English or just state that you were there first and will not move. All this is based on my experience with the boat ramps in our area.

Allen

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

on my home lake there are alot of boat ramps. 99% of them belong to individual property owners and i NEVER pass them by without making several casts.