YoTone

Why arent ㄱod weights more predominately listed in their description?

The rods I use for frogging really seem to fatigue me . Im finding you have to do a hard search for their weight. Isnt the weight of a rod one of the more important aspects for applications where walking or  jerking a lure using the wrist?

Rod weight and power are related but not directly so.  If you want to pay the steez xbd frog rod is amazing.  If you want to save money the gym is always an option.

• Like 1

thanks for the advice but I do lift weights.

It's an advantage to rod makers to claim light weight rod without actually stating the weights. When the rod isn't particularly light weight then the balance takes its place.

Rod weight includes reel seat, handle materials and length, guides and blank length.

8' Rod weighs more then 7', MH more ML, etc.

Tom

4 minutes ago, WRB said:

It's an advantage to rod makers to claim light weight rod without actually stating the weights. When the rod isn't particularly light weight then the balance takes its place.

Rod weight includes reel seat, handle materials and length, guides and blank length.

8' Rod weighs more then 7', MH more ML, etc.

Tom

OK but then why are reel weights listed though?

16 minutes ago, YoTone said:

OK but then why are reel weights listed though?

No variables that affect weight and has become a marketing factor. If more anglers insisted on rod weight from the mfr to sell more, it would be listed. I agree, the weight should be listed and some brands do.

Tom

1 hour ago, Angry John said:

Rod weight and power are related but not directly so.  If you want to pay the steez xbd frog rod is amazing.  If you want to save money the gym is always an option.

I like saving money so I use Ugly Stiks or saltwater inshore rods when fishing with hollow belly frogs. I feel that heavy hammer dumbbell curls ( 70 pound dumbbells per hand for 8-12 reps ) makes fishing easier for me and maybe that is why I do not need a ''light'' rod for frog fishing.

• Like 1

Maybe i should start doing wrist curls then create a weight training program suited for bass fishing. LMAO

having problems with hook sets? Join now and  Ill show you  one simple trick in the gym  that will solve that problem that no one in the industry wants you to know about!! 

6 minutes ago, soflabasser said:

I like saving money so I use Ugly Stiks or saltwater inshore rods when fishing with hollow belly frogs. I feel that heavy hammer dumbbell curls ( 70 pound dumbbells per hand for 8-12 reps ) makes fishing easier for me and maybe that is why I do not need a ''light'' rod for frog fishing.

Only 70???

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ratherbfishin1 said:

Only 70???

I can curl 85's per hand but don't want to hurt myself. 70's per hand is more than enough weight and I often drop down to 50's if I want to do sets of 15-20 reps. You lift weights and has it made fishing easier for you? 

Just now, soflabasser said:

I can curl 85's per hand but don't want to hurt myself. 70's per hand is more than enough weight and I often drop down to 50's if I want to do sets of 15-20 reps. You lift weights too? 

Haha, you win😂

Just now, ratherbfishin1 said:

Haha, you win😂

LOL. On a serious note a good workout plan will make you stronger which will make bass fishing much easier.

• Like 3

The bass stand no chance against this guy. He's so serious about training he eats raw bass for breakfast!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Joshua van Wyk said:

The bass stand no chance against this guy. He's so serious about training he eats raw bass for breakfast!

Have eaten bass, they taste ok but I prefer hogfish, grouper, snapper, other saltwater fish.

This is not rocket science.  Get a postal scale and weigh them.  Or buy one of many other nice, very accurate scales on line.

There are marketing and logistic reasons for not labeling weight, but the real reason is manufacturing tolerances. No 2 rods are going to weigh the same, so most won't actually weigh the label, so now customers have a rod that either fatigues LMB anglers prematurely (apparently that's not that hard to do) or one which failed prematurely because of lack of material while in Mr curls' guns...

• Like 1

Maybe it's the balance of the rod that is causing issues. A very light and balanced rod is a joy to fish. 

• Like 2

Getting back on topic, how a rod balances is just as important as overall weight, even for a frog rod. A balanced rod is more comfortable to fish. I'm off to the gym.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Columbia Craw said:

Getting back on topic, how a rod balances is just as important as overall weight, even for a frog rod. A balanced rod is more comfortable to fish. I'm off to the gym.

If you fished more often with a heavier rod you could skip the gym. ;)

I think the only muscle you dumbells are exercising is between your ears.

A production fishing rod isn't going to vary more then 3 grams within the same model and length.

St Croix list rod weights for each model and length, should give you a ball park for equal rods.

My ALX heavy 6 power casting jig rod is 6'10" with a 2" fore grip and weighs 3.8 oz. for reference.

Tom

• Like 1

Balance is also important.  I frog with both an old Orochi XX Perfect Pitch and a Hyuga 72H and the Perfect Pitch is easier to twitch all day than the Hyuga despite the Perfect Pitch feeling much heavier in hand without reel and held by the fulcrum point.  I haven't weighed them but it feels like the Perfect Pitch is significant heavier but is much better balanced.  It is a heavier rod but when grasping it by the reel seat it floats in my hand and responds to twitching movement crisply.

8 hours ago, WRB said:

A production fishing rod isn't going to vary more then 3 grams within the same model and length.

I have lots of $$$ to put down against anyone who thinks this is true. 

11 minutes ago, reason said:

As a builder who weighs every blank I get, I assure you that weight variation is very small.  Always either right on or at most a few hundreths of an ounce off.  The other components will not vary that much, and even the wraps and epoxy will be essentially the same for all rods of the same design.  How many rods of the same model have you weighed?  Tom is right on.

1 minute ago, MickD said:

As a builder who weighs every blank I get, I assure you that weight variation is very small.  Always either right on or at most a few hundreths of an ounce off.  The other components will not vary that much, and even the wraps and epoxy will be essentially the same for all rods of the same design.  How many rods of the same model have you weighed?  Tom is right on.

You are speaking of custom rods, tom stated production rods. My offer still stands. I haven't kept count of how many rods/blanks I have weighed, but it's probably several hundred. And just to be clear, I'm not saying some models from some manufacturer's may or may not be within any particular tolerance, just that "A production fishing rod isn't going to vary more then 3 grams..." is an inaccurate statement, both in practice and logically. And since one can do dollars to donuts, we can do $ to custom sticks if you'd like (If you can get them to within one gram) :) 

3 hours ago, reason said:

If you talking about Ugly Sticks you may be right, production quality rods + - 1/8 oz or 3 grams is lot.

Tom

• Like 1